Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed on this one... >

Disappointed on this one...

Disappointed on this one...

Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Yes more contras, some of the blocks have the same value and need more contrast, the middle ones in the last 3 rows seem to have good contrasy, but the other seem to close in value that from far you can't relally define the pattern
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Wow, you really got alot of great ideas here from QB members! I think I'd have a hard time choosing between them. I really like the idea of using the dark, low contrast blocks all around the center like a border. That way they'd be "hidden" blocks, which are waay cool! I also really like the suggestion to put hourglass blocks in between each block to make them look framed and set on point. And I like the idea of putting solid color blocks between the pieced ones, then quilting in the pieced block pattern on those. Tough choices! Whatever you choose, I think it'll look smashing!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

I really like these blocks.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
Are you planning on making more blocks? If so, I would focus on making ones with more contrast like the ones in the center. They are really cool blocks. Alternate the blocks that have low contrast with ones with great contrast. Use sashing between the blocks.
That was my initial thought, too. The hourglass is another cool idea. It will end up great...don't worry!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:21 AM

I like the blocks you've created. If you will set them using a solid sashing strip (maybe with a contrast corner block at each intersection), putting your high-contrast blocks in the center and your low-contrast along the outside edges, I think you will be pleased with the results. There is NOTHING wrong with anything you've done so far. Once you get this masterpiece on a bed, you'll look at it and think, "WOW!!"
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 AM

I would put sashing and really like the idea of extending the corner of the square out into the sashing as suggested earlier. Having the low contrast blocks around the edge makes sense to me with higher contrast blocks in the center. Thanks for sharing and asking for suggestions. We are all helped when we can see things like this and the resulting comments. I have had times where something seemed good in thought but in practice the contrast was not there. I'm getting better but not where I want to be yet.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 AM

More contrast or the hour glass idea but I like your blocks. Also the lower right the pinwheel is put together wrong. It will be a very nice quilt
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 AM

I think you will find if you use a light sashing between the blocks you will love it. I had a bunch of blocks that I hated until i put them all together with a beige sashing. I called it my ugly quilt but once done everyone loved it. I get more compliments on that one then any I have done since.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:09 AM

Love the high contrast blocks but think the others let the pinwheel and the outside square get lost. Unless it's just the photo. Also, do you plan to use sashing? (a whole other problem! ask me how I know!).
Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 AM

I agree that you need more contrast and I would put sashing between the blocks also.