Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed, please help.

I agree, you have an eye for color. Love what you did with it. I think I would at least stitch in the ditch to help keep the batting in place.

The same thing happened to me ....I had a sampler quilt and I really hated the way she did it. Oh well, thats why I am trying to learn to quilt it myself.

Your quilt is gorgeous & I can see why you're disappointed with the quilting on it. I have quilted on a long arm for at least 15 years & I can say that I definitely would want to know if you were unhappy with my work. I have actually refunded money for a bad blooper I made on a quilt. I felt so bad about it because you just can't replace a quilt & once the damage was done, it couldn't be undone. I cried right along with my customer.

I think I would take the advice of the professional long arm quilters, just talk to her. There is a huge difference sometimes between what we think we say and what people hear. It would be easier for her to do a fix using the same machine and thread than for you to try to match what she has done. It's a lovely quilt, what ever you opt to do I'm sure it will be well loved. I think the heart idea was great!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would contact the quilter, and ask her to redo or add more. God bless.

I didn't think of leaves. That might really be nice with the flowered print.

sorry it was not what you expected. you need to take it back to the quilter for more work.

Blog Entries
    Oh my.. I'm sorry she did that... It is such a pretty quilt and I would be very disappointed to. More than disappointed, it would have made me sick. I guess I'd think about it for awhile and then probably take out that quilting and either stitch in the ditch or have someone else do it. That poor quilting doesn't add a thing to the quilt... in fact I think it detracts. I would have to do something. I think it would be better if it just had the same pattern going the opposite way.. criss crossed lines.. too bad, so much work to be unhappy with the finished quilt.

Blog Entries
    I love the quilt block and the colors that you used. Beautiful quilt. I am not a long arm quilter and haven't sent any out, I do my own and you can tell it isn't a "professional " job but they have won ribbons and look pretty good. But I even do more than that on what I do. I would definitely let the lady know that I was dissatisfied and ask that she compensate you somehow, either with added quilting or some money back. I agree, possibly the tic tac toe type or something else. I am sorry that you have been 'taken to the cleaners' so to speak.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to see what the whole quilt looks like. It's kind of hard to tell from just the picture of the block. I personally do not like things 'over quilted' if it is a quilt that would be used. The quilting on many of those quilts looks beautiful but my experience is that it makes the quilt too stiff for a quilt that is going to be used and loved. I find that is the trend, though, quilting every half inch to an inch. It is a personal choice and if you don't like it you should let the quilter know so that she/he can discuss options with future customers. If I were the quilter I'd like to know why I am not getting any more work from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S
    I think I would take the advice of the professional long arm quilters, just talk to her. There is a huge difference sometimes between what we think we say and what people hear. It would be easier for her to do a fix using the same machine and thread than for you to try to match what she has done. It's a lovely quilt, what ever you opt to do I'm sure it will be well loved. I think the heart idea was great!
    I agree...talking doesn't have to mean confrontation. If I were accepting payment for any work, I would really like all my customers to feel they had value for money and the work was of high standard. If we don't communicate, problems compound, no good for anyone. Let us know how you get on, and by the way...the quilt is beautiful.

You quilt is beautiful and your DGD will love it regardless of the quilting. With less quilting the quilt will be softer, which is very nice for a child. Non-quilters are much less likely to even notice the quilting, they look more at the quilt patern and colors. I would leave it alone rather than chance making it worse. It really is beautiful. If I was given that quilt I would be absolutely delighted and your grandaughter will be too :)

You have to remember that the people on this board are quilters so their opinions will be much different than members of the non-quilting world. Your grandaughter will love that quilt.

I agree that it depends on the batting that you used. It looks to me as though she was trying to let the beauty of your blocks dominate the design. If its a good batting, you will get away with leaving it as is. If not, I would take it back to her and ask that she make it right.

Did you know you can stipple quilt with out dropping the feed dogs. I do it all the time, it gives me more control on where the quilt is going without it sliding every where and the stitches are better than when I drop the feed dogs. Try it out on something else first, but I would either sew around the blocks in a SID method and stipple then if you want THEN remove the other sewing if you want to. That way it wont have to be re-pinned.

Blog Entries
    Love your print and you did a great job picking the other colors.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    Did you know you can stipple quilt with out dropping the feed dogs. I do it all the time, it gives me more control on where the quilt is going without it sliding every where and the stitches are better than when I drop the feed dogs. Try it out on something else first, but I would either sew around the blocks in a SID method and stipple then if you want THEN remove the other sewing if you want to. That way it wont have to be re-pinned.
    Annya:
    What size stitch do you use, and what about the tension? I'm interested. Maybe I'll try this on something small to see how it looks to me.

8-)

It sure is a beautiful block, love the colors!

I think( too much fabic)is right , I would make it right. Because I would want to know and so I din't loose jobs because some one sayed that I was not good at my longarm quilting. I had one that they didn't like. I took it all out and redid it.she was realy happy when I got done with is the second time. I was just starting doing longarm quilting , I have three more for her.

I use the normal stitch and the same tension if the same cotton on both bobbin and top. But get a piece of sandwiched fabric as if it is the quilt and practice first until you are happy with the way it looks. Put a new needle in too and take your time or big stitches will appear and spoil it. Check the tension to see if both top and bottom are good. Lately I found that I cant use Rasant and Threadart cottons together, it doesn't see properly and I have had to unpick a whole big block, most annoying when you think it is right only to find out it is not. Remember practice, practice, practice. The more you do the better your work. GOOD LUCK. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    I made a quilt for my DDIL, sent it out to be longarm quilted, it came back and I loved it. But the lady took a long time to get it back to me. I know why now. She is probably the only longarm quilter in the area. That was the first time I had sent something out. So I made quilts for my DGD's, used someone different. The first one came back....and I am not happy with the quilting. At least, not the amount of quilting. In a 12 inch square there are three squiggled lines. This is for a little 10 year old who isn't going to just lay it on the bed, she'll use it.....
    Question, do you think I should quilt around the large square then, around all the background white fabric, or all the squares....help, please...
    I have finished my DGD's quilt. I decided to SID around all the 12 inch squares, then around the 4 cards, and down the green sashing. This holds it together nicely, and you can't see the SID very well that I did. I wouldn't say this is my best quilt, but at least by the time she redoes her bedroom, I may know how to machine quilt much better than just SID. So, I'm attaching the Quilt, quilt back and the little quilt is a coordinating quilt for her American Girl Doll. I've had fun and I know she'll love it.

Thank you all for your ideas and help with this. I did try to do the heart idea, but my machine stitches much differently than hers does. And I left the waves in it so it isn't all just straight stitching.

Front
    Name:  Attachment-101934.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  61.4 KB

Doll Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-101936.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  49.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    you did a great job!

It is a beautiful quilt, and you did a great job of salvaging the quilting on it. Good job! She'll love it!

She will love it. Great job!

Blog Entries
    It looks beautiful and you're happy. That's all that matters. So glad you came up with a compromise. Your GD will love it! :D

Blog Entries
    Really a pretty quilt, looks good and any young lady would love that. Good job Grandmother!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast