Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
disappointed in quilting >

disappointed in quilting

disappointed in quilting

Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

First I have to say that I love your design. You did a fantastic job coming up with that...I especially love the borders. I agree with what everyone is saying...I really like the quilt and I know it will be loved and appreciated...they will never really notice the quilting in all probablity..most people don't pay that much attention.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 AM

I am sorry it happened to you....but may be...its a turning point for you to start quilting your projects by yourself.... :thumbup:
Old 12-15-2009, 07:45 AM

I saw the pics of your quilt and i am with you. I don't think the work in the white area fits with your design. But that is just me.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I'm with MadQuilter on this one...and I like it very much.

There is a certain attachment you get with artwork, and quilts are no exeption. Maybe you feel that it isn't entirely "yours" anymore? Perhaps, when you have handquilted the centre you will regain "ownership".
I hand quilt too and the few times I sent out a quilt I feel that it is not entirely mine. But on that note; your quilt is beautiful.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 AM

I took a quilt (I can't remember the exact name) Dream weaver to the quilter. I even left the magazine that the picture of the quilt was in. I wanted her to enhance the woven appearance on the quilt. The quilt was made out of blue and yellow daisy fabric. The quilter quilted flowers all over it. I was so angry. I told her I had left the picture, was willing to pay whatever it cost to have it quilted the way I wanted it. She gave me a gift certificate to have another quilt quilted but I was so disappointed that she did not follow my instructions. She said, "I almost called you when I decided to quilt it with the flowers". I told her that it was not her decision, I had given her very complete instructions and she had agreed to the design I wanted. Needless to say, she will not quilt another quilt of mine.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Having had several quilts done by long arm quilters, I have had mixed results. From my experience, it is extremely important to be as specific as possible regarding how you want the quilt to look.

(and then repeat your directions plus writing them down--I did that with one LAQ and got a completely different design than we had agreed upon--go figure...)

Even being very specific doesn't mean you will get what you want. (It is one of the reasons I want to learn to FMQ.......)

You had a certain result in mind and I understand your disappointment. The upside of this situation is that the quilt (and quilting) is beautiful and the recipients will be so appreciative and will love it even though it did not meet your expectations.

That said, I know how it feels when untold hours have been spent on a quilt and the LAQ has a different "take" on it than you.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:22 AM

well I just love your design and the fabrics you chose are Awesome, I hope you can learn to at least like the quilt, my kids didn't turn out like I intended them too but I kept them anyway, and even learned to love them! just kidding, trying to lighten your mood.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

well actually that is a Baptist fan quilting design and looks good to me. maybe not exactly what you were imagining though.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:58 AM

Yes, same here with my first quilt. I was a real novice and chose a very well known prize winning quilter. Unless you paid for custom quilting it was his choice of pattern and thread. While it was just "ok" I was disappointed in the work and the fact that it took so long to get it back and there was no direct contact with him. I found a quilter at my favorite quilt shop and love her work! I look through her patterns with her help pick the thread. Appointments are made and kept in a timely manner. Don't give up! Visit the local shows, speak with LQS employees. Usually the quilts in the shops are done by their employees. We invest a lot of money and time in our quilts and we deserve to have them quilted by a true professional. (We don't drop off our kids, grand kids with just anyone.)
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
I am pretty sure my kids will be fine with it, in fact I don't think they would have appreciated the huge time investment had I hand quilted it.
Stunning quilt..... Here's the thing, to me, this quilt is more about the intricate piecing than the quilting. I think if you had done more, it would have taken away from the design of the quilt. You say your kids would not have appreciated the hand quilting... would they know any better with machine quilting??
They might do what I did and just look at the design of the quilt and not the quilting. I don't like quilts that have every inch quilted, I like a soft feel to the quilt and I think that is what you have here.