Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM

I was in Hancocks here today. I asked about classes . Said they didn't have them anymore.

I opened my email this evening and one of our guild members that teaches there and at local shops let me know she is going to have a beginners class. It will be six classes at 15 dollars a class and will have a finished quilttop at the end. I would take it just for the fun of it but it will be at a bad time for me and I would miss a couple classes. Sure a shame you don't live here... I know you would enjoy the classes.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM

I would and did. It was fun and you learned about color as you made your blocks. I used scrap and went home and then did the blocks using the good fabric. That way if there were any mistakes it was not the best fabric getting wasted and the teacher could help if there was a problem. But take it from me --make sure you have a sharp un-picker. Every one needs it even the more experienced quilter and if you make tiny holes in your work when you get home you will avoid the same mistakes with your good fabric. I suggest the second hand shop or old clothes and fabrics for practice.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 AM

Oh my word did you call the head office? I would tell them if there going to be that rude you'll shop on line for the thread .What is it with the with those stores? :?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:47 PM

I recently had a very disappointing experience with a major appliance store chain. I wrote a letter to the CEO and the local store manager. Just telling them I was so disappointed in the customer service. 3 weeks later, I received a $50 gift card in the mail. No apology, but money in the hand! lol
Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 AM

I guess it pays to speak up when we are unhappy. In the past I have spoken up and gotten nothing but also quit shopping at that store. In one case-the store went out of business so I guess they were not doing well at the time. Jere
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 PM

As someone who teaches quilt classes, I would say your experience was totally unacceptable. A person can be a fantastic quilter, but be unable to teach. A good resource is adult education classes. The goal of those classes is to teach, not to sell new products of gizmos. Unfortunately, many time lessons at quilt shops are for selling the latest fad.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 AM

Thanks for your response. I am looking for a good teacher here locally. In the meantime, am teaching myself as I progress on my first quilt. I found a book, Quilting 101 for Beginners, that has been wonderful in explaining step by step. So I continue to move forward regardless of the bad experience.

Originally Posted by Arleners
As someone who teaches quilt classes, I would say your experience was totally unacceptable. A person can be a fantastic quilter, but be unable to teach. A good resource is adult education classes. The goal of those classes is to teach, not to sell new products of gizmos. Unfortunately, many time lessons at quilt shops are for selling the latest fad.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 AM

I am really sorry to hear of so many bad and/or expensive class experiences. I have taught classes from beginners on up and the one thing I do at the end of the class is pass out a sheet for them to grade me, anonomously of course. This way I know if I need to make changes in future classes. I also let the students know that they can call or come see me for assistance, some of them still call or come 2 and 3 years after a class when they are stuck on something new.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe the next time you sign up for a class maybe you could suggest a grading sheet regarding the instruction given, how it was given, time spent, etc. and ask 'if there will be future in shop assistance' on this project after the class ends (if the classes were not taught well).

Longarm
Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 AM

That was suggested and when I have taught other types of classes I do the same. So, it is what it is for me at this point. Lesson learned! thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Sorry you had a disappointing class............I have taken classes, with good results. Also, some weren't as rewarding, not time to actually finish the project.........when I was teaching one of the problems was; everyone had a different level of skill...........therefore, some required a lot of time.........others just needed to be gently guided.........Also, I whispered frequently because the store owner wanted me to sell-sell products that weren't necessary or could be purchased from a chain store for less money. calla/Sue