Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointment >

Disappointment

Disappointment

Old 11-05-2013, 01:51 PM

I like it..
Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 PM

I don't understand your problem with your using white thread on the top. Because of the variety of colors of fabrics, no matter what color of thread you used, something won't stand out. So, I guess I don't understand why you think the front is so bad and the back is so good. ?? The white doesn't stand out on the back either.

Anyway, I think it is fine. I personally hate doing HST, so you have my admiration for even making this pattern!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:17 PM

If your toddler loves it, please keep it. Something about it speaks comfort and love to her. And if she drags it around till it's dirty, or she wants it close when she's sick (and happens to throw up or poo on it or poo), you won't mind in the least, will you? And you will always have it to remind yourself that you are not perfect. It keeps us humble and compassionate knowing that we all are somewhere on the learning curve of something. I myself am a toddler when it comes to quilting. I admire your colors, the fun design. That's what I see, not your blunders. And hey, I would personally love it if I could get all my mistakes out on ONE quilt! bwhahhahahaaa.

Knowing that we all have a learning curve keeps us humble.

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
I know I could easily give this as a gift to my sister in law or mother in law or my own mother and they would LOVE it. Heck my toddler is obsessed with it. It's the only top she would pull off the table and lay down on or try to carry around like its her wubbie.

I know I'm my own worst critic. I want to be good and I can't get better without practice but it's the not being perfect right off the bat that messes with me.

I'm going to put the binding on during nap time today. I am going to try the Elmer's glue trick though to hold the binding down for the back. I have the devil of a time with binding so hopefully this helps. Maybe I won't hate it so much if the binding turns out ok. Lol.

Thank you for the compliments. At least when it's all said and done I can say I tried.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 AM

Unfortunately the very first quilt I made did nothing for me, I loved the fabrics singularly, but once the quilt was together it just didn't appeal to me. I think I did a really good job at all the seaming lining up great, the pattern was relatively easy, it just didn't sparkle to me. When my sisters came up this summer I was showing them all my fabrics and UFO's when my oldest sister admired the darn thing so I gave it to her. She loves it, she has mentioned it a couple of times when we talk on the phone long-distance and she even said she only brings it out when she is expecting company so it stays special like she thinks it is. I've receive one of the nicest compliments I've ever had even if I didn't like the quilt.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 AM

Finish it, wash it, and then decide what you want to do with it. Sometimes washing will hide imperfections in the quilting. Don't be too hard on yourself- i like the quilt and life is too short for worries.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:42 AM

exactly what I'd have said until I saw your photos. I like this quilt. Our own eyes are the most critical. Put it aside and come back to it later with a fresh, new attitude!!...
Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I would put it aside and work on something else. Then go back and finish it and donate it to a homeless shelter or women's shelter. Some times it just takes a break from something that your not satisfied with to develope fresh eyes and the energy to finish.

Last edited by Debbie C; 11-06-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 AM

It's really not that bad! finish the binding and give to a charity! You will be blessed along with the person who gets it!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:59 AM

I think it's a very pretty quilt. I don't see a thing wrong with it. When I get a quilt I don't care for when it's done, I usually donate it as well. Then it will still keep someone warm instead of being hid away in my closet.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 AM

Wow, that's a lot of HST's. Not nearly as bad as you seem to think it is. I too, am waaaaay too critical of my work & never think it quite measures up but "let it go". Maybe if you don't look at it for a few days, you will feel differently.
I just finished taking one of my tops all apart because the 1 colour of blue that I had picked looked awful (IMHO). I had the whole top pieced & the more I looked at it, the more I hated it so I did what my head told me & that was to take it apart. Haven't gotten back to it yet but will in the near future, I hope. If you are still not happy with it I would give it to a charity (nursing home, hospital etc.) & someone is going to LOVE that quilt.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 AM

I have a baby quilt that I did with Minkee….it's in the corner on the floor and I kick it every once in awhile hoping it will change it's behavior…..that stuff stretches and gets all out of whack. I wound up making a different baby gift. I suppose I ought to toss it or give it to someone who can do something with it. It's the first time I've ever hated a creation.