Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged Long Arm Newbie... It's Harder Than I Thought! >

Discouraged Long Arm Newbie... It's Harder Than I Thought!

Discouraged Long Arm Newbie... It's Harder Than I Thought!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM

I learned on a 9" domestic machine on the frame but everything I learned, transferred over to my Voyager 17 SLR which I had to re-time before I could even use it--bought it used off ebay from someone that gave up.

First off, I think you discouraged yourself by trying to do feathers. Feathers are hard and even pros spend hours & hours & hours perfecting their feathers. You can tell who the quilter is from the style of their feathers.

Get really good at the meanders and loopies before stressing yourself out with feathers. Write names in cursive when you get tired of loopies. Puffy clouds was another way I practiced. I also used to draw my design--cats, hearts & stars were my favorite, with washable marker and quilt over that.

Sit down quilting at the machine is nothing like frame quilting. It takes totally different skills & muscles. My shoulders & wrists just cannot take the pressure of sit down quilting so a frame was the only way for me.

Also, is your frame level? Moving the big, heavy Voyager is difficult enough without trying to quilt uphill or keeping it from rolling down hill. My frame is on carpet on an uneven basement floor so leveling the frame is a constant battle for me and being level is even more critical with the 75 pound Voyager than it was with my 28 pound Elna.

Are you a member of the Hinterberg yahoo group? They are the absolute best about helping with Voyagers.

Pantographs were not for me. I prefer to draw/trace/copy my designs onto very thin paper and tape them to the quilt, then sew on the paper. Some people swear by press 'n' seal for this method but the bits of plastic left behind drove me nuts.

Lastly, I have no intention of entering my quilts in a show or quilting for others so my standards may be lower than others and the stitching while on the frame is much more noticeable than it is off the frame.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Remember when you learned to write-cook-drive-sew or whatever? You couldn't do it just right the first time. It's a wonder my poor DH didn't die of ptomaine before I learned to cook! FMQ is the same way. I am a beginner, too, and I find that half an hour or so of practice a day really helps. I have 2 old sheets with an old blanket for batting on my frame. I work on it some every day, using different thread colors each day, and I can see improvement in my stitching. Not perfect yet, but I'll get there, and you will too!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:31 PM

the sample sandwiches is really the way to go I put a piece the width of the machine (108) x 45 inches and just kept making circles and loops then tried hearts and leaves but I practiced for hours on sample fabric. go slow your machine should really fill like it is floating make sure your wheels and tracks are moving freely don't get discouraged it does get easier I've had my machine about three years and just quit my job to stay home and quilt full time its wonderful good luck you'll be fine
Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Can I ask how you built up your client base enough to quilt full time? I'm not that aggressive in my search for customers, but have been doing a lot of volunteer work, joined the local guild, etc. Most of my business is word of mouth, relatives, friends
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 PM

One great bit of advice that was given to me: the machine has an off button. When it gets too stressful or the hands get too tight----use it.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 AM

The first three months I had my longarm, I would take people in to show it....write my name in cursive to show them how awesome it was...and promptly turn it off! LOL It is all about practice and confidence. Rome wasn't built in a day. You are your own worst critic. Once you figure that out...keep in mind that it just doesn't matter as long as "you can't see it from a galloping horse". Just keep practicing. It will come!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:38 AM

Mark your quilt before you load it. Then just follow the pattern.
I bought a roll of border pattern that has stickey on the edges and Im going to try that also. Its just a meander pattern.
Im not good at making up patterns or meanering so going to try this instead.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Have a cup of tea, and relax for a while.Remember this is a new way to to something....don't be so hard on yourself.it will take practice, practice and more practice.....please post your work when you are ready...and congrts on your new toy...