Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged Over High Fabric Prices? >

Discouraged Over High Fabric Prices?

Discouraged Over High Fabric Prices?

Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 AM

After going through my fabric and organizing it, I'm only buying what I need. :shock: Unless, of course, I find something I just can't resist and its the right price! :lol: Really trying to use up some of the stash though.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 AM

I've got enough fabric to last me a lifetime, but if I need some special color(s) I order online; several favorite fabric shops online sell for much less, and I love their fabric; I've never been disappointed, and until it gets too outrageous that is where I'll get my fabric. I don't patronize our fabric shops with thier high priced fabric. I know we should, to keep them in business, but I say, they are driving some of their business away by being greedy about raising prices to the extreme; I doubt they'd have to go as high as they are to meet expenses, and still have some going into the kitty. Just my thoughts;

It relates to my having worked in the restaurant business too. I did the ordering; I saw the wholesale prices of food ordered in. The restaurants of today, charge prices that are astronomical, and if anyone cooks at home, you know it does not cost huge dollars to feed a family if you relate to what you'd pay for that dinner in a restaurant, taking into consideration, the cooking, help, lights, heat, etc.

Where is this going to end? We are being priced out of reach for it becoming anything near normal again in our lifetime. Maybe someday things will straighten out - but I doubt our generation as we are here on this board will see it happen.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:50 AM

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and if I bought all my fabric here I would pay around $16/meter regular price and $3 - $6 for a fat quarter. I'm a scrap quilter so buy just about all of my fabric on line (on sale) and mostly pay $4-$6 per yard, and with shipping costs, etc, I still come out way ahead......this allows me to have a large stash which I love working from.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 AM

i love scrappy quilts so find most of my fabric at thrift stores but never will i use all i have maybe someday my dear sis will inherit it
Old 05-15-2011, 05:30 AM

All your comments re: Civil War were very interesting. There is a CW museum near me. One day I must visit it. My Great Grandfather was active in that war. As for the price of fabric, I wait until Hobby Lobby has a 40% off sale. It usually lasts 4/5 days. If I need or want fabric, I go every day and buy 1 item (at least 5 yards) and get 5 yards of $6.99 per yard fabric for just over $4.00 a yard. Now, another item re: Fabric. Some one last week mentioned that Wal-Mart has fabric back in their store. That mention was about hanging fabric, 2 yards for $7.00. I went there yesterday to check it out. It wasn't even in the fabric department, but in the crafts department, folded and in a plastic bag. I did not open one, but seeing the texture reminded me of a texture half ways between good cotton and burlap. It was $10.00 for the 2 pieces. The only thing that was $7.00 were apron and doll kits and flannel kits, also low texture. So, back to the fabric department, I really wasn't shopping for fabric, but found a large table with fabric $2.00 a yard. Since I make crib quilts, I bought a nursery rhyme panel and one yard of a design that I thought would be good for my Pot Holder trade when next I post it. My thought is that Advertisements surely can be misleading.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:41 AM

Yikes, could that be true? Guess today's prices aren't so bad.
Kat
Old 05-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Love this post because I am a history nut!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Remember Scarlett making her dress from draperies in Gone with the Wind!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 AM

There isn't any reason to get discouraged over high fabric prices. They are a fact of life, and there are reasons for the price to be so high. Not like the oil industry!
Everything is going up in price, the only thing that isn't going up is wages.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Remember Carol Burnett as Scarlett?