Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Disgusted, down right mad - quilt and cat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
    We had dogs for years and even that was bad with all their hair mixed in with the thread snippets on the floor.
    I am glad my dogs don't shed. We had cats for years, but now just a cat outisde. I have to admit I don't miss the hair, but I do miss having cats.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Cats can do no wrong, as far as I am concerned. But I would be mad as h... if one peed on my stuff, so what can I say? You did a reasonable thing; now maybe you should have the cat lover in your circle take the cat to the vet for a check-up. One that has never been guilty of that kind of behavior might have a medical (and treatable problem). Best of luck; and don't worry about the quilt--we are the only ones who will ever know when you get done with it, and we won't tell.....Right, folks.....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Thanks for not telling! I MUST swear my husband to secrecy - this is for a friend's birthday and SHE MUST NOT KNOW. I trust ya'll, but my husband would think it a funny story.

HIS cat. My husband is retired and I am not, but I am a teacher and home for the summer. I think I'm messing with their routine.

The quilt is finished and looks none the worse for wear. I sliced in new batting in the two small places where it disintegrated. I felt a difference as I was quilting the border and binding it, but know that it will not be under such scrutiny when it goes home wih her next week.

Thanks so much for all the help. I now know what to do better next time, but ... there had BETTER not be a next time!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So many quilts, so little time.

It turned out sooo pretty after all you went thru with it!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Oh, how awful. I'm afraid I have no suggestions, just a fervent hope that you can save this.

OH! I see that you did save it. And a pretty quilt it is. What a blessing this board is, eh?
    Last edited by MaryAnnMc; 06-08-2012 at 03:36 AM.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

I am so sorry that happened to you. I can't tell you how much stuff I have had ruined by cats. My daughter is a cat lover. Just put it aside a couple of days and then see if you can't fix it some how. Bless you.

Been living with indoor cats for we will not discuss how long. I have had the experience of an otherwise entirely dependable cat getting into medical problems and urinating somewhere I would come across it. It was the way the cat told me about the difficulty and asked for help.

For your peace of mind and to make sure just what is really going on, please consider taking the cat to the vet.

Pat

Blog Entries
    I agree with w1613s. The cat is wanting you to notice something. With our girl cat, she objected to sharing a litter pan with her brother. We had to keep two litter pans so she wouldn't urinate where she shouldn't. That cat is telling you it needs help.
    Pet stores carry effective products that remove the cat urine smell. Many are around $10.
    Your quilt is colorful and will be loved!
    Last edited by coopah; 06-08-2012 at 04:02 AM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I wouldn't use fusible fleece, I'd use batting tape an batting.

Power Poster
    The pink and green quilt turned out nice.

If the cat is normally well-behaved - for a cat, anyway - try to forgive it.

Yikes! What a situation! I love cats, but NOT their pee on anything in the house. I wonder what that cat was reacting to when it smelled your quilt.
    I do like the idea of inserting the iron on batting in the area that has thinned out. I've actually had a situation where I had to do that, (not from a cat!), and it turned out just fine.
    I would make sure the door to your sewing was shut from now on...........can't let that happen again!

Great save! Beautiful quilt! Hopefully your husband will understand the need for silence!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Too late now, but I would have soaked up what I could with paper towels and let it dry, finished the quilt, then I would clean the spot.

the quilt is just beautiful! I love that pattern . .

thank you for sharing a picture of it!

Sorry to hear this!!! I have pieced Hobbs 80/20...........I do longarming and the batting got run over by my stool (castors) and I had a big hole in the batting ........right in the middle!!! I pieced the batting in -- kinda just laid it on and quilted (praying the whole time)...and you couldn't tell when I was done. I pulled on the cut edges to make them feather out so there wasn't a hard edge.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    Wow I don't think I want a cat. Thanks for sharing.
    Ladyredhawk

I am so sorry! I can only imagine what you thought when you made that precious discovery. My cat doesn't bother anything, but my dogs have a hearty party if they get into my craft room. They are a little afraid of the sewing machine and terrified of the serger, so they don't bother things around them so much. They sure do love to string out my nicely folded fabrics, though! Pets--gotta love them!

Beautiful quilt!! Sorry about the pee pee spot, I know you had to be furrious!! Oxy Clean and Vinegar did the job!? I really need to remember that! I have almost white carpeting throughout the house (not my choice, I rent!) and have one dog that has a pee problem from time to time....thanks for sharing and good luck on repairs.
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

I don't have any animals of my own but there are neighborhood cats. I had never thought of a screen door INSIDE the house. EXCELLENT idea.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    Your quilt turned out very pretty!

I used to have indoor cats. When my female would pee in places that were not the litter box it was because she had an infection and needed meds.
    Sadiemae

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am a cat lover and do not allow my cats in the sewing room. Too much danger of eating threads/needles, and let's not even talk about hair and other undignified issues. Sorry kitty was so mean. Good luck - sorry I have no ideas. Get some Nature's Miracle - it is one of the enzyme killers.

None of my cats have ever peed on a quilt but, they are not past throwing up on them. Only one of them has done that, I think he was mad because our oldest Granddaugther went to Italy for a month. She lives with us and babies him and holds him, the cat threw up on her new quilt.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    the cat may have been welcoming you! hard to believe but in most cases if a healthy cat urinates on a person or a person's belongings that smell like them, it is their way of letting you and everyone else, know that you are theirs. i had a rabbit that felt very strongly about me. enough said.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

It must be a male cat? I"ve had both a male and a female and vow I'll never have another male indoor cat. Females are just so polite! (Mine is anyway, LOL)

Blog Entries
    My DSIL has a Cat that did the same thing only in Her basket of clean cloths. I love cats but don't want any inside.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast