Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disney embrodery machine >

Disney embrodery machine

Disney embrodery machine

Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I can't acutally but a machine until we get our tax check which should be in June. I'll keep all of this in mind as I'm shopping around.
Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Izy

Wow - great tip tlrnhi, I will remember that when I GET round to starting on the embroidery!! :D
Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
This is good to know about the Brother Machines. I really love my Elna if only... So as we know a new machine is in my future, just what kind. How does it sew when it's the embroidery and sewing machine?

I was thinking about the coffee filter thing and I think the roll of stabilizer I bought from ThreadArt was cheaper. Only about $16 plus a couple of bucks for shipping. It's 10"x100 yards and it's nice and solid I'm not sure I could buy coffee filters that cheap. This way I always have some when I need it. And trust me I bought many yards of many brands before I found this stuff. http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.asp?catid=16
I don't use the coffee filters all the time. Just mainly in a pinch when it's late at night, nothing is open and I NEED to finish a project.

I tried the used dryer sheets, but they weren't as stable, in my opinion. Plus, if there is still "smell" in them, it stays in your project.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:15 PM

Yes that was my hang up on the dryer sheets too. It's hard enough for me to find ones that don't make my nose crazy, and that goes into an entire load of laundry, I can't imagine being right up on top of them trying to work. :?

I've thought about the freezer paper too, but that just doesn't seem stable/strong enough...
Old 04-22-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roben
Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
and on shirts, you'll need the water soluable on top. Right? I tried a shirt once and ended up ruining it.
Miranda, what happened with the shirt? I usually use a clear heat-away topper on mine, but if it's the least bit stretchy (like a t-shirt) I use an iron-on cutaway mesh. I've done them without the topper, but always with the mesh and they've come out great. Sometimes, it could be that the design is just too dense for the shirt material (or just too dense period.) Depends on where you get the design and how much of it there is.
LOL!!!!!! It was when I was first learning to use the machine. I used tear away stabilizer on the back, and that was all. I haven't tried a T-shirt project since. I would like to, but I haven't been at the machine much. I ended up with a hole in the shirt. This was also when I was having trouble with the thread "balling-up", so it might not have been all my fault. (we'll stick to that...not my fault!: :D LOL!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
ButtercreamCakeArtist~ I'm sorry to hear that you had a lemon. Do you have a Brother now or did you go with a different brand?
Yes, I still have the very same type, just a different one; a "refurbished" one. :roll: Yes, I like the machine "that" much. I really do like it. :D (even though it made me mad a lot).
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 PM

Great tip on Coffee filters!!! Thanks!!!
I have the Brother DS-8500 with the disney designs. I am not a disney fan, never have been so the built in designs were not a plus for me. However, when I bought my machine(my second) it was not the top of the line but not the bottom either. I also had a Viking that I used for sewing and quilting and this machine was bought primarily for embroidery.
I finally sold the Husk/Viking and use this one for everything. I love it. Some features I wish it had but it is a great machine. My grea local shop gave me the wrong bobbin size and I had disaterous results when trying machine emb. or sewing for the first time. Did they know...No! did they fix it?...No! and to top it off the machine bobbin was off kilter when I got it out of the box, which they did fix...after it just wouldn't sew...or anything else...no wonder they went out of biz...
However, I love the brother machines...waiting for prices to get to where I need them to get the latest and greatest. If I spend 6000k for a machine the DH would go balistic...
K
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 AM

Well I went to Walmart last night and they had this machine on clearance and only one left so I bought it. I had a lot of fun last night playing around with it. So far I LOVE IT!!! I'm going to try and make a quilt label today for my scrappy quilt. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for all of the great advice. I'm sure that I'm going to have a lot more questions now that I have it.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 PM

After hearing every one talk of this disney mach. I too went to wal mart,because I saw that it was on sale. Well guess what the one here in town was gone. Did you get yours here? My Janome is broke down,I called about trading it in on the next up, my gosh,I think I could have bought me house for what it cost.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:25 PM

I got mine at Walmart in Sedalia, MO. Like I said it was the last one that they had and it was only $250. I think that I got a great deal.