Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Display Baby Shower >

Display Baby Shower

Display Baby Shower

Old 03-07-2022, 08:42 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I forgot to add that the display shower I attended was a full luncheon. The bride spent quite a bit of time admiring the gifts on display and expressing her thanks. She just didn’t have to take time to open sometimes elaborately wrapped packages. Since I had flown in just for the weekend, I was grateful for not having to pay attention to that rather than visit with friends and family.JMHO
Old 03-07-2022, 09:30 AM

SueZQfrom MN

I agree with what you said! I was taught by my parents if I am given a gift then send a card of gratitude! It certainly seems that a lot of people today are so pressed for time. However twenty four hours is still twenty four hours no matter the decade. The idea of a "display shower" seems unkind to people wanting to bless the mom and dad to be. Again I was taught that people have to work for the money for the gift, money earned to wrap the gift and money to get to the baby shower. And SuZQ no apology needed that's what you have experienced as have I. I have to admit that I have never heard of a baby shower like this. Oh my. Just my thoughts.
Also the wrapping paper we got from gifts was used to line the drawers of the baby dresser. Written on the back of who gave whatever and it was pretty! The bows and ribbons were reused on other gifts.

Last edited by alaskasunshine; 03-07-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:45 AM

Not sure which side of the fence I'm on with this one! I have not heard of this type of shower. For the most part, I'm done with showers. The last 4 I have attended were certainly different than I had grown up accustomed to. Two were baby showers for my nieces, and I made them both quilts. Neither pulled them out of the bag, and I didn't receive a written thank you. Both stood up and thanked everyone for coming, and for all their great gifts. One was a "graduation shower" because she was going away to college, and needed dorm things. Again no thank you note, but I did run into her mom in late September and ask how things were going, and found out that she decided to not go away to college, and was working instead. The final shower was a Covid wedding zoom shower. Received a detailed warm hand written note for that one. Maybe times have changed, and I've gotten old!
Old 03-07-2022, 09:57 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by LynnG View Post
I bought a lovely basket to put my handmade quilt, matching embroidered pillow and a card into for a display shower. I folded and draped the quilt just so for a pleasing visual. We all strolled past the gift table at one time or another and enjoyed the MTB's company throughout the shower. IMHO, it was WAY more enjoyable than sitting there, MTB and guests, for hours.
I think I'll try & find a basket that is big enough for me to try & fan out the quilt. It is log cabin, so the placement of the blocks is what makes the quilt!!

To answer other questions - the invitation specifically said "so we'll have more time to visit" & this is the first I'd heard of this - don't think it is a Texas thing! She invited family & friends from both sides - including the guys - so maybe that had something to do with her plan.

Thanks for everyone's response
Old 03-08-2022, 04:55 AM

As our youngest just had a baby and shower, she liked receiving presents at home. That way she had time to unpackage, assemble, show her husband what it was for and how to use it. At her Zoom shower she scanned the baby's room to show the gifts and say something special about each gift giver. Now our niece is having an in person shower but still is getting most of the gifts in advance. The shower now will be like a party to show the support and love we all have for her, the baby and her husband. They both say that they feel a bit embarrassed with so many people watching them. And, since both as brides to be and mothers to be they registered for the gifts, there weren't as many surprises.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:07 AM

I should have done this at the last baby shower. Quilt was in a bag and new Mama peeled away the tissue, peeked in and never even took my quilt out. So disappointing after all the machine appliqué done on it.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
Maybe you could fold the quilt so that it is in a wedge shape going from the center to an outer edge that would show a slice of the whole design. Just safety pin the top together at the point and again along the bottom edge to keep the shape. That question answered, I'd like to add another personal comment, and I hope that no one will be offended by my honesty. My age might be showing, but I think that the future mother (or bride) has an obligation at a shower to take the time to personally open each gift and express her thanks and comments to the giver. With the money that people are expected to spend these days on a gift, just placing them on a table for the recipient to take home and look at later, is not time saving, it is rude and insulting to the invited guests. Since the object of the shower is the gifts, then that should be the focus of the party, and if there isn't time to unwrap them, then cut down or eliminate the other activities. I am sorry, but if the mommy-to-be doesn't have time to unwrap and acknowledge my gift and express her thanks, then I might not have time to make or buy a gift or come to the shower. If saving the environment by not using paper and bows is the reason, then ask that people use recyclable or reusable packaging, like Irishrose2 suggested, but don't skip that part of the shower.
Well, said, Suz! I agree completely. I've always thought that a present that wasn't wrapped, wasn't much of a present. When we were first married, my husband handed me a plain brown paper bag and said "Happy Birthday". I handed it back and said 'If its not wrapped, it's not a gift". He's never done that again lol
Old 03-08-2022, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I should have done this at the last baby shower. Quilt was in a bag and new Mama peeled away the tissue, peeked in and never even took my quilt out. So disappointing after all the machine appliqué done on it.
How disappointing! I would have been very upset and it would be the last handmade gift that bride received from me. Possibly the last gift.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Well, said, Suz! I agree completely. I've always thought that a present that wasn't wrapped, wasn't much of a present. When we were first married, my husband handed me a plain brown paper bag and said "Happy Birthday". I handed it back and said 'If its not wrapped, it's not a gift". He's never done that again lol

I find this thread interesting . If someone responded that way to me it would be the last gift they got from me. I give gifts because I want the recipient to have the item. It’s nice to get positive feedback and thanks but it’s not my reason for giving.

I have always hated showers. The new idea of displaying the gifts allowing the mom/bride to be mingle with the guests appeals to me.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:25 AM

I think Display Baby Showers are trending and becoming more popular. I think they are a lot like Terry in the ADK said. I would fold as others have said with the prettiest part on the outside and a ribbon to hold it together. Love the picture attached idea as well. I have never heard of anyone using a baby quilt gift as a table covering. Usually the "display" table is already set up and you just place your gift on the table when you arrive for the shower.