Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DIY long arm quilting at LQS >

DIY long arm quilting at LQS

DIY long arm quilting at LQS

Old 09-08-2012, 07:19 AM

Definitely give it a try. I'm a new quilter and decided in moment of madness to make my dear friend a quilt for Christmas (decided this at end of November). I booked a lesson on the LQS Gammill and took to it like a duck to water - helped by the fact there is a stitch regulator. When I went back to do my friend's quilt, the only problem I had was by the time I got to the bottom section a couple of hours later, I couldn't remember what I had done at the top (I had a go at loops, flowers and wavy lines on the borders, although the main part was stipple). A little knowledge can be dangerous, lol.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

The long arm quilter at our local quilt shop does the same thing. She charges $60 an hour after the free 2 hour practice session. I haven't wanted to do it, but I know there have been some women that have. The LAer stays in the room with you in case you have any problems. She is very helpful. I think she helps every step of the way, if you want her to.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:07 AM

Go for it!! Lol. I rent out my longarm machine after giving a two hour class which covers the basics. I stay around for as alittle or as much help as the quilter needs. Every quilter has then, after the class, quilted a quilt and been amazed at how simple and how much fun it is to meander their own quilts. Most are now regular customers and use pantos and stencils too. My class is $40 with all fabrics for the sample sandwich supplied and my hourly rate is $15. First hour is $25 though to cover the extra time for loading as i always help with that to ensure it is done as evenly as possible.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 AM

Hahaha! I too went to pq in east Northport and took the class. I've now rented the machine a few times and love it! Easy and staff friendly and helpful. Now I make the dash to finish a quilt to play in it more. Meander on a full took only about a bit more than 2 hours! Sewtime is doing a similar thing with the new pfaff la. Hmmm might just try it. I would recommend doing a quilt soon after the class so it's fresh. Have fun!
Old 09-09-2012, 04:56 AM

Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out. Our LQS does the same thing (except no free hours) and I've been thinking about trying it.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 AM

A couple ideas... If you find that you like long-arming after your class, but don't want to spend a lot of time loading the quilt, some shops around here let you buy an extra set of leaders. You can then pin your quilt at home and then attach the leader to the frame with velcro in a short amount of time. Also, you can practice at home with a dry erase board. You can practice meanders, swirls, feathers, etc. on the dry erase board. The trick is to use your arm to move your marker, not your wrist because that's what you do with the long-arm machine. It helps build your muscle memory in your arm for when you actually do use the machine. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I would love to do it. The price is decent. The class is only $35. I just hate the drive. I'm five minutes from JFK. Might really consider it. I was at the quilt show in Lancaster, and was able to play with a LA.. It was a lot of fun.. I'm wondring if it woud help to have a quilting buddy work with you. In other words. Rent the machine for four hours, and work with another quilter on both of your quilts. When one isn't working, they could read, or do something else, but when there is a problem, two heads are better than one.. I have no room for a LA, but would love one. I don't have anything to quilt, as I am involved in a major QAYG project.
Barri1-- are you saying to load two quilts on to the machine at once? You might consider that the quilts must be the same size or same length anyway. And both quilts would have to be quilted before being advanced on the roll bar.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:12 AM

I was reading this thread about LAQ and thinking of you and your service. I have planned to come see you when I have a quilt but since the beginning of May I have been confined due to knee surgery. Getting better now so sure
looking forward to touching /sewing fabric again. It's like going thru withdrawals for me.
If we ever get to just go for a ride ( 2 hrs.) maybe we could stop to see you .

Originally Posted by allie1448 View Post
Go for it!! Lol. I rent out my longarm machine after giving a two hour class which covers the basics. I stay around for as alittle or as much help as the quilter needs. Every quilter has then, after the class, quilted a quilt and been amazed at how simple and how much fun it is to meander their own quilts. Most are now regular customers and use pantos and stencils too. My class is $40 with all fabrics for the sample sandwich supplied and my hourly rate is $15. First hour is $25 though to cover the extra time for loading as i always help with that to ensure it is done as evenly as possible.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:28 AM

I think you've asked a fair question --- now my answer. How fast YOU are is not something anyone can answer. I have a friend that I let use my machine for a charity quilt. She discovered how tiring it is! Think exercise --- when you first start using it, you feel like you've been beaten up (at least, those of us that don't regularly exercise, it does! ). She also discovered how hard it is to control the machine. BUT, when I started, I didn't find it as hard as she did. It takes a while to get comfortable with it. Two hour class and a practice piece should get you where you enjoy the meandering, etc. Anything like feathers, crosshatching, etc, will take longer -- a lot longer. I say go for it and ENJOY. At least, then you'll know whether you'd like it or not!!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 AM

I would be so-o-o-o all over that! I have looked for a place here that rents time on a longarm, and no one does. I'd gladly pay the class fee and rental for the price your LQS is charging.