Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do buy quilt kits? >

Do buy quilt kits?

Do buy quilt kits?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM

As a fairly new quilter, kits really help me coordinate fabrics.

I just bought a bargello kit with 20 gorgeous fabrics in fall colors. I would not have been able to select the fabrics on my own. I also saw the completed kit, so I know I will love the quilt.

I think kits are great!

Elise
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by prairiequeen
I started to quilt back in the 90's,at that time I bought nothing but yardage.The last few years I have went more to kits.I like that I don't waste time or money looking for fabric ,buying more then I need,or buying to pieces because iam not sure which one I want,and iam ready to cut and sew right aways.And Lord knows I don't need more scraps.
I'm not generally a kit person (have been knitting for over 50 years and have bought fewer than five kits). But I am saving for one quilt kit because Jinny Beyer's Moonglow quilt has been haunting me for over ten years. I saw it years and years ago and thought I'd never be able to have it because I didn't quilt.

Well, I started quilting and now I'm saving my pennies!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 PM

No, never bought one..seems like they are always about 50% more than I can buy myself.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM

I bought a quilt, but I did not like the pattern, just the fabric. The quilt did not look much like the pattern, but it was very cute anyway.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Never bought one, never will. I like to pick my own fabrics and designs and do the cutting myself, so I don't buy pre-cuts either. That said, I have seen some very pretty quilt kits, and if the price were right...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 PM

I like kits.buy them often for all your reasons. also love when they are on sale
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM

[quote=MsEithne]
Originally Posted by prairiequeen
But I am saving for one quilt kit because Jinny Beyer's Moonglow quilt has been haunting me for over ten years.
I just looked up the Moonglow quilt. It's beautiful, but I can't imagine a pattern that is 86 pages long! Wow! Good luck!

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commerc...C710D36E84D4AE

Elise
Old 09-28-2011, 05:28 PM

I don't buy kits that are not on sale. As I've stated - I love to use them, but they have to be cheaper than I could do myself. I've had trouble with only one website which substituted fabrics to the point where the quilt did not resemble what I had ordered at all.

A friend and I have each bought the same kit from our LQS. Our quilts did not look the same because of the choices we made as we constructed the quilt. I don't think I've ever had a quilt that dictated which fabric went where - just coordinated fabrics that you used to follow the pattern - but in the way you chose.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM

When traveling, I love to buy kits! On a recent trip to the Oregon coast, I bought 3 kits, each put together by the local shop owner. Since each of these kits came from small LQS's in Oregon, I'll never see them here in Northern California AND when checking the price of fabric, sometimes buying a kit is the cheapest way to go. In my opinion, using a kit is no different that using a mass-produced pattern or following a pattern in a quilt magazine.

I've never purchased a mass-produced kit, but I do love those put together by quilt shops.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 AM

I can't stand making other people's ideas or accuracy of cutting.I have my own imagination to work with. Therefore, I never buy kits.