Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do "Real Quilters" Do This?

Congratulations! Welcome to our addiction!

Yes, real quilters do this.I am an amature, but I have 3 tops finished and am working on another. I plan to quilt them with my regular sewing machine all at the same time. So smile and keep doing what you love to do.

Yep, you're hooked, real quilter!

Blog Entries
    I am in the same boat with you! I sewed garments for 30 years and then took up quilting and I am definately hooked. Actually I am even more obsessed with quilting than I was with making clothing. My quilting stash far outgrew my garment fabric stash - had to purge the garment stash to make room for all the cotton! Such beautiful fabrics and so many patterns just waiting for us!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Good show you recognized the symptoms early. Now, relax and enjoy!

Yes, it's a requirement to be obsessed LOL!!!

gin
    welcome to our world - it's a very special place to be

Blog Entries
    Elaray, you better sit down and really give this some thought... I, too, sew garments.. For most of my life I made whatever we needed from wedding dresses to play clothes. I drafted patterns, and did home dec. I would have told you that I would never buy off the rack clothes.. Then that quilting bug bit me.. bad. It was quite a few years ago now and all I do is quilt. I love it. I often have more than one quilt going at a time.. I knew I have gone over the edge when I was given a lovely piece of fabric that would make a very nice blouse, and after getting out a pattern I didn't want to be bothered matching the fronts.. So I put it away "for another time." I just want to do what is relaxing and rewarding as well, I really just want to quilt.

So now, what are we going to do with all this sewing stuff??
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...AC3300A534.png Life is good when you're busy with babies.

Ooops! You've been bitten by the quilting bug. It is not a terrible thing. It will be expensive but you will have such fun and meet some great people. Enjoy!

I feel better knowing I'm in such good company.

And … I forgot to mention, I bought "Jelly Roll Quilts" by Pam and Nicky Lintott and read it cover to cover just like a novel.

This disease is known as QUILT POX and there is no cure so welcome from the great hawkeye state IOWA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mona Marie View Post
    Yes, And I have been quilting for years...wait untill you get a stash and still don't have the right fabric either.
    Isn't that the most frustrating thing in the world? !

Sounds like you have truely joined the group. Welcome.
    Jeanie

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    Absolutely!
    Resolve to be thyself, and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. Mathew Arnold 'Self-Dependence' 1822-1888

Being a "real quilter" to me means getting lost in the quilters section of any type of mshop, and always purchasing an extra 1/2 to 1 yard of fabric to let my stash evolve into a thing of it's own
    happy to have enough stash fabric at all time

No doubt about it: you are a quilter. However, it's a healthy addiction (?????)

LOL you poor thing..................
    Mary

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    It's just as good as eating chocolate! Soothing!
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

I think you are OUR twin....separated at birth...lol. Son started new job. I said...anyone one need a quilt?
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    I too have sewn for years, but just began quilting a few years ago. I donated all my sewing fabric not appropriate for quilting and have accumulated quite a stash. And....besides quilting, quilting I spend sooo much time reading about what all you other quilters are doing and saying. It keeps me excited about quilting and sometimes a little too jazzed up.

Blog Entries
    I'm not alone I see... I have ideas for the different family members and start collecting for each of their quilts... grandchildren now will be for their weddings.. others are just because something had sparked an idea for that particular person... I am always searching for ideas or material that will set me off with another quilt..

Quote Originally Posted by Elaray View Post
    For over 40 years, I'm sewn garments. Then, I took my first quilting class two years ago. I made a small sampler in the class and three full size quilts since then. I think I'm developing the heart of of quilter. I'm becoming as obsessed about quilting as I am about garment sewing. Here's the evidence:

• I recently took my two young nieces to Barnes & Noble. I went immediately to the needlework section and looked at more quilting books than sewing books. (Of course, I already have dozens of sewing books)
    • My nieces had to drag me away from the quilting magazines.
    • I spend too much time online at sites like Fat Quarter Shop and Keepsake Quilting looking at fabric.
    • I search online for independent fabric stores and quilting shops to visit whenever I'm in a new place.
    • I have more ideas than time (or skill) to carry them out.
    • I'm planning quilts for the nieces mentioned above, even though they probably will have to wait years to get them. I'm also wondering who else I can give a quilt to.

So, tell me, do real quilters do all these things?
    WOW I could have written this. I did make my first quilt about 25 yrs ago but made it through the shop that I bought and took all my sewing classes. It was the log cabin block and I made 5, all except one, were for king size beds. I am still using that first quilt on my bed. After doing those I put it up until 4 yrs ago when family life changed and I needed something to take up space in my mind and time. I consider myself a quilter and so are you!!
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

If you're like me, you also discovered that the sewing skills you already had are most helpful, but the degree of precision required in some aspects of quilting is greater than in things like kids costumes, for instance. I had gotten really lazy over the years and now am having to pay much closer attention to stitching perfectly (Ha!) straight seams.
    On the other hand, I'm not intimidated by bias seams, which I hear all the time about how difficult or scary they are (why?).
    Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    Yep, welcome to our addiction, the only thing i can mention is, have fun it could be worse
    Mary

Yeeeehhhaaaw! You are in the club!!!!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast