Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you actually USE your scraps?? >

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ellie
Strips mainly but many of the backs are bits and pieces sewn together into sort of a primitive crazy patch until large enough to cut into an 8 inch or so block. When I have enough blocks, I sew them together for the backing.
Anything goes. Solids, prints, plaids, stripes, holiday fabrics. I don't bother matching colors, just sew whatever fits the previous piece along one side.
The backs may not be beautiful but they are colorful and kids love to see what they can find. My own grandchildren have spent hours looking to see what familar item they can find.
Have also used them as scrappy sashing to go around machine embroidered red work kids designs to great effect.
Ellie
Great idea, I didn't think to use crumb blocks for the back! 8)
Old 10-31-2009, 10:46 AM

[quote=OrchidQuiltFish(OQF)
Rag rugs can also be made out of small strips. I made a lot when I was younger because one of my aunts was a seamstress.

Cut a piece of burlap to the size of rug that you want. Use a hook or in my case I used a large hairpin to pull the strip through the burlap. The strips can either be tied or put in a row and then sew down the middle of each row as you go. These rugs are very colorful and can be always put to good use around the house.

Did I say before that I love scraps??? :D :D :D [/quote]

Burlap! That's what people use! Thanks for that. Now I know ... Mahalo! 8)
Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by omak
If you take your five inch strip squares, and turn them back and forth, you will have sort of a basket weave.
I've done that before and made coasters with a denim back. 8)
Old 10-31-2009, 08:06 PM

I am always interested in patterns for scraps. My email address is cmeldrum
@neo.rr.com or snail mail address is Charlotte Meldrum, 200 Third St E, East Canton, OH 44730;

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 AM

The best pattern for scraps is so old that it is no longer in print but you can watch the video at QNNTV if you have that service. I recommend it even though it costs 24 dollars a year.
It is by Sewing with Nancy and is called Scrap Happy Quilts.
She uses strips cut at all sizes fron 1 inch up to 5 inchs (add 1/2 inch for seams) then cuts them so that they go togather many ways to make a 6 inch block then combines them into 12 inch blocks. It makes a striking quilt and so much fun to make. Example combine 3 inch with 2 and 1 to make 6 or 3 -2 inch to make 6. All these cuts are 1/2 inch larger for seams.
I tried to find the book online even used but no luck.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
The best pattern for scraps is so old that it is no longer in print but you can watch the video at QNNTV if you have that service. I recommend it even though it costs 24 dollars a year.
She uses strips cut at all sizes fron 1 inch up to 5 inchs (add 1/2 inch for seams) then cuts them so that they go togather many ways to make a 6 inch block then combines them into 12 inch blocks. It makes a striking quilt and so much fun to make. Example combine 3 inch with 2 and 1 to make 6 or 3 -2 inch to make 6. All these cuts are 1/2 inch larger for seams.
we use this pattern to make "soldier" quilts....they are so pretty and colorful
Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
Originally Posted by Rose Marie
we use this pattern to make "soldier" quilts....they are so pretty and colorful
Do you have a picture to post??? (hope, hope, hope!)
Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE scrappy quilts. I have always saved all my scraps and have made lots of scrappy quilts. I am currently working on a crumb quilt using 6 inch blocks so that uses lots of little pieces. I am also working on string blocks and pineapple blocks too.

I even use the trim offs to make/stuff a comfy pillow for my cat's bed.

lots of uses for scraps ... too many ideas to little time to sew
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM

Hi Betty

yes my squares are made up of 4 smaller squares......... I do this because I can use a lot more of my small pieces..... and I think it gives the finished blocks more movement.

That is just me and my thinking........... no set rule.
scrap quilter
Old 11-04-2009, 07:28 PM

I was always 'afraid' of using the scraps - I just knew the quilt would not look right - well, I started a bom project with five friends and now I am HOOKED. I love it!! The scraps that are big enough to use for squares, triangles, etc. I have in a garbage bag and in one drawer of the chest... then the little bitty 'true' scraps I have now started sewing as I go - more or less :) - and will cut 8" blocks as it gets large enough - I will eventually have enough blocks to make a quilt!! I know some people will say - WHY? - well, I paid for ALL the fabric so why not use it. It may take two years - hope not!! - to make one quilt but I will have a nice qulit for 'free'/