Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you actually USE your scraps?? >

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM

Nearly all of my quilts are scrap quilts.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:10 PM

Most of mine go to the mini quilters in our quilt guild. They like the smaller pieces. If they don't want the tiny tiny ones I give those to our grade school art teacher. Everything gets used somehow! :D
Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I use mine. I have been dwindeling down my stash to where that's about all I have now is scraps.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Ms Grace
This quilt is made from the scrap bin. So the answer is "Yes"
:shock: WOW! That's beautiful!! :D
What pattern did you use?
Thanks, it was a fun one. Sad thing though - the scrap bin was still full when it was done.

I can't recall what magazine that pattern was in but it is super easy:
Take two same-size rectangles (one dark one light) and sew them together with a mitered seam. For the first row, alternate dark and light. For the next row, alternate light and dark.
Thanks!! :D
Old 10-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

I haven't used mine yet. Maybe someday.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace
This quilt is made from the scrap bin. So the answer is "Yes"
:shock: WOW! That's beautiful!! :D
What pattern did you use?
Thanks, it was a fun one. Sad thing though - the scrap bin was still full when it was done.

I can't recall what magazine that pattern was in but it is super easy:
Take two same-size rectangles (one dark one light) and sew them together with a mitered seam. For the first row, alternate dark and light. For the next row, alternate light and dark.
Thanks, I can see what you did with the close up. My Monday students are always looking for scarppy quilts. I'll have to post the picture of the one we did with shared scraps.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:21 AM

I have always saved my larger scraps--over 6 inches or so but now I sometimes regret it. I just can't save all those smaller pieces or I would need another room.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 AM

http://quiltville.com/index.html

If you need any inspiration to scrap quilt at all, visit Bonnie Hunter's site. She was just at our guild meeting and her quilts are terrific! I just bought her book "scraps and shirtales" and am really looking forward to trying some of her designs.

Quote from her site:
"I'm sure we've all heard "Oh, it's just scraps." Have you ever stopped to realize that your scraps cost you just as much per yard as the original fabric purchased that they came from? Your scraps could be worth $9.00 or more a yard. Makes you think twice about tossing them out, doesn't it? Or relegating them to the lowly position of "just a scrap"? :c)

It used to be if I wanted to make a 'scrap quilt' I'd have to dig through all my scraps, big chunks, odd shapes, pieces of this or that all stuffed in a basket or box for 'some day'.....I'd have to iron them, sort them, cut them...even before I started sewing. I think I would lose interest before the quilt even got started! Are you the same way?

I thought first about calling this the "Scrap Saver's" system, but the point is...we want to USE our scraps, not hoard them! The purpose of this little explanation is to show you how I continually work my scraps so they are always at the ready for scrap piecing. I've been doing this for years now, and it WORKS for me. I have shared this with many quilters who ask how I get so much done. So this is my effort in explaining how I work with scraps, and make my scraps work for me.

Remember when you were little that wooden blocks came in different pre-cut sizes (or legos if you aren't that old!) and you could make things with them? Build a house, build a road....certain sizes just went together and FIT. I think of my scraps like building blocks...and that is what they do go for, building QUILT blocks!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 AM

I love scrap quilts. Trying to get my requested regular color controlled ones done for this year, so I can get back to scrappy quilts.

Check out Bonnie Hunter's website:

www.quiltville.com

She has over thirty quilt patterns for free for scrappy quilts.

I would love to be able to take a class from her.

Keep up the good work.

Anne in AZ
Old 10-29-2009, 07:32 AM

I SAVE all my scraps. I recently started putting together a sunflower sue quilt using the scraps because I have so many. But darn it, I went to the quilt shop to pick up some different threads to match the appliqueing, and some how :roll: some fat quarters jumped into my bag. Then I went to another store, and they were having a big sale, and MORE jumped in my bag. To make a long story short..........I now have MORE scraps than when I started! :mrgreen: My feelings on this are that if you try to get rid of the scraps, they'll multiply. I think it's called "survival of the scraps".....it's a natural instinct. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: