Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you apply Elmers for basting like THIS? >

Do you apply Elmers for basting like THIS?

Do you apply Elmers for basting like THIS?

Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain View Post
Unfortunately some of us with asthma have trouble with sprays, so the glue may be a better choice.
There are many, many reasons to avoid those sprays. The glue method is much safer for everyone AND the environment.

I applaud those who came up with the idea of the Elmer's Glue.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
I have arthritis and found this item to help me with glue basting. Works terrifically!!!

Here is a useful item. I am not affiliated with Lee Valley. My DH was ordering from their catalog so when I saw this I knew I could put it to good use in glue basting. This is very inexpensive and one of hte 3 different sizes of tips will work for you... I am sure.
Thanks for the link. Great looking bottles. I ordered a couple of things more like the tea candle powered LED lantern. Never seen anything like that and looks handy for power outages.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 AM

Hi Jan

I use A and I air dry --I
don't iron
Old 04-01-2013, 03:11 AM

thanks for posting this. I've just spent the last 3 days googling this method for a video so I could 'see' it. I couldn't find a one...just that of Sharon S. binding the "Angel" quilt with the glue basting.

I needed to know just how they were applying to a very large quilt. And several have already answered my questions. Thanks to all of you that have been more specific in the details for those of us who are wanting to do this but are still scratching our heads.

One thing that is still puzzling me is how those using the board method are ironing the quilt as they go. I can see how you'd do it with spray. But not sure whether the heat of an iron would go through all 3 layers as I'm unrolling the boards.

Tips on that would be much appreciated. I LOVE using the boards..so easy to get my queen/kings smooth and centered...but would LOVE to do an easier method of basting using them, other than the thread basting.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:37 AM

I really like those bottles. Will have to be buying me some.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Tashana, are you watering down the glue as some others have suggested, or using it right from the bottle? (I too have been trying to get a good mental picture of this method!)
I do not water the glue. I use it directly from the bottle. On smaller projects, such as appliqué, I use glue sticks.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 AM

I haven't got a tremendous amount of experience with the glue except for applique and bindings, but this is how I do it. For smaller pieces, I use your a method using a tip on my glue. For bindings, I also use a tip. For pieces that I really want to be perfect, with no chance of any glue getting where I don't want it, I turn the pieced article upside down, apply the glue to seam allowances and then put the batting on top of that and iron. Then I go back to your method A on the backing and apply the batting/pieced part to the backing. My best advice is to use a tip just about all the time that you use the glue. You don't need much glue to get it to work very well. So far, I have not thinned my glue, but I am going to try that on my next charity quilt.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 AM

Default another good reason for not using spray to baste.

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe View Post
There are many, many reasons to avoid those sprays. The glue method is much safer for everyone AND the environment.

I applaud those who came up with the idea of the Elmer's Glue.
Having sold sewing machines for many years, you need to remember that spray basting can and does get into you machine via the needle. I have had customers bring there machines for cleaning, and the service techs made a note to the owners to stop using the spray as it was gumming up there machines.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 AM

Has anyone used an artist's paint brush or foam brush to put the glue on? Also, where do you get the spray Elmer's? When I googled it, those I found were water resistant.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I would like to know the answer to that also. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t217470.html

I don't know if this thread will answer your question but I found it in tutorials and haven't had a chance to read it yet.