Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan? >

Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan?

Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 AM

I really try to buy with a plan, but alas, I am a true 'fabraholic' and I can barely fit into my sewing room anymore. I'm REALLY going to try to do better this year!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 AM

Over the years I have accummulated a healthy "stash". I don't impulse buy as much as I use to and I have turned to more speciality quilts rather than scrappy quilts. I find that by purchasing kits I cut out my tendency to overbuy fabric which made the quilt more expensive than it needed to be. Some quilt designers are way over the top however with their pattern costs and kits and I stay away from them. However, I find that I have way more fabric than my remaining years could use and I need to decide what to do with it, as I am the only quilter in our rather large family.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 AM

I usually have a 'to do' list of 3-5 quilt patterns I want to make. I check to see what I have in my stash, and what I need. Then when I see fabric on sale I know what I need for any of my 'to do' quilts.
I keep these stacks separate, along with the pattern, so I know when I have enough fabric for the quilt.
Solids and tone-on-tone fabrics are probably what I stock up on when it's on sale whether I need it or not.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 AM

I sometimes have a plan but a lot of times - no plan. Just love the fabric and will figure something out later.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 AM

I usually buy fabric with a pattern in mind but have been known to change patterns after buying the material.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 AM

I do both. I have a good stash and plenty of scraps to keep me busy for some time, but if I am in a store and a fabric speaks to my heart, I will buy a couple of yards because I know I will use it. This is especially true if it is on sale. I seldom by a $12 a yard fabric that speaks to me because my debit card is yelling much louder, "What are you thinking?". On the other hand if that $12 a yard fabric is the perfect piece for a work in progress, then I will measure twice and buy only what is needed and round the yardage up to the next quarter yard so I have some scraps for my scrap bags. (This doesn't happen often because I seldom go into shops that sell those high priced fabrics.)

Interesting question. I had not given much thought to my shopping "philosophy" until now.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 AM

That's the story of my life.....I just buy it if it speaks to me. I tell people that the new fabric is to keep the old fabric company.

Lynn
Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 AM

I usually buy with a plan in mind. I can't afford to buy randomly and don't have the space to store it. On a rare occasion, I will buy without a plan. If I see a great bargain at a garage sale however, I will buy it without a plan.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I buy without a plan, just general idea. I also buy at least 2 1/2 yards if it's something that will work for borders.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:10 AM

I buy what I think will look good when I get a plan. :-) I just love fabric and like to see it on my shelf.