Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan? >

Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan?

Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 AM

A bit of both. I always seem to find a pattern or a plan soon after buying unplanned fabrics. Other times I line up some frabrics from the stash and just buy a bit (ha-ha) to add - to the new projects as well as the stash.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
I hear that one! I like most of what a designer puts in a line and the only reason I would stay in that line is because I am horrible at matching, but they always seam to put in polka dots or stripes or that god awful large hideous print! I agree with putting all the colors in one spot, but I look at stores this way, everyone puts the same things in their kitchens, they just put them in different spots! LOL
You made me think about the large prints. I always wondered what on earth people used them for. Well My teacher at our quilt class for seniors makes quilts and she uses what ever and sometimes it is large prints. She will use them in different patters and my goodness does it look beautiful. I would never think to do that. But she says that when you are cutting it up into strips it doesn't matter how large the print is, you need to look at the colors. Just a thought for anyone else who like me walks away from those large prints. LOL.

I use to buy what ever I wanted when I was working and now that I am retired......I can't afford to do that. So I use my stash and I have to save up the money to buy the backing or batting.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 AM

I use to buy if I liked it. Now I am trying to use up my stash and only buy for whatever project I am working on if needed. It really is getting too expensive to just buy because I like it. If however I hit a really good sale like $1 a yard I buy for backs. :-) Whether I need one or not
Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 AM

both, but I am still building my stash. (as good of an excuse as any..giggle)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM

I actually do both! I buy fabric for a pattern. I buy fabric that I love. Since it is out only a short time if you love it buy it now! I also buy fabric for a UFO that needs just the right fabric. I also buy fabric for a furture pattern to design with it. That is the hardest way for me since then I have to design a pattern to fit the fabric. Thanks for a great question. Luann
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 AM

I am still buying if it's a good deal and if I think I will use it I too have a hefty stash so trying to cut back.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Sometimes I walk by a fabric and it calls my name. I have no clue what to make with it, but I don't care, I have to buy it. I got 2 of Sharon Yenter books and loved them. Walked by some fabric at Hobby Lobby and knew immediately I had to buy them for one of the Yenter quilts. Went to a LQS last week and saw a panel that I loved, bought it too. Found some fabric at Joann's and loved it, so did DH, bought it too. I know I can't make all what I want, but I sure do enjoy having it around. My goal this year is to make many many quilts and purses.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Does the sun ever shine on the equator? Of course I buy fabric just because...(fill in any excuse). Just can't pass up good colors, quality, and prices. :-D
Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I used to buy on impulse a lot more than I do now, trying to live on Social Security doesn't leave much for fabric. When I buy fabric now, it is for specific projects or if I see a fabric on sale that I absolutely have to have I buy a yard or two ad add it to my stash, which I have been using mostly for the last 2 years. When we moved and I tried to condense my stash I found fabric I had forgotten I had, now I keep my fabric in clear plastic totes, with labels hopefully, so I can see what I have at a glance.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Buying fabric without a plan is why my stash is horrendously large and doesn't really go together. Sigh. It will force me into imagination to use all this stuff. I love, love, love novelty fabric.