Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you consider it "cheating" >
  • Do you consider it "cheating"

• Do you consider it "cheating"

Old 02-27-2010, 12:54 PM

Hi I don't think it is cheating at all as I do digitize and do machine embroidery it is just a quick way to do things as i have AR bad in my hand and do machine quilting no way could i do hand sewing . i do do hand binding at times if my hands let me lol. i keep them moving. I hear my mom in the back round use them fingers LOL
    Old 02-27-2010, 12:59 PM

It depends on what you consider quilting to be. If you're a purist artist and have the skills and time to do the hand quilting, then that's part of your "art". If you love to make quilt tops and have someone else do the quilting, or like me, have arthritis in your hands and cannot do the quilting by hand, you make the quilt tops and have them quilted by your long armer. Then when someone admires a quilt you take credit for your part and give credit to the long armer who does that part. Unless you consider yourself a purist, quilting is a hobby and cannot be judged by anyone but you. How can you "cheat" when you're doing "hobby work" for your own personal enjoyment. That's what a hobby supposed to be....for your own pleasure.
    Old 02-27-2010, 01:09 PM

I don't consider computerized quilting cheating at all. I don't see any difference between following a board with a stylus or a computerized pattern; is the board/stylus much different than a paper patten or stencil and stitch regulator?

There is no such thing as a machine that will quilt all on its own; each top is different in the accuracy of piecing, straightness of borders, etc. and every bit of that requires skill and experience to deal with in order to have a quilt come off the frame looking as good as possible. There is a lot more to long arm quilting than pushing a machine around, just as there is a lot more to piecing than slapping a couple of pieces of fabric together.

Then there is economics; are we willing to pay appropriately for the artistry many long arm quilters provide? A lot of times, the answer to that is 'no' - I hear many complaints about the high cost of having a quilt done. All-over quilting is less expensive, yes; but I wouldn't want to stand there day after day doing it over and over. ;)
    Old 02-27-2010, 04:26 PM

Katiebear1, I have to ask: Do you consider it cheating if you load your dishwasher and let it clean your dishes?
    lol
    Old 02-27-2010, 04:58 PM

It takes time to design, cut, and sew your quilt so what is not homemade about that. I send my quilts out to be quilted because I dont have the space to put a machine and I dont consider none of it cheating
    Old 02-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Definitely not cheating, just getting finished so I can move on to the next project.
    Old 02-27-2010, 05:55 PM

Katiebear1...I think I understand what you meant to say. I too am in the infant stage of this wonderful world of quilting. We, as newbies, are still trying to learn the basics of making a quilt. We, as newbies, are still learning how to square our blocks, make our seams match, attempt to sandwich a quilt with minal lumps, do some form of quilting, and put on binding with good corners. Due to lack of experience, supplies, and probably money, we are attempting to do this as simple and basic as possible. There are many supplies, rulers, and wonderful machines that are not at our level of experience. They will come! As we learn and improve our skills we will feel that what we produce will warrant something better. You may excell in doing your quilts all by hand whereas some of us (me included) look forward to getting new toys. New toys cost money, and since this a hobby, will come later. I have admired ANY quilt..no matter how simple or intricate. Someone has taken the time to design the quilt. ALL quilts are beautiful and made with love. The only one cheated, is the one who can not see the beauty. (IMHO)
    Old 02-27-2010, 06:12 PM
    Zoe

There are those who think quilt panels are cheaters too. I've always thought that if a quilt panel introduced someone to quilting, it was okay. I agree with the poster who says "there are no police." It's the most creative feeling in the world to free oneself from what the "quiltzillas" think must be done. I read that when Faith Ringgold started quilting, the know-it-alls said to her that she really wasn't quilting. Her work sits in museums today and sells for thousands of dollars. :lol:
    Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM
    Banned

I still think it would be home made.
    Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM

You know, when I first started quiltin (by hand) the only machine quilting I saw was just a very simple side to side all over the same. I didn't like that. I have always hand quilted and until just lately hand pieced. But after seeing all the beautiful free motion quilts you girls and gents have done, I just drool over them. They are real works of art. at the same time, I would not want to be judged in the same group with them. Not that I have ever entered a quilt contest. If perfection were my goal, I would never get there. Of all the quilts I have made, I have yet to make one that was. But my family and friends love them, that's all that matters. I really don't want a long arm. Only because I would never understand the technology. I am technically challanged. I just love to hand quilt.