Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider a panel to be a "cheater quilt"?

Do you consider a panel to be a "cheater quilt"?

I always thought a cheater quilt was a piece of fabric printed to look like a pieced quilt as opposed to a panel that is obviously a printed design. Someone recently referred to one of my projects as a cheater quilt after I'd added intricate borders to a panel. I wasn't trying to pass it off as if I'd created the center. And this person Is are quilter. Do I need to rethink my thinking?
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-28-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I agree with you on what a cheater quilt is. I can't believe someone said that to you. Some people really shouldn't open their mouths!
    So no, I don't think you should rethink that. Some people really bug me!

No, I don't consider a quilt made from a panel as a cheater quilt. Some people (even some quilters) just haven't got a clue to what all goes into making a quilt of love. Ignore her comments & carry on with your passion of quilting.

Power Poster
    I refer to them as pre-printed panels not cheater panels. The quilt police strike again.

No I do not. When my daughter was a baby, she received a panel quilt as a gift and she loved that quilt for years. Probably still has it! Fabric is fabric and if someone is taking the time to make that fabric be a quilt - then it is a quilt!

No,not cheater. What gives why can't people just be positive
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I also would not consider a panel a cheater quilt.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I don't think a panel is any more a "cheater" quilt then any whole cloth quilt. (which means not at all)
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Power Poster
    I think the person that made the comment needs to do the rethinking.

You got it right. A panel is a panel. I have used them and they are cute.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I made a fairy quilt not long ago and used a panel in the center i think. she loved it! I take that back, no panel used. just checked the photo. still, panels are fine.
    Last edited by nativetexan; 06-28-2018 at 01:03 PM.

You are correct. The person making the comment is wrong.
    Jane

I have seen some lovely quilts that had panels included. You should be able to do whatever you like without someone making an unwelcome comment like that.

Ignore quilt police with their negative critiques. Enjoy the age-old advice: If you can't say something good, don't say anything at all. ..... Discount anybody who doesn't follow that advice and enjoy what you do. Panel quilts take a lot of work.

I wouldn't worry about it... you aren't quilting to please her. Some comments you have to just let roll off your back.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I always refer to these as "efficiency quilts/quilting".

Noone deliberately "cheats", but we all need to be more efficient occasionally and shouldn't be judged or belittled for that.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

You don't need to rethink your thinking, but you might want to rethink your friends!

When my grandmother was diagnosed with glaucoma many years ago, she took me to the fabric store and had me choose preprinted panels for a quilt to go on my bed. She knew she wasn't going to have enough time to both piece and quilt (she handquilted) a quilt for my sister and me. She passed away just over 10 years ago.

More than 30 years later, it is in my cedar chest because it finally became to loved that it was washing thin in places. It is one of my greatest treasures, and I say that even though I have a couple of "real" quilts that she pieced.

Hi emcee,

The definition of a quilt is wadding stitched between layers of fabric. Nowhere does it state that this fabric needs to be pieced or that it cannot be a panel. In fact, many traditional quilts are whole cloth quilts where the stitching is the star of the show. There is nowhere in the world where it states using a panel is a cheat or that a quilt made with a panel is a cheaters quilt or not a quilt. So, my opinion is, go get those panels, enhance then if you wish and Quilt On!!!!!

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

You should have replied "Oh I only care about the borders on a quilt not the middle. What part do you care about?" She'll think twice before giving her two cents on another quilt of yours. Never stay the victim of rude people.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I didn't think my friend meant it as an insult but it just got me to thinking maybe I was confused about the lingo. It doesn't matter to me if she's confused about the definition!

I suspect the term cheater quilt is viewed by you as pejorative. Why should it be? I have helped quilt several quilts for friends that were printed quilt patterns. The four friends I helped hand quilt their printed tops were not interested in piecing. The finished quilts were lovely and served their purposes. I don’t know if the person who referred to your panel as a cheater quilt meant it in a negative way. Perhaps it was the only way she knew to refer to fabric with a printed design that was meant to be used whole rather than cut and pieced. I guess how we interpret words matters. If she had asked if it was a printed panel, would you have been offended? Maybe you should have said, It is a printed panel, isn’t it a lovely design? It is probably time to retire the term cheater quilt or cheater fabric.

I love the quilt panels, wish I had more of them. Some fabrics just beg to be left as whole as possible. I'm not about to buy beautiful/cute fabrics and then cut them into tiny pieces, that is for blenders/solids and such.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Ahhhh! What would we do without panels? I love them, and have never ever considered them a 'cheat'...They can add beauty, interest and even personality to three layers of fabric! Great for quick baby quilts too....
    Life happens...and we react...

Blog Entries
    A panel quilt is just that: a quilt made with a panel. I've got a UFO that is a peacock panel, and lots of peacock fabric and a switch plate with the same peacock on it. The room is painted light blue. No I do not have it done.....yet. Trying to get the rest of it figured out.

I don’t take it as insulting to say cheater quilt. I learned to quilt using 2 sheets. It is just a style. I think it is important to not take offense when none was intended.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast