Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you consider thread a notion?? >

Do you consider thread a notion??

Do you consider thread a notion??

Old 07-31-2010, 02:12 PM

I was at JoAnn's last week when they had all those 40% off coupons going on and besides fabric (of course...LOL) I needed thread so I got the 2 spools I was looking for and was getting my fabric cut. I had my coupons and was getting them ready(I needed 5) to check out and the lady cutting my fabric said...you can't use that one for the thread (it was marked 40% off on any notion). I asked her why not and she said "thread isn't a notion". I was dumbfounded! Since when, I asked? She just shrugged and said, "Well, Joann's doesn't consider it a notion".

Am I crazy?? I can remember my mother telling me to go get her thread when we were at Penney's (remember when they sold thread??)at the notion's counter.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:28 PM

hhhmmm . . .I guess it depends on your definition of "notion". I've always taken it to mean durable sewing goods that don't get used up . . .ie. ruler, scissors, seam ripper, etc. Since thread get's used up, just like fabric, I don't know that it would fall under my definition of a notion :)
Old 07-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Here at the JoAnns...thread is a notion!!
Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM

I guess I would consider thread a separate category from "notions"-maybe because they usually advertise threads separately from notions. Also, it is usually in a different place of its own and not on the "notions" wall in most places I've seen.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 PM

Joann's in this area does not consider thread a notion. All of the notions are in the notions section. Thread is all by itself. Strange I agree
Old 07-31-2010, 02:50 PM

Thread is a notion at our Joann's!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:21 PM

Thread is not a notion at our Joann's. Thread is in a class all by itself. But there was a manager at the store one time that said I could use any coupon on anything as long as I told her why I considered it in that category. I used a coupon for cutting tools on a ruler because I told her I had to measure before I cut, and I'm sure she would have let one spool of thread slide with the notions coupon.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:54 PM

Sometimes seems like it would help if they would loosen up just some for the sake of customer service. Ours never seems to have extra coupons, never know what the overall out look is being expressed on the topics from the other side.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Your JoAnn's is wrong! I just did a SEARCH using NOTIONS on their own joann.com webite and thread is included. Their website should be correct.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 PM

It's not so much that the manager or staff won't let you use it, or that they need to "loosen up". A lot of times, the registers just won't take the coupon on that item.
I think it might depend on how that particular store has their registers set up. Each store does things a little different.