Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month) >

Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month)

Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month)

Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month)

A friend on this board and I love to do BOMs. We both belong to many of the same BOMs. Today I just joined another one that she posted a picture of her June block that I fell in love with. I was just curious how many people on the board liked to do BOMs also. And how many they belonged to.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 AM

I love BOMs. I really dislike making large quilts and quilting them---actually I hate that part LOL. If I could make blocks all day and share them with someone who just likes to quilt, we'd have a great partnership. BOMs give me the opportunity to try all different types of blocks without committing to a whole quilt. I've done the Farmers Wife Sampler, FWS Pony Quilt, and Quilts for Rosie as BOMs here on QB. Always on the look out for another one.

I actually finished those 3 quilts. I think joining others in a BOM makes me feel more accountable and makes me finish the project instead of tossing the blocks into the Box That Shall Never Be Opened.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I subscribe to several BOM kits during the year. I have a very big selection. I will mix and match many of them from different kits.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

How do they compare cost-wise to buying the fabric as yardage for a particular quilt - assuming that it would be available?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 AM
SSK

I am just starting my first from a LAS. I think I am going to really enjoy it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 AM

I have so many BOM's right now! I have a tendancy to join them get the patterns but not actually make them. I got one on saturday called "Bump in the Night" its all monsters and they are so CUTE! I have a jump drive of just quilt patterns... and I have a bunch of BOMS on there that I have downloaded. Some day I'll make them.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 AM

When I started quilting 3 years ago, I discovered BOMs and got hooked on them. Cost wise, they are more expensive; but there are lots of free BOMs around. For those, you use your own fabric. By making BOMs, I have learned so many new quilting skills. I've made BOMs with patterns that I would never have tried otherwise. This past year, I did a number of hand appliqué BOMs. Trying to do an entire quilt at once, with any of the patterns, for me, would have been overwhelming; but doing only one of the blocks each month was fun. Sure, with BOM, many people will have quilts like mine; but the chances of anyone near me having a quilt like mine are slim. I don't make my quilts to show to people. I just give them to family and friends who will enjoy using them. I am now making quilts that involve skills that I learned when making BOMs. Those quilts are unique; but I don't like them more than my BOM quilts.

To be honest, I love opening my mail and finding a BOM to complete. It is like Christmas every month! As for the free BOMs, I start looking on the last day of the month to see if they have posted the new block early. Something tells me that I'll always be a BOMer.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM

I'm not a huge fan of BOM's as I like to start and finish a top at one time and not have it lingering around for, well, months. That said, I am participating in our Guild's BOM, I have bought the monthly pattern to another but am waiting to get all 12 to start, and bought a retired BOM pattern that I'm doing all 12 at one time.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM

I love BOM's and have been doing them for years. I have finished dozens, and still have dozen's to do!!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM

I'm working on 2 BOMs this year. They are both to be completed by September. On one I worked ahead so am now putting the border on, then will layer and quilt. The other I've kept up with each month. It helps me keep on task - I go to the BOM class, get the pattern and make it right away. Then I'm free the rest of the month to work on any other project that interests me.