Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you or don't you?

Blog Entries

Do you or don't you?

When I start a new quilt, I only plan the main section. I let the quilt determine the borders, binding and backing. I get some strange looks from people when I show them my wip and they ask me about the borders. They will, quite often, give me suggestions on what I might use for borders which I may not have thought of. I like the idea of planning as I go along.

My question is - Do you plan the whole quilt (main, borders, binding, backing and batting) before you start or do you plan as you go along?

Blog Entries
    I do the same. The few times I bought border fabric I realized that it wouldn't work with my vision. So it became part of my stash and I ended up buying more fabric....like that's a bad thing? I guess you could say that I fly by the seat of my pants.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

I start with the design and wing it from there. My style. I decide as I go. Love working this way.

I will try to plan the whole quilt top and get the fabrics - the actual border fabric may not be known, but the fabrics that I'm using, I've already purchased. The backing, I may purchase later. It actually spreads the cost out over a period of time.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I agree with the plan as I go method.. I have never used a pattern.. and would probably have a hard time using one..

I guess I'm the opposite. Most of the time I buy the fabric for the borders and binding when I buy the main fabric. Once in a while I change my mind, but not very often.
    Heather

I also design as I go. I just sketched one out the other night and when I showed it to my husband he said "what are you going to put around it". Dunno. I'll cross that bridge when I see it.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Power Poster
    This question is too funny! You are assuming that my design will actually be the correct size for a pre-planned border treatment. No matter how carefully planned, cut and sewed my quilt top is, when I get to the borders it's always a little out. I love the intricate pieced borders that some people can manage but I usually go with straight borders.

Blog Entries
    I do both. Sometimes I use patterns and the good Lord knows there are some stunning new and old patterns out there begging to be sewn up. I also sometimes find a specific piece of fabric that just speaks to me and tells me what it wants to become. At times like that there is frequently no fabric produced yet that will go with the main fabric so I wait. I never sit down and draw out a pattern and then go in search of fabrics to make it. That's like dreaming of a yellow sweater you've never seen anywhere before. Ha!
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

A lot of times I start with the border fabric and design in. Right now I have a hydrangea fabric that is totally perfect to make a small bed topper for the guest bed but I have no fabric that is close to the right colors for the main part of the quilt. I have no idea what I'm going to do in the main part yet because I only have enough of the hydrangea fabric for the borders.

I did a pattern once that was the hardest quilt I ever did, Now I just draft what I see in my mind and wing it from there. The fabric tells me what it wants to be.
    I never know what my quilt will look like when its finished, when I start it. Love this method best.
    Last edited by valleyquiltermo; 04-29-2012 at 05:52 AM.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I am an "inside out" kinda of gal . First come the body then when its done I figure out the borders etc. Rarely do I do the opposite , and outside in process. When an "outside in" happens it because I found a fabric that screams "borders " and I then search for the insides of the quilt.
    When I first started to make anything other than scrap quilts I tried to pick all the fabrics including the borders ... 99 percent of the time , when it came time to work on the borders I had completely changed my mind .
    I love to let myself figure it out as I go ... its got more suspense!

I let the fabric and how it looks when I've put the top together to determine the rest!
    They do take on a life of their own and speak to me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    I start with the design and wing it from there. My style. I decide as I go. Love working this way.
    me too.......

I don't know how anyone can plan the borders until they are done. It's like trying to frame a picture before you see all the choice available for you.
    "Worry is about doing something you can do nothing about."

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    I let the fabric and how it looks when I've put the top together to determine the rest!
    They do take on a life of their own and speak to me.
    Same here..

Yes, that's the fun part, design as I go, never knowing what the quilt will look like til it's done.

I do exactly like you do. I have found that what I thought would work, doesn't. I am working on some purses for gifts but I really need to start the binding on my DG's quilt. My DH and I had decided that the black with white hearts was the best fabric. When I was sewing the purses yesterday, I found white binding fabric with a note that this was the binding for DG's quilt. I guess I thought that was best at the time, but now know it isn't.

Well, I usually do what you do, however, I started a Lone Star and now have decided to think about the border...........NONE of the fabric is available that I want for my "vision"........... Next time I buy WAY more than I think I need and have fun with the leftovers....
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

I do both.... sometimes I plan the border along with the main section..... other times, I do the main section and decide on the border later. One of the things I love about quilting is that you can do what you love and change your mind if you want. No two quilts are the same and we all get to enjoy the process in our own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    I do the same. The few times I bought border fabric I realized that it wouldn't work with my vision. So it became part of my stash and I ended up buying more fabric....like that's a bad thing? I guess you could say that I fly by the seat of my pants.
    Me too!!
    Mary

Yes, I am guilty of this!!!

It's ironic to see this topic as I had a bag of 5" & 4" squares. I first tried to make pinwheels out of the 5" but I can't get it lined up on some of the squares so I then just started sewing the 4" squares together into a 4 patch. It scares me in a way as I have only done 3 quilts and only 1 of them was from a pattern. But somehow the other 2 have turned out great! I guess I am a "winger"!!! It's awesome to read that others are just like me!
    Sue

I'm with Tartan. I have an idea and start making blocks but I always leave the ending open. That is - the blocks, pieced and sewn together look different than I imagined. I just remain flexible for the finish. That way I'm not beating myself up for coming up with such a stupid plan.

I always do it as I go.I have bought all the fabrics to match, but always change my mind several times and make many trips to the fabric store before I finish. When I start a quilt I never know how it will turn out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast