Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you or don't you?

Power Poster
    Yes -

Sometimes I do - sometimes I don't.

I prefer to shoot from the hip and hope it all works out by time I finish.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

Blog Entries
    I usually get everything at once and try to pre-plan the whole thing.
    Bonnie

I do only patterns so I don't ever plan a main section, am totally scared to venture into planning my own quilt, when I have enough money to get eq7 I will go there

I usually make the body of the quilt and then buy the borders, binding, and backing. I'm afraid I will change my mind if I buy it all at once.
    Sue

Power Poster
    It depends, sometimes it's all planned out in advance. But then again sometimes it just falls into place as you go along.

I have done exactly the same thing. I have gotten the main part together and then looked at the material for the border and went "nope, not gonna work" so now I wait until I am ready for the border, then fold the top up (or take pieces of the material from the quilt) and head out for the nearest quilt shop or go on line to find exactly what makes the quilt perfect.
    Busy in Ohio

I usually wing it as I go. I rarely pick out all the fabrics for a quilt at one time. The few times I have picked out all my fabrics, I get to the boarders and change it anyways.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

RDM
    Blog Entries
    Yes and No, if following pattern exactly as shown-then Yes. Otherwise if my own creation then No. I agree with you quilt top determines the border(s).

Most of the time I do like you, make the blocks and put the main part of the quilt together and then decide on the stopper, border, binding based on how the quilt looks. Too often if you pick a border first it doesn't go well after the quilt is done. The only time I pick a border ahead is when I find a print that I think would make a great border, then coordinate the other fabrics to match that border.

Blog Entries
    I usually use the "plan as you go" method. Takes the stress away.

I go both ways. I usually buy all the fabric at once. Occasionally, though, I don't like border & binding fabric when the main part is finished. Then I have to go shopping looking for something I like better--golly, darn.

Other times I wait for the quilt to tell me what the borders should be.

PLAN is a 4 letter word!

Something that's happened to me before is that I've made the inside of a quilt and then had a hard time finding the right border material for it. Now, although I don't always have the whole quilt planned, I usually do try to have the border fabric predetermined, and I try to incorporate some of it into my quilt so that it all goes nicely together.
    Bless, O Lord, the works of my hands....

P. C.

Blog Entries
    I don't buy my border fabric until the center is finished. I have found that once the quilt is finished the pre-purchased borders don't look as good as I thought they would. The color that I thought would be the prominent color no longer is. I am going out this morning to purchase borders for 2 quilts.

Planning a quilt: My stash comes out on my big table. As colors and patterns catch my eye, the quilt design evolves in my head. I never follow a set pattern from books, yet use them as guidelines for expanding ideas. As for fabric purchases, I buy what I like from sales in stores, clearance tables, yard sales and thrift stores, etc. There's no rhyme nor reason, yet it all eventually comes together. The best plan is not to have a plan!

Same here... quilt then borders when I get it done because I always change my mind. When I do plan it out like I did with one I am working on now I wish I hadn't... now I have a lot of extra work trying to get some thing I like out of it when if I had just waited I would have used fabric they don't have anymore and been done....

I do it the same as you. The main part of the quilt always *talks* to me for the borders and binding.

Suzy

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I will try to plan the whole quilt top and get the fabrics - the actual border fabric may not be known, but the fabrics that I'm using, I've already purchased. The backing, I may purchase later. It actually spreads the cost out over a period of time.
    this is how I manage things also

I do a little of both. Most of the time I buy the top and border fabric at the same time but if nothing strikes me as a good companion for the top I'll wait and buy it later. The binding is usually later too. It depends on what I'm making.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    I plan out a main design and let it happen as I go along. Have a general idea of what I definitely want in the quilt, and work around that. All too often I change a fabric or color, and have even changed the size. I do graph a complete quilt before I start. Sometimes what looks good on the graph paper, or even from EQ7, does not always pan out and gets changed. I never cut a complete quilt out before I start. It makes me ill (literally) to have smaller cuts of fabric stored away because I ended up not using it. I may need those larger pieces down the road. Just can't cut it until I am sure I will use it. So, quilt blocks can be up on the design wall for days before a border or binding is decided on.

I too like to plan as I go. Design can change as you stitch along.
    Love 4 stchen

Blog Entries
    I usually just plan as I go since I usually never ever buy all the material I need in one visit. Easier to spread the cost in to a couple of visits then one. Of course I have my sons quilt that I was planning to buys ll the material in one visit. But we shall see. Beth

The design process is different on every quilt I make. Sometimes I'll start with a pattern and add fabrics as I go, or sometimes I'll start with one fabric and add others, then decide on the pattern. And still other times I may start with a specific set of coordinating fabrics. I rarely know exactly what the borders will look like until I get to that point.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have never made my own creation. I always follow a pattern so I buy all the fabric at once, including the backing. I'm not there yet where I can make my own pattern. Maybe someday I can afford a computer program.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast