Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Do you or don't you?

Blog Entries
    Some quilts are planned from start to finish and other are just done as I go - and that is really more fun!
    Quilting in the Desert

I start however and wherever my "Muse" directs me. Sometimes I begin with a pattern and go in search of the right fabric, whether that be in my stash or in the store. I've learned it is more than "OK" to get just enough fabric to work on the center, and not even think about the borders. Chances are, if I pick up any additional fabric with the first buy, it will end up in my stash. I'm not thinking about batting, backing or binding either. Sometimes the pattern ends up with a completely different border, or sashing is removed or added, appliques appear, etc. Sometimes I'll play around with quilt blocks until I come up with a combination I like -- block and color combination -- and that turns into a quilt top, and then I think about borders, or not, and what am I going to do about the backing? What is so wonderful about the quilting process is that if you just let your creativity loose, you can come up with the most wondrous creations. Of course, not all of them turn out the way you want. I call those "practice pieces", and I know when they're not working, so I stop. It's like writing a story, and you realize it's not working, so you stop writing. But when the writing is working, it's awesome! So yes, I can follow an outline, and do technical writing, or I can let the creative Muse loose and write fiction. To me, quilting and writing are very much alike.
    MacThayer

I never plan a whole quilt I just let them take me along for the finish

I'm a seat of the pants type designer. I will often times put to paper the general gist of the quilt & wing it from there. Following patterns is not my style.

I allow the quilt to dictate what borders to add and what the backing should look like. Sometime it just sits there for a long time until I make up my mind.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Other than planning for the size of the border(s), I don't think about that too much till the end. Once the center is finished is the time to plan the border, so it fits more with the quilt. Sometimes a simple plain border, sometimes I piece the border, sometimes it prairie points, applique, whatever strikes me as 'right' when I look at the quilt. I've always done it this way, it works for me.

I usually buy for the main body part and then buy the borders later. Right now I am hunting for border for a black and white quilt. Can't seem to find just the right piece to give it the look I want. Guess I will keep looking.
    Lorraine

Blog Entries
    I have books of patterns -I copy patterns from library books and magazines and thru the years I have followed the instructions for 3 or 4. The truth is I fall in love with a color scheme first and then let them pick out the pattern -my brother says my quilts are like carving a piece of wood you don't know what is hiding inside and its always a beautiful surprise.This also explains some of my fabric purchases if it doesn't speak or yell at me then it is left at the store for it to call on some one else to take it home.

I usually have it all planned but it rarely finishes the way I intended....

I usually just plan the blocks and let them tell me what else needs to be done to them. It's funny how each quilt speaks to you in a different way.

I just about always make the body and then go from there. Actually I've only put borders on a few of the quilts I've made. I make mostly art quilts. I do use a skinny flange/or piping at the edge right next to the binding, many times. That idea is usually in my brain from the beginning.

Blog Entries
    i usually plan the main colors. and i have been trying to use as much as i can out of my stash. the sashings and or borders then get adding when the top is done. according to they way the quilt is "talking' to me. and usually i am always happy with the results.

Even if I am following a pattern, I let the quilt decide for me on what border to use. I've made mental changes all the way through the assembly of a quilt...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cybermom2 View Post
    When I start a new quilt, I only plan the main section. I let the quilt determine the borders, binding and backing. I get some strange looks from people when I show them my wip and they ask me about the borders. They will, quite often, give me suggestions on what I might use for borders which I may not have thought of. I like the idea of planning as I go along.

My question is - Do you plan the whole quilt (main, borders, binding, backing and batting) before you start or do you plan as you go along?
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

I plan everything as I go along. The quilts are supposed to be fun and make me happy, so I don't really stress over the borders until I get that far. Planning everything precisely from A to Z drives me crazy it takes all the fun and spontaneousness out of it.

I guess I am out in left field? I see a pattern then start collecting fabric some times for years than put it all together, then again I find a fabric a like and start collecting the rest of the fabrics and oops then have to find a pattern, or figure one out. I put my various collections in 2-1/2 gal. bags till ready to work on a project.

So far, every quilt I have made was planned ahead of time. Only the width of the borders may get changed. Someday I need to try and whip up something that I make up as I go.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

it depends if I am doing from a set pattern where I buy all the material or if I am using up scraps. If it is with scraps, I get the border fabric etc after it is done

I find a block or get an idea I like and fly by the seat of my pants and it usually turns out just fine, if not it's an opportunity for further design!

I'm going to say I do 50-50 when it comes to layouts. There are some that are drawn out and put in a project folder to be religously followed. Others like you said just sort of metamorphosis as the pieces are sew together. Changes to the project happens so often that I tell those for whom I am making a particular quilt that what they saw on paper has a 50-50 chance of being changed .
    Nothing beats a try but a failure.
    We all fall short of the mark.

Sometimes i plan a quilt from the border fabric, sometimes i buy all the fabric for the quilt at one time. A few times, the fabric i picked for the border doesnt do the quilt justice and i have to use something else. Sometimes i dont have enough of the border fabric, so i will put something in the corners or piece the border. I've learned to be flexible- sometimes a better idea comes along than what my poor uncreative mind comes up with.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

I do that too. Usually, I pick a focal fabric, and try to get a few others that go with it. Once I have my top ready, then I look for boarder and backing fabrics.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Many times I find a fabric I know I want to use as a border and plan the quilt for that. I do it different ways with each quilt, some I make the top first some I choose the border first. Several quilts I have chosen the quilting first. I don't see the point of making quilt choices in a certain order.
    Got fabric?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4