Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you double stitch your seams >

Do you double stitch your seams

Do you double stitch your seams

Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I never double sew OR backstitch, just use very small stitches and they hold well.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 AM

I'm pretty new to quilting. The only quilts I have made so far, except for Craftsy BOM, which I have only started, have been made in the Cotton Theory QAYG. I made a machine cover in patchwork with 1/4" seams. Some of the seams on that have come apart and I haven't even washed it yet. I have wondered if it wouldn't just be easier, and safer, to make 3/8" seams. Would that result in a lot more fabric, and therefore make the quilt a lot more expensive? Or just a little more?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 AM

Nope. I didn't know people do that. I do backtack beginning & end of seams which it seems some people don't do. I don't understand that since it keeps the seams from opening on the ends. . I know it's been said the seams are going to be crossed by other seams but I can't see having to close up the orig. seams again. I feel like
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM

All I do when I do it, is backstitch the end and beginning of long lines of stitching.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

I never double stitch my seams, I use a smaller stitch length on PP blocks, but just using a regular stitch seems to work fine and I haven't had seams come apart. That's just been my experience.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM

It takes to much time to stitch each seam twice, and whats the point- I have never had a seam come apart in all the years I've been quilting. And no I don't tack my seams either.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Never heard of double stitching before except to adjust a seam, but I always backstitch the beginning and end of every seam. I made a queen size Rail Fence quilt one year and did the assembly line sew and cut into segments. Oh, what a mess. By the time I went to sew the blocks together, every seam was becoming undone so I restitched EVERY one. What a chore. Also, my friends sister made her twin grandchildren quilts with quality material, short stitches, and because the twins were always tugging the quilts, the seams were always coming undone. In checking, the sister didn't backstitch any seams, just thought the sewing at the intersecting seams was all that was necessary. Those kinds of repairs, close to the seams , aren't fun to repair. My backstitching has never caused thickness and will continue to do so. I'd rather take the time to backstitch than to repair later. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. lol
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Double stitching would only lead to bulk in the seams.
I agree. When you double stitch, you never follow the first stitch exactly. So the scant 1/4" seam is no longer 1/4", so all your seams would be off.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM

if you use a good quailty thread , i use a 100%cotton in top and bobbin . if you are ironing the seams with a to hot of iron the polly blend thread, the polly will melt away and you only have a small strand holding the fabric together and the seam will pull apart. Ask Me How I know . I do use a 2.0 stitch lingth and back tack on all outer seams . try the polly thread and a hot iron and see what happens . DottieBug
Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Power Poster

Only time I double stitch is on some waggas (Aussie remnant quilts) where you may have lots of different fabrics and anything thats going to have a harder than normal life.