Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever have difficulty letting go of gifts you've made? >

Do you ever have difficulty letting go of gifts you've made?

Do you ever have difficulty letting go of gifts you've made?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

i always want to keep my creations... i have touched it so much, it seems to be part of me. but [sigh] i know it's got to go, so i grit my teeth and let it go.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

I would love to hear more about quilted shawls. That seems like a neat idea.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Only once. It was a raffle quilt. All the quilts I've made for gifts I was able to part with but I sure wish I would have been able to keep the raffle quilt!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:03 PM

sometimes. usually when i make a gift, it's with that person in mind and it's not really me. but, some, I just fall in love with. but, i've never kept (yet) something that is made for someone else.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 PM

YES! I made a pink/black/white crazy baby quilt . . . . can't give it away! I'm keeping it because it makes me "HAPPY"!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 PM

I think I am going to have this problem next Christmas. I have been working on a hand EPP GFG since the beginning of May-ish. The flowers have a black with white spirals centre with a pastel colour around it and then a darker jewel tone around the pastel in pink, yellow, blue and green with the same black as the pathway. I have posted progress photos of it if anyone remembers.

Anyway, I had hoped to have it done by this Christmas but that so isn't going to happen. Now I am hoping for next Christmas. I was originally planning to give it to my brother and SIL but I just love it. We'll see. They are big gardeners so the garden part seemed perfect but I love it so much myself and it is the first queen sized I have ever done. It will also be going to the long armer to be quilted, no way can I manage this sucker on my machine.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Glad to hear that someone feels like I do, lol sometimes I just can't part with my creations. I also have slowed down the giving with some family members because the lack of appreciation or at least perceived appreciation. There are a very few who truly value what I do, those get gifts for no reason at all.

But I have to admit sometimes I just love the fabric too much to see it go.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Nope! I so enjoy thinking of how happy the person will be to get the quilt that I can hardly wait to give it to them when it's finished. I work to make it as perfect as I am capable of, I only quilt what I think is nice or pretty, but I have never wanted to keep it for myself. In fact, I prefer to quilt FOR someone than for myself - in fact I have NEVER done anything for myself. Maybe I will when I get everything done for all those I want to quilt something for!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 AM

Default Gifts were well received :)

I've decided that it is much better to give gifts that I like so well I hardly want to part with it, since the other option would be giving gifts that I'm ashamed to claim I had a part in the making of them. Below is grandma's quilt that was to be a shawl. Once quilted, my sis-in-law and I couldn't bring ourselves to cut the notch out of it to turn it into a shawl. Grandma loved it just as it was. For the backing, we used faux vintage suede from fabric.com. I'm new to LA quilting, so I didn't know how the heavy polyester suede would work on the frame, but it worked out nice, giving the quilt a luxurious feel. The third picture is Auntie's purse, made with more suede and cotton, using either a McCall or Simplicity pattern. I think we'll be using that pattern again, since we all liked it. The only thing I'd change is to drop the tab closure and insert a zipper closure.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails p1050800.jpg   p1050798.jpg   p1050789.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Christine it sure sounds like you and your SIL have been having a blast! I'm always a mix of sad to see it go and happy to make room for more projects. It's not wrong to want to make sure something you put a lot of thought and care and work into is appreciated.

Your purple shawl quilt is so pretty...of course your Grandma Loved it! I'd never have been able to cut a notch into it either!

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 11-28-2011 at 10:00 AM.