Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you ever look at your clothes and think 'FABRIC', as in stash enhancing?

I've done it. And not just to my own clothes. I fairly regularly visit the Goodwill Thrift stores for fabric. Example, for Christmas most of the girls on my list got billfolds made from really scrumptious suede fabric. What they don't know is that I bought a dress and matching jacket at Goodwill.

It seems that my size keeps edging up, so instead of giving my silk blouses to goodwill, I use them to do crazy patch quilt squares.

I saved all my mom's shirts when she passed and I am now using them to make quillows for all her grandchildren.

that all i use to used were dresses and shirts to me it makes good quilts fer the winter

My daughter took all her father in laws shirts after he passed away and had me help her make a King size quilt for her mother in law. She gave it to her for christmas.

I am SO glad that I'm not the only one whose brain works like this! LOL I just cut up a dress to be used in a quilt someday. I haven't gone thrift store shopping for fabric YET... but it's on the agenda! I also have done a couple of jean blankies, and plan on doing more. I have gotten more jeans given to me, of course a lot of them I only get a couple of good swatches, but still, ask and you shall receive :)

I'm currently looking at my old Sag Harbor wool blazers that I can no longer wear because my girth has widened.

I think they would make a nice "manly" quilt.

Such a shame I can't wear these anymore, but after 4 years of not being able to...

All the time. I've been known to buy lots of dresses and skirts, when the thrift store is having a sale, before we moved, I went through them all and decided that I would donate them to the Humane Society, since I really have plenty of fabric, although I'm not against getting more, but dh says I'm on restriction for buying fabric.LOL

I just went to the thrift store today and came home with 20
    yd's of fabric in several colors and 10 nice blankets to use as batting and two nice table cloths to cut up and two cute scrub tops to cut up and all for thirty bucks and my daughters MIL. gave me a lawn bag full of Fabric yesterday, I just adore that sweet lady. So now I have a pretty good stash going and it hasn't cost me a arm and a leg either to do it, I'm a Happy Quilter today for sure. :D

Unique....that's what I like about foraging for fabric..and free or cheap is a sweetener. I too see patterns and shapes that inspire my quilting....my husband paints (when he can) and I really want to make a quilt inspired by his market scene he did a couple of years ago. And of course, the amazing Vincent (my favourite painting of his is my avatar)....definitely quiltworthy.

When we were moving I found a bunch of jeans that nobody in the house could fit into so I cut the leg panels and started a denim stash. I also found a pair of Tripp pants I bought from Hot Topic and salvaged the nice, shiny zippers on it. And on one occasion I looked at my Kittie band shirt and thought if I had a whole bunch of them I could make an awesome quilt...but I wasn't about to cut up the one I already had and put it in the stash. lol.

Yes, it's an excellent idea. Have you checked out www.quiltville.com? Bonnie is an avid believer in using clothing for quilt scraps, she even has tutorials on how to disassemble a shirt, etc. for quilts.
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

I always check the buttons on old clothing for something unique. I also buy clothing at local thrift store during their $___ a bag sale and pick up old clothing made from cuordory (different wales ?? spelling), velvets, unique embroidered or appliqued items, etc to use in crazy quilts. You can get some neat stuff for crazy quilts by doing this. And some of the folks have posted some real neat memory quilts on this site made from family's clothing such as ones who passed away or their kids clothing when they were growing up for off to college quilt, etc.

When I first started quilting (as a single mom) I would buy mens shirts at yard sales/thrift stores to build some "stash". You can get quite a few pieces from a long sleeve. I've always wanted to do a flannel quilt and will probably do it this way so I could get large variety. :)

YES!!!!!!!! i do that all the time :thumbup: seriously, i was putting together log cabin strips and my little brother says "that fabric looks very familiar" it's also a green way to add to the stash.

Often I see designs that I would like to see in fabric but do not want to do fabric painting. Recently I opened up a very old dictionary and the inside cover is very inspiring. I have considered scanning this into a file and then printing it out on fabric that I could incorporate into a crazy patch. Perhaps you could do this with your DH's painting.

I have never looked at my clothes, but always looking at other peoples clothes, thinking that would make a really nice quilt block.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have, like others, gotten men's shirts in thrift stores and yard sales.
    The fabric in them is a good quality, and some of the colors and patterns
    are very nice. I never seem to find that soft, washed-but-not-worn look in
    fabric stores. Plus, they sew like a dream, and I know they won't shrink
    at all in the wash.

Blog Entries
    I buy men's shirts from thrift stores for all my light colored fabric needs. It's good cotton and shirting fabric is very expensive to buy in yardage. Also the cotton poly blend is fine for quilts too. I find shirts that have 60% cotton or higher and no problem at all using it with 100% cotton fabrics. Thrift stores are fantastic places to shop for fabric.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2