Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy??

Blog Entries
    Every time I sew...but like the little train....I think I can, I think I can.

Blog Entries
    I hate it when I get hung up in some little bitty detail that goes awry. Something that I know is easy to do, but for some reason...it isn't on a given day...so yes, I know how you feel. :roll:

My first REAL quilt from a Christmas pattern (also an ASG project)
    had to be cut in squares, rectangles, triangles etc. It took me three months to make because I was a beginner and a perfectionist. (Notice I said WAS) When I finished it, I wondered why I had several squares left over but figured it was because I made some mistakes and had to make over some squares. WRONG!!!!! I left out two whole lines in the quilt. The funny part is I never knew it till a month ago I took it in for show and tell and another quilter pointed out my mistake. Oh well! I love it anyway.

Yes, its called LIFE! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy11442
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I wonder if I am the only who once in awhile struggles with something I shouldn't. I was fnishing a UFO top called Heart Patches. I have made it before with absolutely no problems. It went together like a dream.
    This top I wanted to just chuck in the trash(It is still tempting!). It has 18 hearts which each have 6 hst and a rectangle, and it has 34 4-patches and 34 squares. This shouldn't be any big deal, but I struggled with my points matching and my seams matching. The only thing I can come up with is that one of the fabrics stretched.

Have you ever had an experience like this? Can you tell about it? My sister says I am anal about matching seams, but it is extremely frustrating. When I can stand to look at it, I will take a picture and post.
    I too have a pattern that I'm struggling with. I've made this top multiple times...it's not difficult. It's a type of bargello but looks like a Trip Around the World. I started this one, got off track or something, misplace a strip or something, the whole thing was off. I started ripping after I found out what was wrong. Finally finished that ripping stuff, put it on design wall and there it hangs. I don't want to even touch the thing. I loved the fabric, love the pattern but am so disgusted with it and myself I can't stand to even touch it!! I know, I know, I'm nuts but that's how I feel. I need to finish it so keep looking at it and telling myself to "Just Do It" but so far......
    Now pack it away for six months and forget it. You'll be rested by then and six months smarter.

I agree it is better to finsih it incorrectly and move on to something else. Otherwise that creative juice will get stopped, and it is sad....just let it go as a learning experience.

I'm with you on this. Right now I have a blouse that is almost completed and somewhere in the construction the neck area has really stretched out of shape. Bias went nuts!! It needs be taken apart and recut. Right now it sits there until my one nerve calms down. Yes, I've had quilt blocks seams go awry that needed special attention. I let it set for a while then go back to it.

I am so glad I am not a perfectionist. when that happens quilting stops being fun and I wil have to quit. only God is perfect and I am not God. Has no one told you the Amish Quilts have a mistake on pupose in each of their quilts. quit sweating the small stuff and have fun

Betty

I think your quilt is really lovely and whoever receives it will be so happy with it. We are always hard on ourselves, which, is good to a point, as we strive to do our best. BUT, indeed, we do need to know when to let go and be able to be satisfied with "I've done my best."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    You know when you are making hst and you go to sew them together and you have that little bit of light where the dark should be, in the corner? A very famous quilter who swore us to silence, pulled out her supply of permanent pens, fine point, and touched up every corner and the quilt was perfection. You could not see what she had done. She said very few quilts that you see photographed have not had this trick used on them. I do it now and again but I like to get perfection on my own. It washes beautifully, never runs or disappears.
    I LOVE this!

Another suggestion - Bargellos don't have to be matched seam to seam - they can be offset mid rectangle. You still get the Bargello effect without tearing your hair out.

I have an excuse that I get to use for another 3 years - chemo brain. It IS a side effect of chemo - muddled thinking, lack of focus, forgetting. It comes and goes, and it can be maddening. I do a sudoku puzzle in the morning - and if I have trouble with it, I know I'd better not try to do anything having to do with quilting - or face the consequences - ripping out - ruining fabric - you name it, I've done it!

Blog Entries
    Just pretend any "mistake" is your original tweek and love it.
    Pretend it was suppose to be that way!

This being said by a perfectionist...but I am growing.
    I have learned it will be ok.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lance1quilts22
    I am so glad I am not a perfectionist. when that happens quilting stops being fun and I wil have to quit. only God is perfect and I am not God. Has no one told you the Amish Quilts have a mistake on pupose in each of their quilts. quit sweating the small stuff and have fun

Betty
    I have learned God is the only one that can make a perfect quilt.

I have one sitting on my guest bed. I decided to make two, hand stitched Christmas wall hanging. One for myself and one for my son. I hand pieced all the stockings, then picked the best ones to go into my sons wallhanging. I should have just hand quilted it too, because I'm having such a hard time with my machine stitching properly. I finished my sons, and am still working on mine, but I am one step away from throwing it away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dkm
    Every time I see the word "EASY" I cringe. I always make something hard out of it. I guess I overthink on how I could make it easier or think I can just do it. I'm a visual person and like to see the finish project up close and personal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    I have one sitting on my guest bed. I decided to make two, hand stitched Christmas wall hanging. One for myself and one for my son. I hand pieced all the stockings, then picked the best ones to go into my sons wallhanging. I should have just hand quilted it too, because I'm having such a hard time with my machine stitching properly. I finished my sons, and am still working on mine, but I am one step away from throwing it away.
    This is gorgeous! If you decide to throw it, you can donate to me!!! I would treasure it!

Blog Entries
    JoanneS,
    I love Bargellos. They are so much fun and are so gorgeous. I have never liked red very much, except at Christmas. So, being so smart(NOT) I decided that I would force myself to use red and make a smallo Bargello. Long story short, I fell in love with this red Bargello and just kept going. Then I ran out of fabric and could not find anywhere to get more. Not tall enough and too wide...So--I may be very sorry for this, but I decided to use different reds and I am designing my own twin size quilt with different sets of Bargellos. Might be nice, my be gross. We shall see...

I want to also wish you all the best in your recovery.

Blog Entries
    JoanneS,
    I want to also wish you all the best in your recovery.
    Thanks Sadiemae - I don't want this thread to focus on me - I'm 2+ years a survivor with all positive #s - only thik about it when I can't focus and realize chemo brain has struck again! I'd rather blame CB than think it could be my age, Because chemo brain DOES go away LOL

Blog Entries
    Sadiemae--You're being too hard on yourself! Even with you telling us that there's a mistake on the top, I couldn't find it. I love the colors you chose and I think it looks great!

Go easy, girl! This is supposed to be FUN!!! :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris
    Sadiemae--You're being too hard on yourself! Even with you telling us that there's a mistake on the top, I couldn't find it. I love the colors you chose and I think it looks great!

Go easy, girl! This is supposed to be FUN!!! :D :D :D
    Thanks so much! If you look at the 2nd row from the bottom on the left hand side, the 2 green squares go the wrong direction. I will fix it, I just don't know how I missed it. Sewing in the middle of the night might have something to do with it. LOL

Blog Entries
    Just last wk I cut the border for a lap size quilt & thought the ist one was kind of wavy ? Oh,well, when all were sewn on, it'd be fine......NOT
    Didn't have enough sense to rip it off & go from there, no...I had to rip off all 4 sides Grrrr.
    Then to find out, it was my fault.I hadn't found my centers....just sewed them on & trusted all would fit.Shame on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T
    I've put this Lonestar up multiple times! Been in and out of my UFO bin for almost 2 years now!
    Do a quick finish and send it anonymously to a charity!

I wonder if I am the only who once in awhile struggles with something I shouldn't. I was fnishing a UFO top called Heart Patches. I have made it before with absolutely no problems. It went together like a dream.
    This top I wanted to just chuck in the trash(It is still tempting!). It has 18 hearts which each have 6 hst and a rectangle, and it has 34 4-patches and 34 squares. This shouldn't be any big deal, but I struggled with my points matching and my seams matching. The only thing I can come up with is that one of the fabrics stretched.

Have you ever had an experience like this? Can you tell about it? My sister says I am anal about matching seams, but it is extremely frustrating. When I can stand to look at it, I will take a picture and post.
    I have just spent ages re - cutting some triangles because I misread a pattern, Then, when I had scrounged enough out of the scraps to make the correct size, I found that the next instruction was to cut it down to the correct size after the block was made. I have 125 little triangles that would have done in the first place, and a lot of wasted material. The person who wrote the pattern was trying to eliminate the stretch problem but I find it confusing and wasteful. I would suggest that you let the machine do the feeding and don't pull on the fabric. Try not to sew biases together - sew a bias against a straight side where possible and use a method that requires cutting after you have sewn. Otherwise, stay stitching might be the only solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T
    I have a Lonestar top that makes me want to scream everytime I look at it! After I piced the top I wasn't real happy with my color choices; then it took me FOREVER to find a fabric to 'square' it with! When I finally found something I thought might work, I cut the pieces, sewed the first one in and realized I had pick up the wrong piece! I'm going to have to rip it out AND I forgot to "mirror" 2 of the pieces when I cut then out.....I HOPE I HAVE ENOUGH FABRIC LEFT!! I'm just about ready to see if anyone wants to take this "white elephant" off my hands....ggrrrrr!
    What a fun idea! Maybe we should have a white elephant swap of our most hated UFOs. Someone out there might like them.

Power Poster
    Oh I feel your frustration. :-(

If you can figure out which blocks have stretched you could either trim them up to the proper square OR steam press them to get them to shrink up a bit. If you starch the dickens out of the blocks it makes them easier to put together! Sometimes I have put sashing on every block just to get those stupid blocks that just refuse fit to go together because if you have to trim up the sashing a little bit you usually don't notice it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast