Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy?? >

Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy??

Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy??

Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by vivian bailey
Years ago I owned a Bridal Shop and made a lot of gowns for different reasons. this woman came in and was 46 years old the first of 11 sisters to be married. The sisters were all older then her. They were all going to be Brides Maids. So they wanted long black dresses lines with long sleeves all made out of Black Chiffon. I was on the last 2 dresses both the same size. This was hard to see and exhausting especially at 2 in the morning.
I was tired and carefully made sure all the seams matched up and everything was perfect. I held up the dress to see it all made up and realized I had sown the 2 tops together. I was so tired I just stood there in disbelief. Went home and went to bed.
I so emphasize with all of you. I have a yours mine and ours family and raised 5 girls and ours was 2 boys. At christmas we were always short of money and fabric was cheep back then. I always made clother for my children with the same pattern just different material. I was always sewing at night when the babys were asleep. I made mistakes, but on christmas morning when the girls were screaming and jumping on me to thank me and running in thier rooms to try them on. I was no longer tired and frustrated by my mistakes only the joy my gifts gave to those who never see the mistakes.

Love your gift and see it as the receiver will. Gail
Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
The simple answer: Yes. Sometimes it can be something as simple as sashing and corner stones not fitting. Or a 9-patch develops a mind of its own. In general, I have the rule that - if the error is glaring (to me) then I will take it out twice and redo. If on the third time it is still off - it stays that way. Found out over time that the error usually disappears in the sum of the parts. We are sooooo close to the work that we see every missed point and every seam that isn't perfectly matched. We need to give ourselves a little leeway.
i painted the floorcloth in my dining room i spent 3-4 hours for 3 nights in row sitting crosslegged on the floor with a tiny little detail brush to make sure the lines were all exact.

after i finished it, varnished & waxed it, my grandson found a small flower center i missed... (because he was sitting under the table dusting the stretcher bars for me ....

no one else has noticed... i gave up on perfection after that!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Before I start cutting I make up a batch of starch using cornflour and water put in a spray bottle. Spray on fabric<WRONG SIDE> and sometimes I use iron on interfacing that way the fabric is pretty stiff and does not streach when cut on the cross.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:19 PM

every top pr thing i touch i feel that way
i get bored and TIRED
i should quit sooner
I should rest sooner
i am scared and shaking by the time I sit down to sew
this is not relaxing for me at all
this is hard for me cause I try to be a perfectionist and I
am NOT perfect-no one is-no matter who we crttisize each
as if we were. we see where the error or non error is.
i take this as a job to make charity quilts, therefore I
think I try to hard. a quilt is a job, it should be fun.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Sometimes you just have to give up on the original plan, rip out and rethink the project!

My 2-1/2 y/o UFO is now a completed top...all 8" sqaures in somewhat random colors, not a log cabin with 8" centers and 2" strips. Did I mention that it is several different weights and wale widths of corduroy???

Now to sandwich and tie...after I decide how to piece the backing, which she wants to also be corduroy. Have several ideas floating around in my head, not sure which will end up being used.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM

I had a time today. I'm making a bridal gown for my DGDs 18" doll. The satin I'm using is unraveling every time I look at it so I tried to be very deliberate in my pinning and sewing. I made the bodice and went to press it and found one of the shoulder straps in the front was backwards. I had to rip out and turn the fool thing around and pinch it to hold it in place to resew it. AAAAAAARrRRRG!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:51 AM

Sewing Barbie doll clothes is right up there with sewing slip covers...never again. Told Grdau when she has a family, this Grma is out of business :-) :-)

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
I had a time today. I'm making a bridal gown for my DGDs 18" doll. The satin I'm using is unraveling every time I look at it so I tried to be very deliberate in my pinning and sewing. I made the bodice and went to press it and found one of the shoulder straps in the front was backwards. I had to rip out and turn the fool thing around and pinch it to hold it in place to resew it. AAAAAAARrRRRG!
:( :( :( :( :-D
Old 09-28-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
Whoever it was that says they learned to sew by making doll clothes wasn't me! They're the hardest things in the world to sew! Give me toddler's patterns any day - nor real waist or hips - and they don't usually care about perfection!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Bev

[quote/] I wonder if I am the only who once in awhile struggles with something I shouldn't[quote/]

I understand perfectly!!!
I'm hurrying to get an "Olivia" quilt done for my little g'daughter's birthday. And I'm using a big picture panel of Olivia to speed things along, right? Nope, not me! I can never speed things along. This bunch of fabric, with Olivia's name printed on just about every bit of it except the picture, is all going haywire! All of the lines of words go up and down, but never straight. Honestly they've been CUT straight, but they don't turn out straight! I've fooled around with it for so long that I just know it won't be made in time. It's to the point where I just hate Olivia and all things related to that darn little pig! 8-)
Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
[quote/] I wonder if I am the only who once in awhile struggles with something I shouldn't[quote/]

I understand perfectly!!!
I'm hurrying to get an "Olivia" quilt done for my little g'daughter's birthday. And I'm using a big picture panel of Olivia to speed things along, right? Nope, not me! I can never speed things along. This bunch of fabric, with Olivia's name printed on just about every bit of it except the picture, is all going haywire! All of the lines of words go up and down, but never straight. Honestly they've been CUT straight, but they don't turn out straight! I've fooled around with it for so long that I just know it won't be made in time. It's to the point where I just hate Olivia and all things related to that darn little pig! 8-)
I know the feeling. Have a "reversible" quilt I started five years ago. I, too, tried to hurry things along and "skip" the hand sewing and just do all machine. WRONG!! The stitching got off, it shows on both sides, it looks hideous and it has set in my closet for five years waiting for me to decide to either throw it away or rip out all the stitching between the rows and do it right. I hate to rip, so I just keep shoving it to the back and doing other things. This was supposed to be "quick". NOT!! From this thread, I would say you have a world of company.