Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy?? >

Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy??

Do you ever struggle with something that should just be easy??

Old 09-30-2010, 02:04 AM

Why don't you recheck the size of your squares and see if you can fix the problem before you do any more sewing. Maybe as you said some fabric has stretched by trimming it to size might fix the problem.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:46 PM

umm yea my life lol!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:35 PM

[quote=JoanneS]
Originally Posted by bjnicholson
I had a time today. I'm making a bridal gown for my DGDs 18" doll.
Whoever it was that says they learned to sew by making doll clothes wasn't me! They're the hardest things in the world to sew! Give me toddler's patterns any day - nor real waist or hips - and they don't usually care about perfection!
It takes just as long to make a dolls dress as it does for a grown human/ only difference is that there are more stitches. I made dolls clothes on an assembly line with my daughters and their friend after school and holidays to make a little money for Christmas gifts.
I an having problems trying to decide how to finish the baby boys quilt. It starts with tractors in the middle with blue sashing around it then a row of square in a square blocks all round and then it STOPS. I can't figure what to put next. I want to make it about 45inch square. the Boy is nearly 2 yrs now.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Bev

[quote=Annya][quote=JoanneS]
Whoever it was that says they learned to sew by making doll clothes wasn't me! They're the hardest things in the world to sew! Give me toddler's patterns any day - nor real waist or hips - and they don't usually care about perfection!
[quote/]It takes just as long to make a dolls dress as it does for a grown human/ only difference is that there are more stitches. I made dolls clothes on an assembly line with my daughters and their friend after school and holidays to make a little money for Christmas gifts.quote/]

I'm in the middle of making a very small wardrobe for my DGD's American Girl doll, Molly. Gosh knows Molly was expensive enough, but the clothes and other stuff cost a fortune! Which no one in our family would/could spend on a doll! So I got a couple of patterns and thought, how hard could this be? I sew all the time.
Wrong again! This has been tough!! And getting the clothes on the doll isn't easy either! The clothes, even for an 18" doll are so tiny, and the sleeves are so difficult to manage. But I'm half way through, and Molly is going to get some lovely (?) clothes for Christmas. Boy! the things we do for our grandkids!!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 AM

[quote=Annya]
Originally Posted by JoanneS
It takes just as long to make a dolls dress as it does for a grown human/ only difference is that there are more stitches. I made dolls clothes on an assembly line with my daughters and their friend after school and holidays to make a little money for Christmas gifts.
I an having problems trying to decide how to finish the baby boys quilt. It starts with tractors in the middle with blue sashing around it then a row of square in a square blocks all round and then it STOPS. I can't figure what to put next. I want to make it about 45inch square. the Boy is nearly 2 yrs now.
I know what you mean I started a quilt that I have made before called sleeping bears for my neighbors D was having a baby started 3mo before he was born finished when he was 6mo old fought it all the way.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 AM

I just brought up a subject similar to yours a few days ago. It was about being too hard on myself. I stopped working on the quilt for a few days, looking at all the replies and then going back to look at the quilt.
I then decided, from all the encouragement I received that I was not going to tear out the tiny mistakes. I will go on and try to do better the next time. Sure enough the next row, was much, better and I only saw a tiny mistake where the corner was not exact, but, after tying the quilt. No one will notice, and the quilt is given in love. I used to want to be perfect in everything I did, but, it can stress you more, then just letting the small things go.
The quilt is beautiful by the way.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Whoever it was that says they learned to sew by making doll clothes wasn't me! They're the hardest things in the world to sew!
The trick for doing sleeves is to sew the top of the sleeve first then sew up the waist and down the sleeve to the wrist. if you want to put anything on sleeve bands etc do it before you sew it up. It is easier that way. It is a pity I live so far away or I could show you ALL the short cuts which makes sewing dolls clothes more manageable.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:11 AM

:oops: :oops: :oops:
All the time......There is always something that just won't let my projects to be perfect.... .....
Old 10-10-2010, 07:11 AM

:oops: :oops: :oops:
All the time......There is always something that just won't let my projects to be perfect.... .....
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM

I saw the tute for the 3 seam block: Thinking of making quilt with this cool block.nothing could be easier, right? Right. 1st time, I got the center piece sewn into the wrong seam. Then got it behind instead of between. then realized it was upside down. Finally after 4 trys, got it right. A little wonky, the center block is not very square, but now I have the idea. Okay, I made in a size that will work well for a pot holder. easy peasy, right? right. First I sewed the sandwich together so the batting was on the outside. then I sewed it so the backing was wrong side out. Finally, I basted, triple checked, and finally got it right. What should have been a 30 minute project ended up taking all afternoon. grrrr.