Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever wind up not liking a quilt you've made? >

Do you ever wind up not liking a quilt you've made?

Do you ever wind up not liking a quilt you've made?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 AM

I did one- I called it my ugly quilt. But I WAS going to finish it- back in the day when I refused to have UFOs. It was laid on the bed in the guest room. DIL saw it- asked who's it was, she loved it- I said its yours. And so it had a home.

She loves it and it looks so much better at her house than mine.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Find an organization near you that you love. Set it up with them to have a raffle at an event in the near future. There has to be some people that will like the quilt and take a chance on it. Even if they don't want it for themselves, they might have a relative or good friend that they would want it for. They get it for the price of a ticket, your organization makes a good bit of money and you get to feel good about that quilt AND yourself!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 PM

There is a site online where you can donate to an UFO quilt orphanage. I believe folks finish your project any way they like and then donate it to charity. Check it out:

http://ufo-rphanage.com/index.html
Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 AM

Yes, I have had that happen a couple of times. The best way I have found to counteract that is to "put it away" for awhile when you feel you are "sick of it."
I have about 3 quilts going at one time, so that there is always something different to work on. It works for me!
Marta
Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 AM

I'm working on one right now that I DO NOT LIKE. But......I'll finish it anyway - the fabric is all cut!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Dkm

Yes, made several of those, but I am a person that believes in finishing what I started. Then wait for someone to come along and say " I love that" and guess what it goes home with them. If this doesn't happen then a charity quilt it becomes. All quilts need love and someone will if only to be warm.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 AM

I signed up for a stack and whack class. The instructor happened to be in the store at the time and told me to pick a focus fabric I didn't like because the kaleidoscope effect would totally change the fabric. Well, I have to disagree. I didn't like the fabric when I bought it and I still didn't like it in the quilt. If I'd read the book that goes with the class, the author recommends buying fabric you love. Anyway, it's the living room quilt now and if something gets spilled on it, it won't hurt so bad. But I've had a lot of people tell me they love it.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 AM

I forget which renowned quilter mentioned this "fact", but basically:
If you cut up the fabric you don't like, and you STILL do not like it, you just haven't cut it up small enough!

It is pretty interesting to see what happens to a bunch of scantily clad hawaiin beauties when they are reduced to two inch blocks ;) <wave>
Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by omak
I forget which renowned quilter mentioned this "fact", but basically:
If you cut up the fabric you don't like, and you STILL do not like it, you just haven't cut it up small enough!

It is pretty interesting to see what happens to a bunch of scantily clad hawaiin beauties when they are reduced to two inch blocks ;) <wave>
:lol: :lol:
Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Oh MY!

I made a sample quilt to advertise a class at our LQS and hated the thing. It was "theoretically" a very good color design.

No, not one student signed up for the class either! :P