Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you find yourself attracted to a specific style? >

Do you find yourself attracted to a specific style?

Do you find yourself attracted to a specific style?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by omak
A couple of months ago, I gave myself permission to actually sew the same thing over and over until I was at the end of every piece of fabric in that box ... just cut five inches off one piece of fabric ...
1064 flying geese later, I was a very happy COD person ... what am I going to do with them? It started because I wanted some scrappy flying geese for a project ... I didn't want to spend time trying to figure out how many I needed, so I just cut and stitched. Still haven't gotten to the original project, but did use the flying geese in a project I didn't even know was going to show up ... I know they will find a home, so I am not too worried.
What a great way to take control of your scraps! I love this idea, and I may copy it. I have 6 drawers of an old dresser full of scraps to keep them 'out of sight, out of mind.' There are so many ways to use flying geese! And you can make a whole quilt of scrappy geese.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:41 PM

I like it all !! That is the problem!! There isn't a color I don't like, and I don't think there is a style I don't like, the contemporary art quilt kind of intimidate me, but someday.... The one thing I tend to always do is change the pattern, I have to tweek it a bit to make it "mine". That can really slow down the process too. Someday I want to stick to the pattern just to see how fast I might get it done!! I also tend to use LOTS of different fabrics, very scrappy, even if it is a 2 color quilt, I will use 10 or 15 of each of the colors...THAT really slows down the process, cutting all those fabrics..ugh!!! I also don't do the assembly line type of sewing very well...I can't wait to see the block done. Doing 200 hst before I get to see something fun...not for me!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS

What a great way to take control of your scraps!
One would think so! LOL
We all have our little dreams, don't we? LOL
Old 05-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

scrappy anything for me and mostly traditional patterns. 4-patch, 9-patch, Jacob's Ladder (and variations)...

.....and then a new magazine comes in with a [fill in the pattern] and I think that I just HAVE to MAKE that.

I do know what I don't like to make and as long as I stick to that plan, all is well.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 AM

My first quilt was New York Beauty by Karen Stone. I have made several of her paper pieced quilts, and now am working on Raindrops by Judy Niemeyer.
After six of these quilts, I now have curved piecing down pat. Finally! Not much ripping out on this one.
I would have to say I prefer modern quilts with jewel or bright colors. I really like working with the tighter weave of batiks.
My goal is to learn applique, make an art quilt, and take the time to figure out how to take pictures of my quilts and get them online for "show and tell"!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 AM

I love all quilts!! :D My favorites though are the traditional and scrappy ones!! They just seem more homey to me.
I love the challenge of making a new block, but then am glad to keep making the same one while doing the quilt, as I know what I'm doing then! lol!!!
:-)
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 AM

I love Crazy quilts. Love the different types of fabric and then to embellish and embroider... I have done by hand and by machine.
My favorite color must be shades of blue because my stash is 70% blues.
Just finished a wedding Crazy quilt and will be posting today.
Quilting of any kind is piece ( peace) of mind.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 AM

My love is sewing and handquilting Amish-type (inspired) quilts. I love large blocks of fabric just waiting for swirls, fans, spider webs, grids...

Second is traditional quilts with a scrappy feel. I love batiks, but find they don't work real well in traditional quilts.

Third is the sampler type quilts. I don't much like having to follow directions exactly...

and I love working in black/white and red. I love the play between black and white, and then throw a red heart appliqued to it. It makes the heart pop right out at you. Nancy's Quilt Shop in Las Vegas is the best place I know to get black and white quilts.

Anita
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 AM

I really haven't decided what I like best. I do like trying different ones to find what I like. I have notice from the gals in my quilt guild you can pick out whose quilt it is by colors, it seem we tend to for the same colors most of the time.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:58 AM

Good question, Ethel. Caused me to think. <ouch>

In the past 20 years, I have completed perhaps 20 quilts, which isn't enough to base an opinion on, considering all that is out there. However, I consider myself a utility quilter, with emphasis on usability. Bed-sized quilts are quilted in sections; 50" x 60" and smaller in one piece in designs achievable with a walking foot. Simple patchwork appeals to me: squares, rectangles, diamonds.

Free-motion quilting is fun. I can do it, but my machine ($150 Singer) will accomplish only so much before saying NO MORE, so for the sake of a stress-free existence, I listen to the machine. They say "A poor workman blames his tools," but tools do have limitations.

Every quilt I've made has incorporated new methods, and next up is a Drukard's path variation called Make Mine Mocha (lap size), purchased from the Internet somewhere. Looking forward to it.

I guess that's the style I like best--one that stretches me to the next level.