Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you find yourself attracted to a specific style?

Blog Entries
    I love all quilts!! :D My favorites though are the traditional and scrappy ones!! They just seem more homey to me.
    I love the challenge of making a new block, but then am glad to keep making the same one while doing the quilt, as I know what I'm doing then! lol!!!
    :-)

Blog Entries
    I love Crazy quilts. Love the different types of fabric and then to embellish and embroider... I have done by hand and by machine.
    My favorite color must be shades of blue because my stash is 70% blues.
    Just finished a wedding Crazy quilt and will be posting today.
    Quilting of any kind is piece ( peace) of mind.

My love is sewing and handquilting Amish-type (inspired) quilts. I love large blocks of fabric just waiting for swirls, fans, spider webs, grids...

Second is traditional quilts with a scrappy feel. I love batiks, but find they don't work real well in traditional quilts.

Third is the sampler type quilts. I don't much like having to follow directions exactly...

and I love working in black/white and red. I love the play between black and white, and then throw a red heart appliqued to it. It makes the heart pop right out at you. Nancy's Quilt Shop in Las Vegas is the best place I know to get black and white quilts.

Anita

I really haven't decided what I like best. I do like trying different ones to find what I like. I have notice from the gals in my quilt guild you can pick out whose quilt it is by colors, it seem we tend to for the same colors most of the time.

Good question, Ethel. Caused me to think.

In the past 20 years, I have completed perhaps 20 quilts, which isn't enough to base an opinion on, considering all that is out there. However, I consider myself a utility quilter, with emphasis on usability. Bed-sized quilts are quilted in sections; 50" x 60" and smaller in one piece in designs achievable with a walking foot. Simple patchwork appeals to me: squares, rectangles, diamonds.

Free-motion quilting is fun. I can do it, but my machine ($150 Singer) will accomplish only so much before saying NO MORE, so for the sake of a stress-free existence, I listen to the machine. They say "A poor workman blames his tools," but tools do have limitations.

Every quilt I've made has incorporated new methods, and next up is a Drukard's path variation called Make Mine Mocha (lap size), purchased from the Internet somewhere. Looking forward to it.

I guess that's the style I like best--one that stretches me to the next level.

Blog Entries
    I'm still too new to quilting to say. I think that I like them ALL! I make sure that I am trying some new technique on every quilt so that I can figure out what I really like the best. It seems that my favorite is the one I'm going to make "next".. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I tend to go for the country scrappy look. If a quilt is very designed it turns me off for some reason. They just don't feel as comforting if it is too Perfect.
    I totally agree with this. The too symetrical...too designed looks don't do much for me. They can be very pretty, but I like the scrappy/country look myself.

We have a gal in our quilt guild who is into Black and White quilts she adds the Red for the pop. I love her quilt, so we did a mystery quilt as a part of our group. We were to go outside our box and pick colors we didn't always use. I did a black and White, but I used blue as my color to make it pop. I'd post a picture but I still haven't learned that on the computer hope to learn soon.
    Linda

oh, Linda, oh please oh please oh please oh please oh... you get the idea... PM me or something. I will walk you through getting something on the computer and uploading it to a site like this...

I need to see how various colors interact with black and white quilts. I have used red in one and purple...

Anita

Blog Entries
    I've done a little applique and want to get back into that.I have done lots of tranditional quilts and have made several patterns multiples times. In the last couple of years I've done several of the scrappy quilts and I like the homey look to them. I want to try a Bargello and have bought a pattern to do that. I started with a sampler and think it is an excellent way to start and will do that again.

Your quilts sound very interesting. Could you please post some of your work; I would be very interested to see them

Ellis' Granny B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2