Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you get handmade gifts? >
  • Do you get handmade gifts?

• Do you get handmade gifts?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 AM

I don't get homemade gifts.
    Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 AM

I have a sewing group of 12 friends...best friends..we have been together quilting once a week for
    almost 20 years, and often do weekend retreats. Every year we do a special Christmas...you don't
    have to give something homemade, but often the gifts are homemade and wonderful gifts of the '
    heart from my friends. I treasure our friendships and the time spent together...and the gifts are a
    bonus.

Other than than, no, I don't get hand-made gifts.
    Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM

no one except for me sews. My daughter just started off and on a few yrs ago but with two kids and working and going to school there's not a lot of time. Not because I didn't have the funds (even though sometimes it was tight) I taught all of my 5 kids that in order for their names to go on a present they had to either buy it, with money they earned or help make it, if they didn't do something to contribute to it, it would be cheating to let them put thier names on it. My daughter has carried on that tradition with her son and I'm sure her daughter when she's old enough. Things are tight for them so over 90% of the things she gave out this yr was homemade, for everyone. She made bath gels, lip gloss, etc. She even had homemade picture frames from the twigs my DGS collected in the front yard and then had pics of the kids in them. It meant the world to me, not only the homemade gifts but the fact that out of all of my kids (my only daughter, 4 boys) she cared enough to carry on this tradition that also teaches values. Most moms will admit, no matter what the age, when it comes to homemade gifts from our kids, they are priceless
    Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM

I have a great friend from this board and she has surprised me with a table runner and a mug rug, along with quilting blocks from time to time. I really enjoy her friendship so the gifts are made more special.
    Old 05-05-2013, 12:03 PM

My granddaughter made me a mug rug one Christmas. I treasure it. I suspect that people do not give me handmade qifts because they know that I sew all the time. Fortunately, my daughters love getting getting hand made gifts from me. I have already started some of the quilts that I want to give as gifts this Christmas. I plan to make quilts, pillow cases, hand bags and doll clothes for gifts this Christmad.
    Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM

I would feel that my quilting is so inferior to anyone who knows how to quilt, I would never make a quilt for them. I have to gift only to people who don't know enough about quilts to critique them, but merely to appreciate the thought.
    Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM

I have a few friends and family who give me handmade gifts. My BFF and I exchange a variety of handmade items whenever the mood strikes. Sometimes it is an item one of us has made, sometimes it is an item we find elsewhere.

I'm really excited that one of my sons gives me prototypes of the items he creates. I have a very nice leather wallet and a beautiful maple leaf design leather fan that he has tooled and hand stitched. I also have a number of other artistic creations from this very talented son.
    Old 05-05-2013, 05:57 PM

I help my grandchildren make gifts for their parents and their other grandparents. One granddaughter gave me a picture she painted (she's 11). It hangs in my sewing room and I treasure it - it is the only handmade gift I've received.
    Old 05-05-2013, 06:25 PM

My DD has made me a lot of gifts--cross-stitched and quilted wallhangings (mostly Christmas, since I love Christmas), a T-shirt quilt of many of my old shirts (she got tired of seeing them in my sewing room waiting for me to make it LOL) and a surprise signature quilt for my 70th birthday.
    My BFF gives me homemade cookies and little cakes for Christmas. I hate baking, she loves it and knows I really, really enjoy the goodies she sends me.
    Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 PM

I don't know what happened but somehow my parent's generation in my family is just NOT crafty. Both of my grandmothers were sewers and quilters so I grew up with all kinds of lovely personalized quilts and handmade dolls. Now....not so much!

I have trained my sister, though, in that all I want from her for Christmas & birthdays is stuff made by her 2 kids. She thinks I'm just "being nice" because she's a single mom on a tight budget but as I keep telling her...I really and truly LOVE every single little thing those kids have made for me. This past Christmas my husband & I each got a hand-painted ornament and also a hand-drawn card from the kids and it's one of the best gifts I've gotten. I will cherish those ornaments forever! I love that stuff and I don't have kids of my own so where else am I going to get refrigerator art!?!?

OH, my sister did make some coasters for me a few years back, with pictures of the kids. I refuse to set drinks on their cute little faces, though, so they're lined up on my mantle on display. LOL

My best friend, before she passed, would often give me her drawings just randomly as she finished them. She never thought they were good but I always cherished them so I ended up with a lot of them, and now that she's gone they're some of my most prized possessions. In fact I'm planning a memorial tattoo for her, based on one of her drawings.