Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you get handmade gifts? >

Do you get handmade gifts?

Do you get handmade gifts?

Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 AM
dd

My dil just gave me a circular piece of slate for my birthday. She decoupaged a picture she had drawn of our hands with pinkies linked and a beautiful poem she had written. I just love it.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a German friend I met through my blog and she made me an incredible scarf! It's so delicate. Then she sewed me the cutest thing that I don't even know what it is. It was full of German chocolates. I have another friend I met on another quilting forum and she made me embroidered snowflakes. I love getting handmade gifts!! Especially the scarf!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:05 AM

I usually make something for my sewing buddies that they would not normally make for themselves - totes, pincushions, etc. They do the same for me. I love getting handmade things from them. They are some of my most prized possessions.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 AM

Before I retired I was so busy teaching, lesson planning and correcting papers to give handmade gifts. Now most of my gifts are quilts, table runners, mug rugs,pot holders, infinity scarves. I only sew, so knitting or crocheting are left to others. My daughter is very artistic and she has blessed me with some lovely pictures she has painted and she has also sewn some lovely purses I enjoy. Now it seems gift cards are popular. My sis and daughter give me gift cards to my favorite quilt shops, which helps feed my passion for fabric and quilting.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 AM

My family is not too crafty...I wish someone would make me a hand made gift! This is why I really enjoy the swaps on the board..Secret Santa is another wonderful swap...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM

In my family the males who can sew etc have other hobbies and interests . They married non sewing crafty girls. From a family who did a wide mixture of crafts tailor, crochet, knitting, cook, embroidery and drawing, music. Now only myself craft and a cousin who wood turns. I have tAught for 40 years and when we tried to teach a group knitting. We found out the ills who were enjoying it went to their grandmas for a weekend to learn because mums had no idea. Even making maypole skirts I had to do them as no parent could.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 AM

My friend and I exchange crafty gifts. I've given her some cross-stitched items (along with the promise of a quilt someday) and she gives me handmade dolls and drawn art! We also write back and forth like crazy, stories and the like.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM

Some of the women in my quilt group have given me handmade gifts in the past and I love them. Best of all are the gifts I get from my 27 year old grandson and his girlfriend who do handmade Christmas gifts every year. I think they began doing it because they were strapped for cash but it has become a tradition and everyone in the family loves it.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 PM

My sister-in-law knitted 2 gorgeous, lacy scarves for me. I've had a couple of men stop me on the street and ask where I got one in particular, because they wanted to buy one for their wives. Other than that, I haven't received any handmade gifts. Not a crafty bunch, I guess.

I like to give quilts and BBQ sauce. Everyone loves my BBQ sauce, they all think I should produce it commercially. I make gallons and gallons every summer, and if you're good you get some for Christmas.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:52 PM

I get hand made gifts occasionally. Mostly I get gift certificates.