Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a back up machine? >

Do you have a back up machine?

Do you have a back up machine?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Look on ebay for a motor -- I got a bernina motor for $20.00 on ebay that new would have cost anywhere between $300 and $600 if I could even get it because it is obsolete and they're not making them anymore! Just put the study on the motor and figure out what you need and apply patience to the project!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Oh yes... three! I would be very sad and a mess without being able to sew.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 PM

I definitely have a backup. My main machine is a flat-bed Pfaff 1216 (very similar to the coveted 1222) and my backup machine is a portable Pfaff 1047. Both are late 70's early 80's era all-metal, made in germany workhorses. The flatbed is my main machine because of the built in cabinet and also because it has IDT (built-in walking foot). But I do use the other one when the 1216 is in for servicing. I also use it for sewing knit tops and bathing suits because it has better stretch stitches than my 1216.

Backup machine definitely a necessity if you can afford it!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 PM

I have an older Pfaff in the garage waiting for a daughter to eventually want to learn to sew or quilt, but it is there for me to use if my beloved Bernina gets sick.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 AM

I do have a few back ups. My favorite is a Household from the 50's or 60's since its not a Singer its hard to date. I love it sews through anything. I also have an old Kenmore that I would live to have room to set out. It has the cabinet that looks like it has drawers when the chair is pushed in. There are also 3 slant machines out in my shed. Oh to have a huge sewing room to be able to set all of them out. lol
Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 AM

Yes, the following Singers Featherweight, a 301A, a 457, awaiting delivery on a totally refurbished 301 (purchased from eBay)and a new Singer Fashion Mate (don't care for it much). A Viking 6460 I will be sending to have refurbished. I take my 301A to guild, one day the foot control would not work, fortunately, my 457 was still in the van, so I had a backup. I bought another foot control off of eBay for the 301A. When I get the new 301 I will use it at guild and keep the 301A in the van for backup. I have learned my lesson. I forgot to mention the treadle, and two in camelback cases.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Yes, my back-up is a Janome Harmony made for Sears. I use it for things that I dont want to run through my Bernina.
Such as...I made new seats and backs for my MIL outdoor furniture. The sunbrella fabric is so thick I didn't want to take the chance of messing up my "good" machine.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM

I have a Janome 9500 which my partner talked me into for embroidery-which is such a pain it annoys me every time I make a payment! Also inherited an elderly computerized Pfaff that is a great machine, and old metal portable we've never even looked at, odd brand, and 2 sergers that are incomprehensible to operate! Back-ups are a must but this may be a little over the top.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM

I don't have a back-up. My machine is ill and, in the words of the repairman there's not much to do with it now but, "to keep it warm and comfortable." I'm limping along with it and really wish I had a dependable backup. It's not a good time for me to buy one now but nevertheless, I will be out shopping for a good bargain this weekend.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:30 PM

I have a Singer featherweight too. I got a new computerized and thought of selling the Singer, but what if something goes wrong with it (God Forbid) I would be lost until it was repaired. I will always have a backup.