Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you have quilting friends like this?

I have a group of friends who get together once a month to quilt. I'm the newbie in the group and really rely on the other ladies' expertise and input when I make a quilt or wallhanging. Not sure what I'd do without my quilting friends!

I wish I had a group like yours. I have only one quilting buddy, and she likes to come over to play. We've talked about starting a quilting group at church, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in it.

Totally jealous. I am a "solitary quilter" for sure.....

It is a blessing to have lady friends, even more so when they are quilters. I belong to several groups of friends that each meet once a month to sew, eat, visit, and help each other. We have a wonderful time and miss each other terribly when one of us can't make a get together. Learning to quilt and the ladies I've met has been the best part of my life, except for my DH of course.

GREEEEEN with envy here too! LOL Have a wicked awesome day!
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

Yes I do. I have three different groups I do it with. We do this regularly. One group is once a quarter-rotating hostesses, one is as we can usually at my house and the other is twice a year for a big bash that I hostess.

Saturday, I am having 10 people at my house for two days--open house style. Come when you can, bring a dish to pass, your project and machine and a sense of humor. Five are experienced quilters and five are non-quilters. I usually invite 15 ish.

Blog Entries
    hi scrap lady we have awonderful group... we sew we quilt we talk we share every thing.we learn sooooo many things from show and tell. love from Wetumpka near Montgomery

How fun!! I love those kinds of friends. I have done that a time or two. Maybe I need to call them up more often and have them just come over and sew and I serve soup
    !!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    When I lived in southern California (moved from there in 92) I had a wonderful friend, Paula, and we used to quilt together often, but then I moved away. Now in SC, I noticed several on the QB who listed SC as their location, so I PM'd each one. We all live within a 2 hour drive of each other. So far we have gotten together 3 times, twice at restaurants for lunch, and once at my home for the afternoon. Our next get together will be a trip to Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC. Quilting friends are great.

Blog Entries
    I have a group of friends living close. When one knew I was getting lonely after an operation earlier this year she drove over to take me to class. Later I returned favour by having a sewing day at her house. We also have visits to a quilt shop and we stop for lunch on the way back. Quilting has given me so many reliable friends.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Those of you that have a friend or friends to get together with, quilting or not, are very, very blessed.

Ladibug

Oooooooh! That would be so wonderful! Call me so envious in Wyoming!

Your friends sound great! I don't have any quilting friends at home (mine or theirs), but I'm almost healed from ACDF surgery and hope to start going to classes and charity sewing meetups at the LQS once a month pretty soon.

btw now I'm craving chili, and not the canned junk, thanks!
    :-)
    CAS

Enjoy your day with your friends. I just moved to a new town and don't know any one. I would love to have quilting buddies, sometimes it is hard to get anything done without a nudge.

Wow.....this is neat. I do not have any friends here at all, much less someone that quilts. It is pretty lonely for me. My bestest friend, my hubby is wonderful, but I would love to find friends......
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

About a year and a half ago we moved to an area where we didn't have friends. But I did find a quilt group. These gals had known each other forever, but they welcomed me like I was a long lost sister. They and their quilting have been such a blessing to me. They all talk at once and laugh and just have fun. Even if I didn't like to quilt, I think I would fake it just to get to be with them. They brighten my life. I wonder if quilters are nicer people than most???
    jean

What a beautiful both happy and sad story. I am so glad you had that time together. Enjoy the special memories.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
    My quilting buddy used to live next door. She passed away a year ago though. It was so fun to sit and chat about our quilting projects share patterns and plan shopping trips together. Boy do I ever miss that!

Oh well, that was a total miracle to have a buddy next door! I thank god for her still.

I have thought about joining a guild, but, the weather or my health doesn't always allow me to go anyways.
    Anna Quilts

Good for you. I am a loner and work best by myself. My oldest Daughter Quilts too. We do it seperate and then take them to work for pictures. We only made the same quilt pattern once, in different colors. Hers was prettier than mine. I gave mine to my MIL and she loves it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I am turning very green with envy. I wish. Cherish your friends. They seem like a great bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    Envious over here! My bestest quilt buddy moved very far away, so we can only quilt together virtually.

Alison
    I feel your pain, Alison. My bestest friend moved 120 miles south of me, we only see each other 3 times a year now.
    She used to live 5 miles from me.
    Sharon

Oh, it sounds like so much fun. Happy quilting!!

Blog Entries
    I prayed my quilting friend almost into my backyard. They were looking for a place to park their motor home to live in. The 1st place wouldn't take them because of the dogs. Another place further up the interstate said they would. They went there, rented the spot, and were setting up. Out of the blue, the manager sent word that they changed their mind. In the meantime, i had asked my husband about them staying at our 2nd property with a vacant mobil home. So, now they live almost behind me in their motor home. I told her i had prayed for a way that they could move onto our property, but didn't want to mention it until i asked my husband. By the time my husband got back to me and said yes, they had just been told they had to leave. It has been a blessing both ways!
    HisPatchwork

I have friends that I go to quilt classes with, and the guild meetings, but I have MS and some other conditions that prevent me from sewing at long lengths of time, so I do a lot of phone sewing with my friends.
    A lot of the shops have open sewing days- a good way to meet new friends and move it to your homes! Guilds are just awesome, too.

My best quilting friend moved out of state. I miss her. We both take care of elderly mothers. When my mom is driving me crazy I call her to talk, after a while she asks what my mom did to upset me today and I tell her and in a few minutes she can find something funny about the situation and has me laughing. She has been quilting since the '70s and I started in '99. When we talk quilts, that we are having trouble with, we feed off each other and sometimes the direction of whatever quilt takes a new direction. She has moved twice and I have helped her set up her sewing space when I visit. She had some quilts that had stalled. Since I had just seen all her stash I gave her suggestions and pulled out fabrics and came up with ideas to finish them. We wrote it all down so she would remember what to do with them. My ideas helped her come up with some ideas and we had a great time. I almost lost her this last Feb. She had some surgery that saved her life.

Blog Entries
    That sounds like so much fun. You are so blessed! My quilting buddy lives in CT. We maybe see each other once a year. We trade emails and photo of our work. I do belong to a fun quilt guild that meets once a month. That would be tomorrow. We have a 6 hour sewin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast