Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a System ?

Blog Entries
    People say this or that quilt is "on their list".Do
    you all keep a written list or ? I sure need a system,
    but hate to start another notebook of lists.Don't knw how to do that on my MacBook. There are pics of quilts etc ,notes saved here & there....it's a mess.Do you have a system to keep notes & pics together?

Absolutely no system but do have scraps of papers all over the place!

No system here either. I think that I will start from scratch. First I will make a list of my UFO's and work from there.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    No system here, either!

Blog Entries
    nope and I think I've planned and then forgotten dozens of projects.

go with my instinct in that moment...

I stuck all of my scraps of paper in a notebook!! Some day I will transfer the info onto the pages of the notebook, in some kind of order!! Hopefully!!

My system is a focal fabric and then I roll with it! No set project or pattern until I find just one piece of fabric I like then I look for a pattern. Sometimes I will see a pattern and then find the focal fabric and go. It all depends on how the fabric "talks" to me.

No system, I print some patterns, email some to myself and continue to find more I would love to make. I look back through my patterns and they all seem new again and OH so pretty and interesting.

Blog Entries
    I copy the picture of quilts I like and paste them in a word document labeled Quilts in my computer. Then when I need inspiration I go through that document. I even talk picture of quilts at shows, shops, etc. and add them to this document.

the final product of my quilts never look like the blue print I created...they are only used as guides during the project. After that, they are trashed.

Blog Entries
    I have pictures and patterns, and ideas in files on the computer, not to mention all of the paper copies and notes LOL Be organized? that takes the fun out of the hunt :D:D:D

I have labeled folders on my Mac laptop - quilts, projects, blocks, ideas

As I see something I like, I save it to app. folder

But don't ask me to find anything... LOL

Blog Entries
    I put some patterns in a folder labled quilts to make. I also keep zip-lock bags with my cut out fabrics that I have planned for scrap quilts together with a picture or pattern. When the bag gets too full to close, I start sewing them together.

If I had a system for keeping my quilting ideas organized I wouldn't have to keep redoing the math work for my sea map wall hanging I have yet to start on (I've made a resolution this year!)---I have done the island to block size ratios so many times because I keep on loosing the paperwork for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    If I had a system for keeping my quilting ideas organized I wouldn't have to keep redoing the math work for my sea map wall hanging I have yet to start on (I've made a resolution this year!)---I have done the island to block size ratios so many times because I keep on loosing the paperwork for it.
    I've done that too. I finally put all the info in a text document on the computer, right on my desktop, and it was easy to find.

I have a 3 ring binder that I have filled with page protectors that I slip patterns either purchased, or printed off the internet into. Then when I need my next project, I sit down with the binder and re-arrange the patterns until one demands to be in the front of the book. Then I head to the LQS to get fabric for it, see a pattern I like even better and make it instead LOL

Sorcha

I have a few folders saved on my computer called QuiltingDreams. I put notes pictures etc in there. For my stuff I Keep a sketch pad and use colored pencils and a good ole' ruler. Never be afraid to trust yourself and your creativity. I say that because I seem to have ALOT of stuff but don't utilize it well. My resolution for this year is to go thru my stash and supplies and inspect each and every thing. Will it help me or is it too much trouble? I spent good money on it at one point & time...My room is overflowing and I want so badly to be organized but can't part with my fabric and things that seem to take up so much room. At LEAST one quilt a month to the finished stage is my goal for myself this year.

My system???? Sticky notes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    People say this or that quilt is "on their list".Do
    you all keep a written list or ? I sure need a system,
    but hate to start another notebook of lists.Don't knw how to do that on my MacBook. There are pics of quilts etc ,notes saved here & there....it's a mess.Do you have a system to keep notes & pics together?
    Yeah, it's all in my brain somewhere :roll: :lol:

Shoot, I'm so easily distracted you just haven't an idea of the mess I have. Monkey see and plays, and sees and plays!

I don't have a very solid system. I have a notebook of graph paper where I draw out any plan that I want to do, in that, I calculate dimensions, yardage, pieces and blocks require, etc. I usually work in that book when I am actually planning a quilt, have fabrics and an idea of what I want to do. When I know I want to group certain fabrics together for a quilt, but don't yet have a pattern, I put those fabrics in a zippered plastic bag that sheet sets come in. When I DO have a pattern decided, but just not started yet, I will put the pattern or my notes in the bag with the fabric. I save links, download "some day" patterns and save pictures and keep them all in a folder on my computer.

Sometimes I just grab fabrics and go with the flow.

no system.
    I have an idea of about 5 projects I want to work on, sorta got an order in my head but then I'm a free spirit and if I'm not in the mood to work on something I'm not gonna. lol
    I do have an notebook that I keep notes for all my crafting in just because I forget so easily my projects....lol

I have a folder on my computer of ideas, and a couple of binders of ideas.

When I buy fabric for an idea, I will print out or cut out the idea or pattern and put it with that fabric in one of my many bins.

My goal for 2011 is to actually make some of the "ideas" that are in my bins and clear them out somewhat.

It's not really a system - but I have a feeling that will change this year as I work through what I have.

I have a folder, but no real system!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast