Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have trouble making the first cut?  I have a mental block here. >

Do you have trouble making the first cut? I have a mental block here.

Do you have trouble making the first cut? I have a mental block here.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Default Do you have trouble making the first cut? I have a mental block here.

I guess I'm afraid of messing it up but I can procrastinate for several weeks before I'll start cutting the pieces for my next quilt. I do the pre-washing and ironing but then I'm stuck. It's a big problem for me and stresses me out. I know I need to get started but can't seem to take the first step! Once I start, I'm fine and will keep cutting, sewing, and quilting til it's done. So today I'm finally going to force myself to cut out the lap quilt for my husband! It's wildlife panels and I hoped to have it done for his birthday, May 12, but not so sure now I'll meet that deadline! May have to be a belated gift . I've been quilting for about 3+ years and have made about 8 -10 quilts (some smaller sizes) but I don't seem to get past this hangup. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM

I have the same mental block...Not exactly words of wisdom but my DH always says "It's just fabric. You cut it or I will". I don't think he really would..but it still gets me going.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM

No words of wisdom from me either. My favorite step is picking out the design and fabrics. Least favorite is cuttining. So I struggle with the same thing!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

You know, sometimes this happens to me. I think I am a bit lazy, kind of want it to cut itself. If I have a deadline like a birthday, it seems to give me a push. You are not alone. Grab that cutter and go to town.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I have trouble getting started too, but it's because I can't decide what to make next, not because I'm afraid to start cutting.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:26 PM

measure twice and start cutting.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:48 PM

I agree cutting is the part I dislike, but you can't get to the fun part without cutting.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM

I like cutting -- and I do it the old-fashioned way, with (eek! gasp!) scissors. Measure twice, cut once is good advice. I usually think about measuring and then cut. Every now and then I have to fix a booger but nothing too awful. I consider that part creativity! LOL

Good luck with your project .
Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 PM

I've had that problem before but usually not with quilting.
It took me awhile to cut into the fabric for my wedding dress. I think it was because I was wanting it to be so perfect and I was afraid I'd mess up since my friend and I had created the pattern and I was in jitter mode anyway!!! Came out just fine and I still can't believe I thought I was fat back then. Lol!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! It's true it usually ends fine and I wonder why I hesitate. I did get started today on my project and no problems. Even got quite a bit of piecing done. Mom-6, I'm impressed, creating and sewing your own wedding dress! WOW! And I bet it was beautiful. Now that would have scared me, unless I was braver back then - almost 50 years ago!.