Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you just throw your old needles?? >

Do you just throw your old needles??

Do you just throw your old needles??

Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I only toss needles when they are broken, bent or have a burr.
Don't see a great need to get a new one otherwise. Never was instructed otherwise in either HS or college home ec sewing or tailoring classes.
Had not heard about the concept of using a new needle for each project except in posts on this board.
I agree. I usually change if it is making a popping sound also. Iv'e done a lot of sewing over the years and really have not encountered many problems.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 AM

I have a small plastic soda bottle with a screw on lid that I use for old needles and bent pins. I glued the lid to the bottle and poked a hole in the top with an ice-pick. I just drop the needles and pins through the hole. When it is filled, it is safe to put in the recycling bin.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM

I put old needles, pins, and broken ones into a little can with a snap on plastic lid, and put it in the recycle or hazardous waste along with the diabetic "needles" my husband uses to test his glucose. I feel it is unsafe to put sharp items or broken glass in regular trash.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:07 PM

I put them into an empty tic tac container. I rotate them at least every 3rd project.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
I have read often, that you should start each new project with a new needle, and so I have wondered just what you do with the old needles. Do you just put them in a case and throw them away, or is there some way to sharpen the point and reuse? I have always just put them in my throw away bottle, but have a hard time doing that, because to me it is wasteful. Any comments on what you do, are really welcome. Thanks in advance for all comments. They are always so useful.
I pound then into the walls for picture hangers.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:10 PM

My serger tends to be fairly sensitive, so that gets new ones pretty regularly...better that than messed up lower or upper loopers. Very special projects get new needles. Otherwise, I inspect needle points via magnifying glass to see if they're still looking good enough to use, but first sign of trouble and they're in the trash. Yeah, no jars or containers, am I bad?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM

I put mine in a tic tac container. It's not even full yet! I don't spend as much time sewing as I do on the computer.

I figure it's like getting an oil change in the car - preventative maintenance.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
I agree, I just put them in an old prescription bottle with a hole on the top. That way they don't spill out.

I have a couple very full bottles. :(
That's what I do, even with bent straight pins. When the bottle gets full I trash it. No danger of anyone getting stuck.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:26 AM

I put mine in an old medicine bottle. They do not fall out & I do not worry about anyone being stuck by a needle.

I also save the holder of the cutter blades. Mark on them used & new and discard them in it. They are dull for fabric but can still hurt someone if they come through the trash bag.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 AM

I get rid of my old needles by putting them in the slot that is in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I think the slot is for old razor blades.