Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a quilt diary? >

Do you keep a quilt diary?

Do you keep a quilt diary?

Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Not so far. I have a grid-paper pad that I use to plan my projects. It has a lot of info in it.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Not so far. I have a grid-paper pad that I use to plan my projects. It has a lot of info in it.
I also have a quad ruled composition book. WM carries them for back to school. I like the composition book size. It's more of a hard copy blog I guess. I do sketches & plans of quilts, calculations, names of patterns & locations (book/magazine & page #) and fabrics I'm considering. I try to take a picture of all my completed items, but I'm not very consistent.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

I keep fabric scraps with the EQ printout of the pattern. It goes into a binder. Pictures are stored on my computer.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:12 PM

I try to take a photo of every quilt when it's done. Sometimes they get away from me. I write down info about the quilt, yardage, # of blocks, etc, etc. in a spiral notebook as I work on each quilt. It's never been about posterity, just to keep me sane as I'm working on the quilt. I have hung onto most of the pages, with a few fabric scraps pinned or stapled to them, just in case I ever want to make that design again. But truth be told, I'm not very organized about it. Someday I ought to take time to go through and put them in some kind of order, maybe make a file folder for each quilt and put the folders in small decorative file box. That way I wouldn't have to go hunting through my stacks of papers.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:51 PM

I bought a scrap book last year to put my quilt photos in, then I lost the first batch of photos so could not start putting them into the book as I wanted to keep it in chronological order. I have now found the photos so perhaps I should put them in the book before I loose them again...maybe after Christmas. I also have started a blog as a way to document what I have done.

Its easy to forget just how much you have done in a year.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:57 PM

I keep a "quilt journal" in which I document the project. I name the pattern used, designer (if not an original), where I found/bought the pattern (magazine, book, etc) and what inspired me to make that particular project. I include swatches of the fabrics used and include the name of the fabric, manufacturer, style number from selvage (if available) and where I purchased it. I also take photos of the project while in progress and when completed. Sometimes I write my thoughts as I am working on the project. Inspirations, frustrations with the project, who I am making it for and why, etc. I also keep the receipts from the fabric, batting, threads, etc., so I have a record of how much in materials the project cost me. Maybe I include more than most people, but I love to quilt and I love to write, so it is a win/win for me to journal this way. I guess you could call what I do a "hard copy blog"...LOL

Anita
Old 12-20-2013, 06:03 PM

When I started quilting in 1999, I created a folder for most of my completed projects that included the pattern and my notes. My DH is a camera nut, so he always had pictures of them on-line. Last year I bought a software program called Quilt Album, and I have spent lots of time getting them all entered in (along with a picture). I really enjoy this now because it is encouraging to go back and see all that I have accomplished.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:07 PM

No journal or records for me. It would be too time consuming and I have no interest in it. I prefer to just make quilts.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
When I started quilting in 1999, I created a folder for most of my completed projects that included the pattern and my notes. My DH is a camera nut, so he always had pictures of them on-line. Last year I bought a software program called Quilt Album, and I have spent lots of time getting them all entered in (along with a picture). I really enjoy this now because it is encouraging to go back and see all that I have accomplished.
Thanks for the tip about Quilt Album. I've been looking for a software to record my quilts. I have been using Word to document the process and pictures are in a file. If I knew how to create forms in Word, I wouldn't need QA.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:38 PM

I used one of the online printers ( Snapfish ) and had a nice hardcover book printed and bound for me this year of all the quilts I have finished in 2012 - 2013.

I have taken a picture of every quilt I have made , and I wanted a way to keep them documented off my computer as well as on, and this was an amazing option. I love that I can take it and show off all my quilts without having to even turn a computer on ! I hope to get one made each year to come as well so I will be able to look back and see how much I have learned and improved !

It was very easy to set up and it even let me add text to each page so I could put the quilt number ( I number all my quilts as well as name them ) the Quilt name, who received it and the date it was finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]452621[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]452622[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn2093.jpg   album-2.jpg