Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you make lists?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    Yes I make list for just about everything EXCEPT quilting. I only make a list for quilting when I'm needing supplies or take swatches with me when I'm trying to match fabric.
    I have three notebooks; one for groceries, one for me and one for my mother (96 in a few weeks). I start when I get up in the morning (around 5:00 AM), check the computer, do that stuff for the day, and get my notebook out and write down what I have to do during the day, who may be coming over, what has to be done, what I have to get, what I am going to fix for dinner, who to call. Then I have a NEON highlighter and cross each one as the day progresses. Then I sit down and sew. So far I put three ice cubes in each of my two orchid plants , have to remember that. Not only does it keep me from forgetting what I have to do, it gives me great satisfaction of what I have accomplished during the day. Sometimes I even go to the next day and start planning tomorrow - I even write down "Give Bess her heartworm pill". It keeps my head working and I need all the help I can get. Oh yes, I do have a quilting notebook for things I need when I get to JoAnn's or Hancock's. Change the calendars, gals, I have that written down, too!!!!!! Happy October! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I keep a notebook of what I made.. Listing just makes me depressed as I never get it all done- so I just started keeping a listing of what I accomplished. That way I know I have done something !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

In the early 90's where I worked sent me to learn how to teach Franklin Planner and then came back and taught most of our employee's to use them. I really helped me keep on track at work and home and helped many others . I really enjoyed doing that. I use a form of it today with quilting and life. Keeps me on track.

I don't make as many lists now as I used to when I was younger...DH used to say I needed a list to tell me where all my lists were...LOL
    I do have steno pads or note pads in every room in the house....Just in case I think of something I need or need to do while I'm in that room....
    I do make a list of projects (sewing/quilting/crafting) that need to be done before a certain date. Sometimes they don't all get done, but the ones for clients always come first and in order according to when I was contacted to make them.
    I do make lists of needed supplies for my sewing studio...some new things that I read about in magazines, hear about from other quilters,or see on the computer. I write down thread colors and numbers as they get low along with needles and other notions that are getting low/used up, etc. I keep a small notebook in my purse and put these lists in that notebook so I have it with me when I go out...I keep my Hancocks, Joanns, Hobby Lobby and etc. coupons in that same notebook.
    There have been some really good ideas in this post and I will use some of them as well...This helps me to keep things in order and keeps me focused on my projects...unfortunately, sometimes life gets in my way and I have to stop and clean house, do laundry, cook, help DH work on this old house (it's a 1902 house that we have been redoing for about 5 years now) and sometimes yardwork and shopping.

Keep the good ideas coming! Hugs, Drue
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I have a UFO list tacked to the wall next to my design wall. It keeps me from starting too many new projects before some of the old ones are finished. It is immensely satisfying to cross off a UFO when I have finished it with a thick red sharpie.

Sitting staring off into space! When I get to this point ( I'm not sure what to do next), I take all the thread off my spider!

Quote Originally Posted by Drue View Post
    I don't make as many lists now as I used to when I was younger...DH used to say I needed a list to tell me where all my lists were...LOL
    I do have steno pads or note pads in every room in the house....Just in case I think of something I need or need to do while I'm in that room....
    I do make a list of projects (sewing/quilting/crafting) that need to be done before a certain date. Sometimes they don't all get done, but the ones for clients always come first and in order according to when I was contacted to make them.
    I do make lists of needed supplies for my sewing studio...some new things that I read about in magazines, hear about from other quilters,or see on the computer. I write down thread colors and numbers as they get low along with needles and other notions that are getting low/used up, etc. I keep a small notebook in my purse and put these lists in that notebook so I have it with me when I go out...I keep my Hancocks, Joanns, Hobby Lobby and etc. coupons in that same notebook.
    There have been some really good ideas in this post and I will use some of them as well...This helps me to keep things in order and keeps me focused on my projects...unfortunately, sometimes life gets in my way and I have to stop and clean house, do laundry, cook, help DH work on this old house (it's a 1902 house that we have been redoing for about 5 years now) and sometimes yardwork and shopping.

Keep the good ideas coming! Hugs, Drue
    I hate that clean house part. Boy, i sew want a cleaning gnome to come in when i'm sleeping.

Blog Entries
    Not usually for quilting, but
    when planning for a trip
    I do.
    J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

A friend is completely re-doing her sewing studio. She is very talented and has taken an antique picture frame, removed the mirror and put in a board painted with chalkboard paint. She lists things on that....it is very elegant! As for me....scraps of paper, post its, notebooks, tablets - all have lists of some variety --- yard work, groceries, UFO's, etc. I never kept a calendar/date book until I retired.....lol

I have a dry erase board by my space-it keeps me on track as I work on blocks of the week and month. It also keeps me organized-if I am not feeling the love for one project, I can move on to the next. And because there is finite space, I actually finish things (something I am not particularly good at).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    Yes I make list for just about everything EXCEPT quilting. I only make a list for quilting when I'm needing supplies or take swatches with me when I'm trying to match fabric.
    Me too if I don't make a list of things I want to get done around the house nothing gets done. And once everything is crossed off for each day then I can sew or read or go gala-vanting with a clear mind (and conscience)

No lists for me! When I retired, I vowed to take each day as it came, do what I want when I want, and finish things as I get to them. Boy, is life simpler now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    the only lists i make are my shopping lists
    Me too. Then I get to the store and my list is usually at home! lol

I have a list of projects I want to do. I like to mark off finished projects and it helps me priroitize who get or what get done first. This past weekend, I got to mark three off my to do list. There are always projects showing up about the time I get it under control and re-write. I have a list I know I need to do before Christmas and I have the drop dead date to get them to the quilter. Keeps me straight.

Make your list. I also have notes for all quilts made and photos in a book.

Nope, no quilting lists for me. I have a small planner for birthdays and doctor appts. I have my projects sitting around the sewing room and if I have hours to sew, then I know I better work on DGS quilt. If I have less than an hour, I might cut the binding for a quilt or look at my fabric to see what will work for a binding. I go with the flow of time.

I don't have lists but I place all of my gathered suppies with the pattern together or kits in one place so that I can see what needs to be done. This keeps them out of the main stash so they aren't used for something else. I mentally have a list of what needs to be finished and when. I suppose that making a written list would be beneficial though.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Me, too! Lists for almost everything except quilting, unless I'm headed out for something specific (like, I need a certain amount of something). But of course, I always end up buying stuff not on the list! :-D

Never thought about lists, but DID think about containers for my UFOs after I realized that I cut up what I thought were scraps to make a wallhanging, to later realize they were parts of an unfinished purse! LOL

Without my notebook I woulld be lost!! Of course there are so many times I have lost my lists!! I also have a calendar book to keep track of my many doctor and lab appointments...Since I have been out of work this past year on disability, I have to keep track of what day of the week it is!!

Dee
    I keep lists of projects I want to do. Its a goal to me and then I cross over the ones I've done.

Jim
    I make shopping lists....only so we make sure to get everything we need at the grocery or fabric shops and to make sure we have coupons ready and available(even on i-phones)
    "TO DO" lists are too constraining....I know that all the "round2it" things will get done and prioritized and sometimes they get pushed back and sewing happens...Oh well its my life and no one died because the grass waited a day later to be cut.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

I keep all my quilts listed each on their own page in a composition notebook. When I design out a quilt on graph paper, I cut it out & tape it on the corresponding page.

I then write my notes such as block size & quilt size as well as any notes as to if it is a rag quilt, to be machine or hand quilted, etc.

I make to-do lists, but hardly ever get to check anything off with taking care of my 3 little ones...haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
    I keep a little notebook listing all of my projects, ideas etc. it helps me keep track of QALs, due dates, etc. i recently started to make a list of what i want to accomplish during the week. For example, i know there will be a block of the week so i write that down. Then perhaps i need to make a backing or a binding. I set weekly goals for WIPs. Boy this has helped so much. Don't always get it all done but it sure keeps me from staring off into space wondering what i should do next. I make the weeks list on Saturday nite. Keeping track on a computer spreadsheet doesn't work for me. With my list and notebook in front of me, i can roll along.

Does anyone have a method to stay organized on a short term goals? I'd love additional ideas!
    "Some people have bunches of WIPs (works in progress) and UFOs (unfinished objects)....I prefer to think of them as PhDs (Projects Half Done)!!" ~Elena Boen
    "Just keep in mind that your function here is to have fun and not to be someone else's interior decorator! So ... go forth and have fun!" ~Krystyna
    I cannot count my day complete 'til needle, thread and fabric meet.

I belong to Stashbuster on Yahoo and we are supposed to keep track of our UFOs, and the ones we have finished (and other stuff, too). I make lists of everything, which drives my sister nuts.

I like making lists. And I've noticed she has now started making lists of her bills.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    No lists for me! When I retired, I vowed to take each day as it came, do what I want when I want, and finish things as I get to them. Boy, is life simpler now!!!!
    Wives and Mothers, I have discovered (back in 1993 when my husband retired) do not retire. It seems like I am working more now than I did back in '93! The other problem being - I get less done now than I did back in '93! Seems to take a tish longer now or else I am totally distracted from this or that! Not complaining, but how come days are shorter now than they used to be - My list consists of get up, get the paper, put the paper away, vacuum if you have time, stuff like that!!!!! Only kidding!!!!!! If it wasn't for my list and my highlight pen, I wouldn't get a thing done! I just got a fantastic federbett from my mother that was my grandmother's. I am trying to put a few stitches in where they broke in the baffle area. That federbett is going to be on the floor for a few weeks yet. It is extremely heavy, very bulky, hard to work with. They sure don't make ticking like that anymore, and the dog lays on it when I have to rest my arms. This is total hand work. Checked with mattress makers and upholstery stores, no one wants to touch it. So, I'll just do it all myself by hand and put the white muslin duvet over the top, get some twin sheets from Target and make me a few more - and save the muslin one! It is a good 6" thick. Imagine that puppy on top of a mattress! It should take about a week to do. It's on the list - and then I am sewing 5-1/2" blocks to make a backing for a quilt - that's another week. It's on the list! I love lists. Such a good feeling of accomplishment when the day is done and there is at least one thing marked off!!!!!!!! I have come to the conclusion that this is the reason that men go out and work and women stay home and keep the home. Men could not do it! Have you ever noticed that you end up doing things that aren't even on the list? When it says "pay bills" on my list, I even call up the utility company and get the amount we owe, write out the check, put it in the file cabinet before I even get the bill.......one less thing to have to think about when it does come - put the check in the envelope and mail it away! Have yourselves a great day today. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I love 'to do' lists. I keep one on the kitchen cabinet. If I write it down, I am more apt to get it done.
    And, when I look at the list, I decide which ones are to be done first, ones that can wait & must be done
    today. Such a feeling of accomplishment & am relaxed because I won't forget to do them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast