Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you make your own lingerie?

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    With todays undies all you need is a string and a HST! sounds easy to me!
    LOL!! That was the first thought that came to mind when I started reading this :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have been getting free underwear from Victoria's Secret for so long I doubt I'll need any for a looong time! They send out coupons for a free pair w/o making any other purchase.
    Underwear is something I would never make, no matter what :D:D

Okay, I think I would need a rope and half/block. :shock:

Nope, I wore feedsack panties as a child. Get mine from Wally world.

Too funny with the HST. lol

I took a class with (Home Exstention) and made panties one time. Still have some fabric, the pattern and etc. I loved doing
    it and they wore very well. A fun thing to do.

Flo in snowy NNY

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    My late Mom used to sew panties for us. She stopped when tricot and fancy laces became too expensive to make it worth the cost.
    mine too and we called them 'gorgeous gussies'

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    ... the girls up in the air instead of examining what's happening in your pants pockets.
    I'm thinking of visiting it at tax return time.
    Hysterical! Thanks for the morning giggle!

I once saw a class for custom fitted bras - the class was crazy expensive - like $200. Now that I'm older and things have... shifted... I wish I'd done it.

On the bottom, I'm an all cotton girl. For the top, I've found that my size usually means those flippin' underwires. Tell me a man didn't come up with that plan! I'll put an underwire in their shorts and see how that goes. Anyhow, I make a small snip in the center front and yank those underwires right out. Ahhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    No, darn near impossible to my way of thinking. I get free bras from Medicare since I have one side that is mine and the other one is a bag of silicone. Plus I am large in that area and have always had to get expensive bras. Tried a couple of times to make one but no way were they wearable. I'm told there is a
    shop in the next little town near here that makes bras to match your own shape and can keep the girls up in the air instead of examining what's happening in your pants pockets.
    I'm thinking of visiting it at tax return time.
    Your reply made me chuckle. I buy mine form Hanes on line. Always on sale. I LOVE cotton panties, especially in the summer when I sweat when working in the yard and garden. Is that too much information?

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    Growing up, my Mom taught us to do a lot of things just so we'd know we could do it if we had to.

$300 dollar a month water bill to teach the kids to garden? One year, ok. She wanted me to know I could sew underwear if I needed to, so I did. Still know I can, but I don't.
    Smart momma!

Blog Entries
    I also find that Victoria's Secret is a better fit so with the money I save in other areas I buy them when on sale of course. I was also told of another place from several folks that say its totally worth the price....but they are more expensive thab VS but a better fit for older woman. I haven't made the pluge yet but really thinking of it...

ROFL

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    sorry to be giggling here, but I am picturing myself in muslin undies... lol...

Blog Entries
    Even tho I recycle everything that I can , I do buy my bras and panties. For years , Ive bought pkgs of panties
    from Sears because they seem to fit best and I like the slippery ones , cotton drags on clothes.
    Bras are another story. Even tho I dont have much to hold up and never did, I like to wear bras because I wear t shirts almost daily and even if they arent thin, they can be "revealing" for some "pointy parts".

I have made swimsuits, panties, and slips. Martha Pullen has heirloom stitching patterns, and Stretch and Sew has patterns for use with stretch knits, ie nylon tricot. They are all simple and multisized. Try it. I have never made bras because I could not find the various notions needed, but Threads Magazine had an artiicle on making bras several years ago and they archive their articles. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    There are patterns too!, I have wanted to make the half slips, bras with the slips, panties , I did one bra and it did come out quite nicely, Mcalls, simplicity has the patterns, BUT you might find some poatterns at thirft store, or better yet you already have pattern, your own bras,panties etc, just trace them out and cut them out.

Go for it! and yes I'd rather buy the material, elastic, the eyelets and what ever instead of paying 20 or more for a bra! and you can make the support kind too!

Blog Entries
    Just try it ands see is all I can tell you.

Blog Entries
    Nope. there are somethings I'll spend the money on. Underwear are some of them.

Making underpants isn't that bad. I did it back in the day in high school (1975) . Still have my little box of elastics and pretty little embellishments. All in perfect condition! It wouldn't be that easy to find cute fun ideas today though. I looked online to see what was out there. Check sewsassy.com They sell all the stuff you are looking for.

From what I recall, tricot fabric is very wide so you could possibily get quite a few pair for your money. Who sews to save money anymore anyway?? Isn't it for the fun of it??!!

Blog Entries
    Yes I make my own undies. We used to have a lingerie shop in the cities and if you wanted a yard of fabric they would pull on the roll and you probably would get three yards for the price of one.Got lots and they last forever. They also had the eleastic to match. I still have fabric I haven't used for that purpose.

I remember, as a teenager growing up in MD, going to Hoschild Kohn or the Hecht Company and getting fitted by one of the very nice older ladies that worked in the lingerie departments. Now there is Bra La La. It's a little expensive but they will find the right fit for you from among the many, many bras they sell. I have thought of making my own because I'm hard to fit but never have.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just when I think I've heard it all..........

I used to make my own panties and they fit better, were prettier and I could make about 10 pair for what one pair cost to buy made. Remember panties started off as fabric and elastic and someone sewed them. You can do just as well and have about 20 pair of panties for what it cost to buy 2 pair. Thus said, I haven't made any in a very long time.

I recently acquired a partially made pair of panties that my mom must have started in the 70's. I think they just need the elastic sewn on. She made them by the dozens for all of us girls. I should finish them someday and see if they would fit one of my daughters or nieces. Yeah, I needed another UFO!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast