Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you "name" your sewing machines?

Do you "name" your sewing machines?

I can't help but think of my Sapphire as "Sophie" and my Emerald as "Emmy". Sophie is very new to me and I am getting very attached to her. [Is that weird?]

My Babylock is "Sir Chugs-a-Lot" (it's noisy). My White is "%$+%"!. It's not all weird when you think of the hours spend and enjoyment derived from a sewing machine. As you can tell, my White is the problem child in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    My Babylock is "Sir Chugs-a-Lot" (it's noisy). My White is "%$+%"!. It's not all weird when you think of the hours spend and enjoyment derived from a sewing machine. As you can tell, my White is the problem child in the family.
    Thanks for the early-morning lol! Your white is just strong-willed. And you are correct about the hours spent and the enjoyment. At this stage of life, I am helping care for my father, who has cancer and Alzheimers. I get tremendous pleasure/relief from de-stressing at my sewing machine, even though I'm a rookie. When I walk into my sewing room, it's like escaping into a different world.

My Bernina 820 is "Big Momma" My 440 and 430 are "the twins" and My 930 is "My ol' reliable friend".

My Featherweight is "Violet" and my 401A is "The Workhorse". I haven't named the treadle, as it is not fully restored yet. Haven't settled on a name for the Bernina.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

I named my Gammill "Gabby".

I have only named one, my featherweight is Miss Opal. She was the original owner and sewed many years on it. I love thinking of this lovely little lady as I use it.

I named my Horizon 7700 Lucy. I figured she can be Lucy and I'll be Ethel. Oh the trouble we can get into!

I had not thought of it until now, but I guess I could call my Brother SQ9000 "Bobby". I have a Singer that is retired....wonder if I could call that one Sherman. (Bobby Sherman)
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    i had a hard time deciding on names for my children, so don't name my machines LOL
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i had a hard time deciding on names for my children, so don't name my machines LOL
    haha.....well, at least your machines won't complain about their name or have trouble learning to spell it.

my long arm is Flowing Stitch nickname Flo...I love her

I own four machines but the only one I named is my 1928 vintage Singer. Her name is "Grace".
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I call them "Big Brother" and "Baby Brother", so I'd say no, I haven't named them. But I do talk to them, does that count? "Come on, sweetie, you can get through that thick seam. Maybe you need some oil and de-linting? Ahhh, I bet that feels better... I'm sorry it's been so long, you were thirsty, weren't you?" rofl! If my husband heard me, he'd think I was crazy.

Blog Entries
    My juki has been nicknamed the beast. The other machines. I tend to refer to by their make.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Oh yeah! I usually give them a "gender" first, just like my cars. But my Baby Lock Ellegante was Baby, my Ellisimo is Sweetie. Not original but ooh so satisfying.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

My daughter calls my Janome "Mr. Butter" (pronounced Butta) because it sews so smooth and quietly.

I have a 68 Kenmore table machine that my dad made a tabletop case for after the table was damaged that I call the Hulk. It's a homage to it's color and strength and weight, someday it will have a new life as a boat anchor.

I have 3 machines! A Janome Horizon 7700, a Janome Jem 760( easy to take to classes!) and a 1956 Singer Featherweight.....I only named my FW...'Gracie' after my wonderful Grandma who taught me to knit and sew when I was 6 years old!!!
    Hilary

Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    My Featherweight is "Violet"
    How funny! My purple FW is "Violet" too! My black FW is "Bobbie", named for the FW bobbin I found in my Mom's stuff for her 401 and took for "bait". Two weeks later I found her on craigslist; the seller lived 6 blocks from my Mom and her name was "Bobbie"! My 1928 66-6 is "Gladys" for my Grandmother who was the original owner.

My Bernina 440 is my "Baby". My first FW is "Spike" because the first time I saw him, I thought "This is one tough guy." My second FW, a white, is "Mz. Blanche" because she lived most of her life in Mississippi, so is a beautiful Southern lady. I haven't named my third FW, a 1951 Centennial, but am leaning toward "Penny" -- a cent, get it? My fourth is a tan, and I call her "CoCo". My fifth, a 1950 model, will be painted purple, and will probably be named "Pansy", "Lilac" or "Iris", depending on what shade of purple I can have. The sixth and latest FW doesn't have a name yet, but her serial number was released on October 8, 1952, and my birthday is December 5, 1952, so it will be something very personal to me. I also have a treadle that has no name.

My Singer's name is Luna Lovegood, Luna for short. She marches to the beat of her own drum. I feel like she goes about doing things her own way, but usually it's for our greater good.

My blue seam ripper is Jacque the Ripper.

My newest seam ripper is pink and lime green, and her name is Janet. Usually I call for her with line from Rocky Horror Picture Show-- "Da**it, Janet!"
    The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow. Do good anyway.

Boomerangs and BOM Blocks: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...19-albums.html

Nope, I don't name my sewing machines.

My Featherweight is Quiltie because I use her only for piecing quilts. My other machine is unnamed.

Yes, I refer to them as "the girls." Betty, Sally, Sue, Doris, Minnie, Maude, and Kitty
    ~Laura

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast