Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone? >

Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone?

Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM

If I already have the quilt sandwiched, I like to take it and quilt with others. However, if it's something I actually need to think about, I much prefer being alone. I sort of like spending time with me!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM

i sew alone .. so when i make a mistake the whole room won't be to shaken as to what is coming out of my mouth...
Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

I sew alone. Down in our basement without a window too. I did tons of swaps years ago though and it was great fun. Got me sewing which is something I don't do well when it's just me. Can't seem to get motivated easily. having to make blocks on time worked well at the time. Now i'm finishing up tops made with those blocks!!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM

I think that I like solitary sewing best. Did one Quilts of Valor sew day and discovered that it makes me too tense and nervous. But I am in a Saturday block of the month club at my LQS and enjoy all the comeraderie (sp?). It takes me almost an hour to get to the LQS, so that's when I shop for fabric too. They have some classes that I'd really like to take if I didn't have that pesky job that I'm supposed to go to every day. LOL!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM

Scissor Queen...That made laugh out loud!! If only more of this nations young ones had been raised this way!!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM

I think I learn a lot by just going to the group, if I get stuck they are there to help and I seem to just pick up a lot of good tips and tricks by being with them. On the other hand I like to do my cutting and really tough sewing at home when I can focus.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 PM

I like both. Fun with a group but relaxes me to sew alone.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I prefer to sew at home, but it's not really because of the talking in a group sewing situation. At home I have everything handy, my sewing machine is at the correct height for me and recessed into a table, the cutting table is large and at the right height, the lighting is good, my chair is ergonomic, and I can either listen to a book on CD or turn it off if I need to concentrate. If I get tired of sewing I can leave it for a few minutes or a few hours and it will be just where I left it when I come back. If I go out to sew I have to lug all my things, run the risk of forgetting something, have to deal with uncomfortable chairs and cutting tables, and I don't get much done. I love chatting with other quilters, but I'd rather not sew with a group.
I totally agree with you Dunster. I'm the same, even classes bug me so I don't do them often.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
i sew alone .. so when i make a mistake the whole room won't be to shaken as to what is coming out of my mouth...
Too funny...never thought of that.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 PM

I enjoy both. Our group meets once a month and we have lunch and a brief business meeting, lot of quilting related talk and chatting. As a new quilter and member of the community, I'm making new friends, learning a lot from the demos and projects, and through them I am able to participate in community charity work. But I do think the personality of the group decides whether or not it is a good and productive experience. I love sewing alone as well and I don't think I would want to go to group quilting more than once a month. I'm basically a loner too and by being a group member, I make myself get out and mingle. And I'm always glad it did.