Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone? >

Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone?

Do you prefer to sew with a group or alone?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM

I go to a UFO Day once a week. There are usually only four of us who attend. We talk, but not all the time. We all are serious about our sewing and sharing ideas and assistance but not mindless chatter. We all get lots of sewing accomplished. It is great. I get all my major cutting accomplished during these days, which enables me to sew at home.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 AM

Hi Letty,

as you will see from my details I live very close to you, infact I used to live in Blaydon but after several moves around the country am now in Newcastle more or less on the opposite side of the Tyne to you. I go to quilting classes once a week and am about to join a quilting group that meet once a month to sew over in Shiremoor.

We don't have quite so much going on here in England for group sewing but most of the quilting shops do have quilting sessions. I see you no longer drive which will be a problem for you because most of the quilting places are "off the beaten track". pm me if you would like to have a chat.

Eileen

Originally Posted by Letty View Post
I like both,however we recently moved and oh how I miss my quilting group.We did lots of sewing and helped out with any problems that came up with projects --- also with life in general ! Because I no longer drive I am finding it hard to find another group,I suppose I should make more effort.I go to a craft group within U.3.A but no one there does patchwork.If there is anyone out there near Blaydon Tyne & Wear U.K who would like to get together with me to sew,natter and share a good coffee perhaps they would let me know. Love Letty
Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 AM

I love my groups monthly meetings and our annual retreat (coming up next week!!!) but if I am going to get a huge amount done I am better with my tools etc. close at hand in my sewing room. Each has its purpose and I would trade one minute of it with my friends because they teach me so much.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 AM

I enjoy sewing!!! I enjoy sewing at home alone, in front of the tv while talking to my husband, while having coffee with friends, and enjoy packing up my sewing things to talk/coffee/sew with other quilters. Have I mentioned I just love to sew?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I enjoy sewing with friends but do agree that I get more done on my own. If I am sewing with others, I try to have everything cut and try to take more of the brainless work. Anymore I don't feel guilty about the housework, if it is there when I leave it will be there when I get back.
Me Too !!!! Life is to short unless you enjoy doing housework and wanting a spotless house at all times (not me). It is not dirty but it is not spotless either but it makes me happy .
Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 AM

I enjoy both, sewing alone I get bored sometimes. With a group, sharing what we've made or working on is inspiring to me. Which I need sometimes.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM

I like sewing with my guild at workshops they set up - always learning something new from them
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM

I'm the "cutter" for the small church quilting ministry that meets Monday nights. We're all learning together and sharing ideas, and have one LA member. Sewing at home? Not if I can help it, but there are times when I need to take a project home to consider how to deal with it next. Laying out a large quilt on my kitchen floor has its advantages, with the square foot floor tiles to keep things straight, but its nice to spread them out on the pushed-together tables at church. We have a great time together, and my church friends are also my local girl friends, since I moved here from out of state and knew nobody in the neighborhood.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM

I belong to a group that meets once a month for a 'show and tell' and coffee and dessert. It's fun to see what everyone else is working on and get inspired. I also meet with two or three others once a week for a couple hours in the afternoon during the fall, winter, and spring. We each bring some handwork we are working on and visit as we work. No coffee and dessert here, just a bottle of water. I have been working on a GFG type quilt for a couple years at this one and this project will last me a couple more years! Again, it is fun to get inspired by what the others are working on. To get a real project done I have to quilt by myself. There are four other ladies I have attended weekend retreats with and have gotten some things started but never have time to finish them. That's for when I am home alone.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 AM

I was just thinking about this last night. When I go to a retreat I can just concentrate on my sewing. I try to have my projects cut out ahead of time so when I get there I can just sew, sew, sew. When I am home there are too many distractions to have good quality sewing time. Plus at retreats the only meal I have to worry about is the one I am helping with. Can't wait for my retreat a week from today!