Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do you prewash batting when making a jacket?

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ

Do you prewash batting when making a jacket?

I have never prewashed batting even though I do prewash my fabric before making a quilt. I am going to make a quilted jacket using batiks & have washed the batiks. Do you prewash batting when making a jacket? I am not using the sweatshirt method, the blocks will be quilted to the batting. I never thought about the batting shrinking before. The batting is 80% cotton 20% poly.

If you don't preshrink every thing when you make clothing it may end up too small the first time you wash it. To preshrink batting, put it in the washer and fill with hot water. Turn the washer off!! Do NOT let it agitate!! Let it soak for 10 minutes or so and turn the washer to spin. Dry in the dryer. You'll need to take it out and rearrange it a couple of times. It'll roll itself into a ball and the outside will be dry and the center won't so you need to rearrange it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    If you don't preshrink every thing when you make clothing it may end up too small the first time you wash it. To preshrink batting, put it in the washer and fill with hot water. Turn the washer off!! Do NOT let it agitate!! Let it soak for 10 minutes or so and turn the washer to spin. Dry in the dryer. You'll need to take it out and rearrange it a couple of times. It'll roll itself into a ball and the outside will be dry and the center won't so you need to rearrange it.
    Ditto! If you can, hang it out to dry! I just did a silk jacket with silk batting..glad I washed that batting first!

I always preshrink my batting for clothing. Only once did I learn that lesson the hard way. Sissor Queen is spot on for how to shrink the batting.

Thank you for your advice everyone. Thankfully I have a friend that has a top loading washer. Even the laundromats are front loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
    Thank you for your advice everyone. Thankfully I have a friend that has a top loading washer. Even the laundromats are front loaders.
    I'm curious Gail. Why couldn't you use your front loader?

Blog Entries
    the front loader would be better than top loader... as the front loader is genter on fabrics... but you still don't want it to agitate, just soak a little in hot water, then spin out and I always put in dryer on high heat, make sure it shrinks up all it's going to!
    I quilt for my sanity!

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    I'm curious Gail. Why couldn't you use your front loader?
    Front loaders do not use as much water which would make it harder to soak I would imagin

I don't think you can stop the agitation in front loaders. At least I haven't figured out how to stop the agitation to just let the batting soak & then go directly to the spin cycle.

Blog Entries
    *****WARNING****** I once washed a piece of batting..... it came out in pieces!!!

I had no idea I was not suppose to let the washer agitate! Sure learned my lesson.

I am like you... I pre-wash all my fabrics..but have not tried washing any more batting since then.

I have a front loader. So could I soak the batting in a tub of hot water then spin it in the washer and finally dry it in the dryer?

My front loader has a rinse and spin cycle.
    Fran
    http://franciesboutique.blogspot.com/

I am actually getting ready to do the same thing. I broke down and bought some poly batting at the LQS. It is Quilter's Dream and feels amazing. I tried shrinking Warm and Natural. It shrunk a half inch per yard with a single washing.

My current plan is to use the poly and the prewashed W&N on two matching flannel quilts I made. The flannel was prewashed. I will then wash and dry them both and see how they turn out it comparison and make my final decision on what to use on my jacket based upon that.

You definitely want to preshrink before making a clothing item. If you are doing something that is very dark, I would be hesitant to use a poly unless it has a scrim to prevent migrating fibers. Alternatively, use a black poly batting.
    Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 02-22-2012 at 12:22 PM.

I just soak in hot water and then put into dryer. In the summer I hang it out to dry for a while so it doesn't take as long in the dryer and is more gentle of course than the spinning.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    i do not pre-wash batting any time-for any project! and i've made lots of jackets, totes, home dec items-
    i purchase the batt that is best suited for what i am making- i can simply not even imagine the hassles involved in pre-washing a batt...that just seems---crazy to me- there are so many wonderful batts on the market- with different properties/fiber contents/ shrinkage rates/ quilting requirements- some are specifically made for clothing items- (they say on the package-good choice for clothing items)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy