Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you prewash Warm and Natural Batting?

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I have a queen size that I am going to cut to use for the two baby quilts I am making. I have a front load washer/dryer combo (made for RVs) that has a delicate cycle. I cannot soak in it (that is what the directions on the package say to do). What soap and fabric softener do you use? I am not prewashing fabric because I think it is easier to cut and piece that way. JMHO

No, I have never prewashed my batting. I would think that would be alot of work pressing it to make sure it lies flat when you layer your quilt.

Blog Entries
    I don't prewash either fabric or batting. All gets washed after the quilt is done then it shrinks together if at all.

Blog Entries
    Sorry--double post--itchy fingers :-)

I prewash batting and fabric because I don't like the puckery look after washing.

W&N batting washes great and is so bright after. I don't use fab softener or a dryer sheet and if you take it right out of the dryer you don't have to iron it.

I figure if the quilt is going in the washer when it's done it's going in pieces beforehand. Haven't had a problem yet.

I put my batt in the washer, let it fill with cold water....soak 10 min...spin.... take it out & put it on air fluff in dryer until almost dry, then try to lay it flat until 100% dry.

It will still shrink some, but the end result isn't an "antique" looking quilt, just a well loved one.

I'm not a washer either. I have enough laundry to do without worring about washing fabric or batting. lol I know lazy way out but it works for me.

Blog Entries
    I like the puckery look after the firs wash so I leave my batting alone. If it is very wrinkled, I may toss it in the dryer with a damp towel or just hang it over the banister to hang out.

I don't prewash mine. I like the crinkled look.

I also prefer not to prewash.

I don't pre wash I like the crinkled look.

Blog Entries
    No, I don't prewash any batting.

Blog Entries
    I don't prewash anything unless it's for a swap.

I prewash fabric because (1) color issues and (2) I have found an issue with my bindings pulling away from the sandwich.....

But I have never pre-washed the batting.

I never pre~wash anything..fabric included. And before the quilt leaves my hands I wash it in hot water and dry on high. I figure if it can take like its gonna be living in the real world. Then thats a good thing. =)

I pre-wash both. I don't like the wrinkled look. If I want a quilt to look antique after it's washed I don't wash it. But I prefer for them to look newer longer, so I pre-wash everything.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I've never washed batting although I will take it out, unfold it, and let it "rest" before I use it. Not sure what you call it, sorry. It was what my first instructor told us to do :D

I prewash my fabrics but not the batting. Then I wash the quilt after it is completed. Gives that crinkled look!

I prewash both fabric and batting. Just rinse in hot water and spin dry, then light drying cycle. Hate the crinkled look. Warm and Natural shrinks too much not to treat it first.

Blog Entries
    I do put mine in the dryer for about 10-15 minutes to get rid of all the lint.

I just pre-washed W&N for a more modern type quilt, that I didn't want to be crinkly. I have a top load machine so I did it the way the package instructed, except I did spin it and it was fine. Since you have a front load machine, I would just do a short cycle on gentle and it should be fine, front load machines are gentler even on the regular cycle. I dried mine on low heat and put a clean dry towel in with it, it came out great.

I did one recently. I washed in delicate cycle then dryed on warm setting. It was fine and didn't need to be ironed.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead
    I have a queen size that I am going to cut to use for the two baby quilts I am making. I have a front load washer/dryer combo (made for RVs) that has a delicate cycle. I cannot soak in it (that is what the directions on the package say to do). What soap and fabric softener do you use? I am not prewashing fabric because I think it is easier to cut and piece that way. JMHO
    I pre-wash my Warm & Natural because I don't want the shrinkage afterwards. The makers don't recommend doing it in a washing machine although they acknowledge that some people have good results! I soak it in the Bath with a mild detergent, rinse several times and then squeeze to remove as much water as possibe. I line my spare bed with a sheet of polythene, then a sheet. With my husband's help, we carefully spread it out over the sheet and leave it to dry. (I make sure the windows are wide open to get a good current of air through.) It dries beautifully (takes 2 or 3 days, depending on the weather outside) and doesn't need any fluffing up. I'm amazed at the amount of 'yellow colour' that comes out in the bath! Incidentally, you should never iron batting!

Sorry - just re-read your message - hadn't sunk in that you're in an RV - so what I've written isn't much help to you - but, maybe it is to someone else!

No never heard or read that is necessary

never heard of wasing batting before learned something new today

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast