Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Do you prewash Warm and Natural Batting?

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I don't prewash either fabric or batting. All gets washed after the quilt is done then it shrinks together if at all.
    I agree with you! I don't ever wash anything until the quilt is completed and then it all kind of melds together...

I have washed all kinds of batting in my front loader washer. I most always pre-wash my fabric. I don't want my quilts to have the puckery look especially table toppers, table runners and placemats. When I dry batting and fabric, I don't let it get completely dry and press the fabric and lay the batting on my bed and smooth it out to dry. I've never had a problem and never have to worry about colors running or I use a color catcher.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    Thank all of you for your replies. I cannot trick my washer into anything, the door locks as soon as the water starts. And you cannot open the door of a front loader when there is water in there.
    The NO's are 2 to 1 over the YES's so I think I will not worry but I like the idea of laying it out of the bed for a while.

i always prewash if i'm making a childrens quilt

No, I have never prewashed. I have on occasion put it in the dryer with a damp towel to release some of the wrinkles.

Blog Entries
    No to prewashing Warm and Natural batting. Never have - never will.

I only prewash all my fabrics, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I don't prewash either fabric or batting. All gets washed after the quilt is done then it shrinks together if at all.
    Ditto :)

Blog Entries
    no I don't prewash anything Iv never had any problems with batting or fabric

Never thought of pre-washing the batting!

Why do you need to open the door of your washer before it is finished when washing the batting? I usually just use cool water and no soap in a short cycle to wet the batting or fabric. That way it works for me and no problems.

Banned
    yes ,always.

i prewashed warm and white on my last quilt i made because even tho warm and white only shrinks 3% i didnt want it to shrink at all the key to washing it so it doesnt fall apart is DO NOT let it agitate in the washer, i just filled machine with warm water let it soak for a while then skipped the agitate let it rinse and spin , put it in the dryer and dried it then used it in what i was making

Blog Entries
    I do not prewash my batting either. I like to wash the finished quilt and batting all at one time.

Blog Entries
    I don't pre-wash batting as I like the "crumpled" look for baby quilts. But I always pre-wash the fabric. :lol:

Blog Entries
    I think there are directions right on the package. Don't use soap or detergent. I prewash mine by putting it on a rinse cycle using cold water. I stand right by the machine while it fills, and stop it before it starts agitating. I think you said you have a front fill, so that would be an issue. Spinning the water out is not a problem. Then I just dry it in the dryer. I've never had a problem. Be prepared for at least 3% shrinkage.

I have always used my front loader machine on delicate cycle so it doesn't have to be in the washer too long but it always comes out beautiful, soft and wrinkle free. I have also washed the bamboo-cotton batting the same way.

Once I used a wool batt and it was like butter to hand quilt. It was a twin size. I hand washed it in the bathtub and laid flat in the yard to dry. It came out perfect. It was given to my son and his wife with the instructions that you can't wash it in the washing machine only hand wash. They took it to the cleaners instead and told them it couldn't be washed. However, they washed it and it was now shrunken down to crib size. They collected a $100 or so from the cleaner and just tossed it in the toy box and used it when someone needed a coverup. However I awoke one night and thought the only thing wrong with that quilt was the batt so I unsewed everyone of my hand stitches. I added another border and put the whole thing together again. They love it and they can wash it with the new poly batt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I like the puckery look after the firs wash so I leave my batting alone. If it is very wrinkled, I may toss it in the dryer with a damp towel or just hang it over the banister to hang out.
    Same here. I never pre-wash batting. Sometimes I pre-wash fabric, but not always. Depends if I am using pre-cuts, or if the fabric was cut close..I don't want to run short because of fraying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewverybusy
    Once I used a wool batt and it was like butter to hand quilt. It was a twin size. I hand washed it in the bathtub and laid flat in the yard to dry. It came out perfect. It was given to my son and his wife with the instructions that you can't wash it in the washing machine only hand wash. They took it to the cleaners instead and told them it couldn't be washed. However, they washed it and it was now shrunken down to crib size. They collected a $100 or so from the cleaner and just tossed it in the toy box and used it when someone needed a coverup. However I awoke one night and thought the only thing wrong with that quilt was the batt so I unsewed everyone of my hand stitches. I added another border and put the whole thing together again. They love it and they can wash it with the new poly batt.
    Wow!! Never heard of this problem with a washable wool batting!!

It was quite a few years ago, maybe at that time they didn't have washable wool or the cleaners water was so hot that it did the damage. Never again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3